Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Rant:  the NFHS Pixelot is a terrible quality camera.  The score and time is never right.  There is always buffering or freezing.  The camera quality is about 720p, which is half the quality of the front camera on your iPhone.  
 

Schools are locked into a 5-year contract.  While the camera they lease is free, they get no money for years 1-3, and only get 10% of monthly subscriptions in year 4-5 IF the fan opts in to your school.  They are also required to broadcast any post-season event and cannot set their own price. 
 

It’s nice as a fan to be able to watch every game for $11 a month, but the quality is very poor and schools don’t make hardly any money.  
 

Thoughts? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, brooksville said:

Rant:  the NFHS Pixelot is a terrible quality camera.  The score and time is never right.  There is always buffering or freezing.  The camera quality is about 720p, which is half the quality of the front camera on your iPhone.  
 

Schools are locked into a 5-year contract.  While the camera they lease is free, they get no money for years 1-3, and only get 10% of monthly subscriptions in year 4-5 IF the fan opts in to your school.  They are also required to broadcast any post-season event and cannot set their own price. 
 

It’s nice as a fan to be able to watch every game for $11 a month, but the quality is very poor and schools don’t make hardly any money.  
 

Thoughts? 

It's the "easy buy" for an athletic director who wants to have the whole package taken care of without having to hunt around and find everything on their own...camera, camera operator, and broadcast platform.

But if they'll take the time to do their own research on how to buy and install a tracking camera and some basic broadcast gear, there's much more upside financially for the program.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

It's the "easy buy" for an athletic director who wants to have the whole package taken care of without having to hunt around and find everything on their own...camera, camera operator, and broadcast platform.

But if they'll take the time to do their own research on how to buy and install a tracking camera and some basic broadcast gear, there's much more upside financially for the program.

 

Just now, TheDeuce said:

IMO, more schools should take the initiative to broadcast their own games. If I’m an AD, I’m working on how to broadcast all athletic events. It doesn’t have to be fancy, especially to start. 

Agree on all counts.  Additionally, I think schools owe it to their students to do their own, independent broadcasts.  If anyone has any questions I would encourage them to pick up the phone and call Highlands (the gold standard) or CovCath (another great but different approach) for advice on how to do it. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tyler Conway said:

In my opinion, Hudl Focus is the better option. I have watched numerous games through youtube from schools who use Hudl Focus. Video is very clear and still tracks the ball.

Welcome to BGP @Tyler Conway!

Is Hudl Focus available to the general public and/or are there any restrictions on viewing Hudl Focus?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, brooksville said:

Rant:  the NFHS Pixelot is a terrible quality camera.  The score and time is never right.  There is always buffering or freezing.  The camera quality is about 720p, which is half the quality of the front camera on your iPhone.

Pixelot is its own company, independent of the NFHS Network. My understanding is that the Pixelot cameras are all 1080p...so if you're only getting 720p in your broadcasts, that's an NFHS deal, not a camera deal.

There are lots of streaming OTT platforms out there where monetization paywalls are offered. Just requires a little legwork that the NFHS Network already offers.

PlaySight

Muvi

LightCast

BoxCast

Dacast

Vimeo OTT

PrepSpin

Team1 Prep

Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is after these 5 year contracts end NFHS will have a difficult time getting most schools to re-sign another agreement. We don’t do it at our school. An attorney from Breathitt County has his own streaming service and carries Breathitt, Owsley and Wolfe home games with broadcasters and all. 
It drove  me crazy trying to watch the GRC game and also Fairdale vs Covington Catholic yesterday. Jittery and breaking up constantly. The Ashland- Male game was better quality but the camera wasn’t always on the action. The play would be on one end of the court and the camera view was the other end. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year our (Brossart) NFHS was acceptable, but both our football/soccer at the MAC, and Volleyball/Basketball in our gym has deteriorated dramatically, to the point of being useless.  Our contact continues to work with them to attempt a fix, but so far - Nothing. 

NFHS is a KHSAA moneymaker.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Last year our (Brossart) NFHS was acceptable, but both our football/soccer at the MAC, and Volleyball/Basketball in our gym has deteriorated dramatically, to the point of being useless.  Our contact continues to work with them to attempt a fix, but so far - Nothing. 

NFHS is a KHSAA moneymaker.

I think it speaks volumes about how much the NFHS Network blows when the KHSAA has PrepSpin come in and handle everything for their livestreams of the state finals games and only uses the NFHS Network as their (laggy, hiccup-y) online streaming platform.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, theguru said:

Welcome to BGP @Tyler Conway!

Is Hudl Focus available to the general public and/or are there any restrictions on viewing Hudl Focus?

Most schools live stream the games on youtube through the Hudl Focus. Money isn’t made, however, it’s a free way to stream high school sports to the public.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I think it speaks volumes about how much the NFHS Network blows when the KHSAA has PrepSpin come in and handle everything for their livestreams of the state finals games and only uses the NFHS Network as their (laggy, hiccup-y) online streaming platform.

Speaking of Prepspin, did they offer an additional paid service for the State Football Championships where you could view the games directly from them?

And right CWB, the NFHS platform takes a phenomenal Prepspin broadcast and turns it into "tape delayed" garbage.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Last year our (Brossart) NFHS was acceptable, but both our football/soccer at the MAC, and Volleyball/Basketball in our gym has deteriorated dramatically, to the point of being useless.  Our contact continues to work with them to attempt a fix, but so far - Nothing. 

NFHS is a KHSAA moneymaker.

 

Something is up and in the case of the NFHS the KHSAA is complicit in providing everyone with an inferior product. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The one thing I don’t like about the NFHS Network, is that if the host school video broadcasts games, the KHSAA/NFHS requires the school to put their games on the NFHS Network.  
 

For example, last year in the 39th District and 10th Region Tournament, Mason County was using a Hudl Focus camera.  They broadcasted the game on PrepSpin and charged $10 per game to watch, with 70% going back to the schools.  
 

However, they were also required to simulcast the game on the NFHS Network (With quality slightly downgraded).  Where the price is set by the NFHS set to $11 a MONTH, and the schools get 10% only if the subscriber opts in to their school. 

It takes away autonomy and money from the schools.  
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.