Belfry at East Carter Predictions/Updates

Pirates vs. Raiders  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who advances to Kroger Field?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/27/2021 at 12:00 AM

5uva7t.thumb.jpg.ee1fa1bef11630002885f4607a364f6c.jpg

Pirates pose biggest threat yet to East's dream season

Records: Belfry (7-6), East Carter (11-3)

BGP Ranking: Belfry (#7 in 3A), East Carter (unranked in 3A)

Series History: Belfry leads 2-0 all-time

Table Setter: If the Raiders are dreaming, don't pinch them now. First came a district title and breakthrough win over Ashland, then the program's first ever regional championship, now perennial power Belfry sails into Grayson with a berth in the 3A state championship game on the line.

This is the deepest playoff push in East Carter history, but Belfry has made itself at home in the semifinals over the last two decades. This marks the 16th time in the last 19 years that the Pirates have practiced on Thanksgiving.

Two of 3A's best running backs will be featured in this one. Isaac Dixon and Charlie Terry have carried their teams to varying degrees all year. Next Friday we find out who has enough left in the tank to punch a ticket to Kroger Field.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Belfry routinely hovers around the 55-65 player mark.  Belfry's Middle School and feeder program is a huge part of their success. Lots of coaches and volunteers who have put in hard work and try

Belfry has really benefitted from a Class 3A that has lost it's bite a bit the past three years. Belfry is going through a little lull in the talent pool after a crazy run of talent that culminat

Which team can contain the other teams playmaking RB?   I will roll with the team that has Isaac Dixon on it. His ability to turn a missed assignment or tackle into a big gain is something s

Posted Images

Which team can contain the other teams playmaking RB?

I will roll with the team that has Isaac Dixon on it. His ability to turn a missed assignment or tackle into a big gain is something special.

• Like 3

I’ve seen East 3 times this year but Belfry’s early season test has them more than ready for this game. I can see it being close for the first half but I don’t think East has the man power to withstand 4 quarters of pounding. 

• Like 2

East Carter is better than most people think. They are capable of winning this ballgame. The big question is which team will be mentally prepared to handle the game. You suspect Belfry can because of their experience, but this is all new for East Carter. If the Raiders can weather their emotions early, avoid turnovers, and make a few stops, they could find themselves at Kroger Field.

• Like 2

Keys to Belfry
- Belfry's young LB's need to play their best game of the year. East Carter does a lot of pulling in the run game and lots of mis-direction and window dressing. Terry is a hard runner and if you give him a gap because you were out of position he turns it into a chunk play.

- Last week Belfry had the FB Young and HB2 Zayne Hatfield working and it opened Dixon up from 5-8 yard carries to explosion plays. When the defense has to honor more than just Dixon it changes everything. At least one of those guys has to step up again, if both step up it is going to be VERY difficult for East Carter to get enough stops.

- Keep it clean on offense. No procedure penalties, no fumbled exchanges, no errant option pitches. If they knock the ball lose on the hit then so be it, but the last thing Belfry can afford is to put themselves behind the chains with self inflicted mistakes.

- Keep contain on the Edge. Kozee is a surprisingly good athlete and running threat. He definitely looks to pass first, but he is very much aware and in command with the ball in his hands and doesn't force a lot of throws. If he can scramble he can hurt you and Belfry notoriously has had issues with QB's who tuck and run.

- Special Teams don't have to be special, but they need to be solid. Special Teams pretty much won the game against Bell not because Belfry did anything special, but because they capitalized on Bell mistakes and kept the Pirates in favorable field position. East Carter will go out of their way to keep the ball out of Dixon's hands, so this means Belfry needs to take advantage of that or capitalize if this leads to an error.

Keys to East Carter
- Win the LOS. This is not a vintage Belfry team up front with mammoth big nasties on both sides of the ball. East Carter is bigger and more experienced. Belfry is starting to play well, but East Carter has to bring the fight to them and win the LOS o both sides of the ball to have a chance to win this game.

- Make Belfry pay for too much time. Belfry will routinely only rush three and drop 8 in coverage. East Carter has got to be patient and find the holes in the zone and make accurate throws to extend the drive. As mentioned above, if Belfry loses contain Kozee also has to make them pay with his feet. A scramble for 4 yards is better than an incompletion. If Belfry gives you the window for a 15 yard completion, you have to complete it.

- Tackle like you have never tackled before. Isaac Dixon is a special, special player at the HS level with the ball in his hands. When you have a chance to tackle him you have to get him on the ground. If you miss just one tackle and Dixon can get accelerated, it could be a long TD anytime he touches the ball. Bell County never learned this lesson. They continued to try and tackle him high or by reaching and all they saw were brake lights when the play was over.

- Find a TD. If both teams do what they want to do then the clock will move and possessions will be at a premium. If East Carter can find a TD it may be the difference in a win or loss. Force a deep turnover, dial up a trick play, block a kick, return a kickoff deep into Belfry territory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a game I know little about, but from reading this thread it should be a pretty entertaining game.

I picked Belfry because of their name and tradition, but kinda hope East Carter breaks through.

Would be really memorable for them.  Good luck to both teams.

Hey @ATLCat, this matchup reminds me of the Garrard/Belfry game ten years ago. Obviously Belfry is the big name, with East Carter the unknown. Garrard executed well in that game and took it to the wire, although a couple of mistakes still haunt the loss. I think East Carter is capable of the same but any mistakes could well be the difference.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

This is a game I know little about, but from reading this thread it should be a pretty entertaining game.

I picked Belfry because of their name and tradition, but kinda hope East Carter breaks through.

Because of BGP I have met so many great people from Belfry and I always root for them but anytime a team can breakthrough like East Carter it is hard not to root for them. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

Belfry has really benefitted from a Class 3A that has lost it's bite a bit the past three years.

Belfry is going through a little lull in the talent pool after a crazy run of talent that culminated with arguably a couple of the better small school teams in KY history. 

Belfry won the title a couple years ago but they were not nearly as dominant as we had seen and 3A lost some heavy hitters to other classes that would have challenged them more, then they really lost a ton of depth on top of that. Belfry has been fortunate to have Isaac Dixon, who can be argued may be the best back in Belfry's storied history. Ashland threw the clamps at Belfry in the Semi's last year then went on to win the Title, this year's Belfry team only dresses under 40 total players and they took some lumps playing a killer schedule. The playoffs though kind of have laid out favorably for them, but make no mistake this is not by any stretch of the imagination a Pirate team like some of those juggernauts we have seen.

Help is on the way though, Belfry has won back to back Middle School State titles this year and last year. 

East Carter definitely has a shot at pulling this one out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, ATLCat said:

Belfry has been fortunate to have Isaac Dixon, who can be argued may be the best back in Belfry's storied history. 

this year's Belfry team only dresses under 40 total players 

Belfry has won back to back Middle School State titles this year and last year. 

East Carter definitely has a shot at pulling this one out.

Big Words!

Only 40?  How many is typical on the Belfry roster?

Belfry is always good at the MS level.

Will keep up with this one!  Good game!

6 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Hey @ATLCat, this matchup reminds me of the Garrard/Belfry game ten years ago. Obviously Belfry is the big name, with East Carter the unknown. Garrard executed well in that game and took it to the wire, although a couple of mistakes still haunt the loss. I think East Carter is capable of the same but any mistakes could well be the difference.

I actually thought about that this week. I have been keeping an eye on East Carter all season and this does have a similar feel.

Ironically that Belfry team also had a big play guy named Dixon (Josh Dixon, not related as far as I know).

I am not sure East Carter has the playmakers that Garrard did. I think you could argue Garrard had the three best players on the field that night. With that said, Belfry was a team who was surging that season and a pretty complete overall team, this year they really rely on Dixon to stir that drink.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, theguru said:

Because of BGP I have met so many great people from Belfry and I always root for them but anytime a team can breakthrough like East Carter it is hard not to root for them. 

I just had to come back and tell one story that puts me in this same boat Guru.

In 2013, Bowling Green HS Star WR & Mr. Football Nacarius Fant's Senior Year, the 5A State Championship games was moved from Saturday night to Sunday afternoon due to an ice storm.  @Watusi, a longtime Belfry Fan and his friends, had purchased the full State Championship games ticket suite that year, as Belfry was really strong that year going 14-1 only losing to Johnson Central and defeating a very talented Wayne County team for the 3A title at WKU 3-0).  But that game was on a Friday.  He planned to stay and go home Saturday after all the State Championship games.  So, he gave me his tickets for Sunday (wouldn't let me pay for them) if I promised to get PurpleHaze (a Long time Respected Member of BGPs and long time BGHS player and fan) to the game, which I did.  But I will never forget that gesture and getting PH to see that State Championship game, which the Purples won.

I have to get to a Belfry game sometime.  I plan to after my youngest daughter graduates HS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1