Brown

Who wins  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins

• Woodford County
    • Covington Catholic

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Brown said:

Woodford has beaten Glasgow and Franklin County.  CovCath looks to have played the toughest schedule though.  Will the colonels shake up the 5A semifinals? Who wins and why?

Looks to have? It's not even debatable. Still Woodford is at home and has been dominating teams. Looking forward to this one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FWIW, Calpreps rates their opponents like this:

1. Elder (CovCath - LOSS)
  2. Ryle (CovCath)
  3. Lexington Catholic (Cov Cath - LOSS)
  4. Franklin County (WC)
  5. Glasgow (WC)
  6. Dixie Heights (CovCath)
  7. Conner x 2 (CovCath)
  8. Highlands x 2 (CovCath)
  9. Cooper (CovCath)
  10. Paul Dunbar (WC)
  11. Collins (WC)
  12. West Jessamine x 2 (WC)
  13. Belfry (CovCath)
  14. Tates Creek (WC)
  15. Simon Kenton (WC)
  16. Madison Southern x 2 (WC)
  17. Boone County (CovCath)
  18. Campbell County (WC)
  19. East Jessamine (WC)

On the whole, Covington Catholic has played the tougher schedule. They've also lost to two of those good teams. But Woodford County has two of the three best wins among the two teams. I'm prepared to say Covington Catholic's schedule has been tougher but I'm not prepared to see wins over Franklin County and Glasgow dismissed as nothing because Covington Catholic beat Ryle and lost to Elder.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

FWIW, Calpreps rates their opponents like this:

1. Elder (CovCath - LOSS)
  2. Ryle (CovCath)
  3. Lexington Catholic (Cov Cath - LOSS)
  4. Franklin County (WC)
  5. Glasgow (WC)
  6. Dixie Heights (CovCath)
  7. Conner x 2 (CovCath)
  8. Highlands x 2 (CovCath)
  9. Cooper (CovCath)
  10. Paul Dunbar (WC)
  11. Collins (WC)
  12. West Jessamine x 2 (WC)
  13. Belfry (CovCath)
  14. Tates Creek (WC)
  15. Simon Kenton (WC)
  16. Madison Southern x 2 (WC)
  17. Boone County (CovCath)
  18. Campbell County (WC)
  19. East Jessamine (WC)

On the whole, Covington Catholic has played the tougher schedule. They've also lost to two of those good teams. But Woodford County has two of the three best wins among the two teams. I'm prepared to say Covington Catholic's schedule has been tougher but I'm not prepared to see wins over Franklin County and Glasgow dismissed as nothing because Covington Catholic beat Ryle and lost to Elder.

That's a good post. But the three best wins is an arbitrary place to stop. CovCath has 7 of the top 9 wins is another way to look at it. 

9 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

Looks to have? It's not even debatable. Still Woodford is at home and has been dominating teams. Looking forward to this one.

I brought some info over from the other thread and posted it above.

On the SOS debate, there is zero doubt Cov Cath has played a stronger schedule. However, Woodford County has two very good wins (Franklin County, Glasgow). Those two teams are ranked just behind Cov Cath on calpreps.com. Cov Cath is #19 in the state and Franklin County is #23; Glasgow is #25. Woodford County's schedule and wins show they are capable of beating Cov Cath.

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I brought some info over from the other thread and posted it above.

On the SOS debate, there is zero doubt Cov Cath has played a stronger schedule. However, Woodford County has two very good wins (Franklin County, Glasgow). Those two teams are ranked just behind Cov Cath on calpreps.com. Cov Cath is #19 in the state and Franklin County is #23; Glasgow is #25. Woodford County's schedule shows they are capable of beating Cov Cath.

I never said otherwise? Just commented on the SOS.

I think this is one of the better matchups in the state this Friday.

Just now, colonel-fan said:

I never said otherwise? Just commenting on the SOS.

I think this is one of the better matchups in the state this Friday.

That wasn't meant specifically for you. There was a lot of discussion in the other thread that seemed to discount Woodford County's schedule.

When I look at SOS, I look for two things. One, quality of the schedule overall. Two, what wins does a team have against quality opponents. Playing a very strong schedule doesn't mean much if a team doesn't get wins against some of those tough opponents. Woodford County has wins against high quality opponents.

I know this will probably be an unpopular post; however, I am just not on the Woodford bandwagon.  They are not battle tested for this deep in the playoffs, while Cov Cath is completely tested.  I know Woodford has some athletes but experience rates very high this deep.  Saw Woodford’s game with Franklin and thought Franklin lost the game more than Woodford won it.  I’ll take Cov Cath by 10.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paul Dean said:

I know this will probably be an unpopular post; however, I am just not on the Woodford bandwagon.  They are not battle tested for this deep in the playoffs, while Cov Cath is completely tested.  I know Woodford has some athletes but experience rates very high this deep.  Saw Woodford’s game with Franklin and thought Franklin lost the game more than Woodford won it.  I’ll take Cov Cath by 10.

Why would that be an unpopular post?

1 minute ago, Paul Dean said:

Cov Cath is playing their best football of the year. Woodford is perhaps a slight favorite because of their overall season long performance. For me, this is a pick 'em game because Cov Cath is playing well and has gained confidence the past few games.

• theguru changed the title to Woodford County vs. Covington Catholic Predictions/Updates
  • Colonels_Wear_Blue locked this topic