Covington Holy Cross at Beechwood Predictions/Updates

nkypete

Who wins between Covington Holy Cross and Beechwood?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins between Covington Holy Cross and Beechwood?

• Covington Holy Cross
    • Beechwood

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/13/2021 at 12:30 AM

Unfortunately injuries are a part of the game.  With that in mind, when you are playing an inferior opponent and you are up by five or six touchdowns, or more, I think it would do all coaches good to remind themselves of what is really important.  Some coaches may decide they want to come out in the second half and do whatever with their starters and other coaches may decide not to tempt fate.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bjaynes said:

What if that player was injured in the first quarter?

You're completely missing my point here, buddy. I understand injuries can happen on any given play at any given time. However, I am simply wondering why have them out there when the game is already out of reach. Since injuries can happen anytime, why risk it when you're winning by 40+

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bucketgetter said:

You're completely missing my point here, buddy. I understand injuries can happen on any given play at any given time. However, I am simply wondering why have them out there when the game is already out of reach. Since injuries can happen anytime, why risk it when you're winning by 40+

I understand that perspective as well. 

4 hours ago, Bucketgetter said:

Will Beechwood send the starters back out for the second half if they have a running clock after two injuries back to back weeks to key contributors?

Definitely. Not even a second thought on it. Not discounting the injuries. But the system has produced 4 state titles in the last 5 years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

If have running clock at halftime then I wouldn't play starters any in 2nd half. I think you have to do a risk vs benefit analysis. More risk in getting starters hurt than the benefit of playing them. 

Especially in that scenario because everyone cools down and then has to warm back up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

If have running clock at halftime then I wouldn't play starters any in 2nd half. I think you have to do a risk vs benefit analysis. More risk in getting starters hurt than the benefit of playing them. 

Where do you flip to the second team? Do you leave starters in the entire first half regardless of score? Do you yank starters at 36 in the first half?

45 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Where do you flip to the second team? Do you leave starters in the entire first half regardless of score? Do you yank starters at 36 in the first half?

Great questions. Ask 10 people and you will more than likely get 10 varying answers. The narrative on this thread has been pulling "starters" to avoid injury and also not pile on the points into a heap of embarrassment to the opponent. However, the kids replacing the starters are for the most part going in cold and might be at more risk for injury. That opens up another can of worms. I do not think there is a definitive right or wrong answer here with so many variables in play. 

If you’re saying pull the starters as soon as the game reaches a running clock or don’t send them back out after halftime in a blowout, then Beechwood would likely go 7 weeks without the starters playing more than a half (last 4 of the regular season and first 3 of the playoffs). 

The starters are then expected to flip a switch that hasn’t been flipped in nearly 2 months and be ready for a 4 quarter battle in the semifinals? 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

If you’re saying pull the starters as soon as the game reaches a running clock or don’t send them back out after halftime in a blowout, then Beechwood would likely go 7 weeks without the starters playing more than a half (last 4 of the regular season and first 3 of the playoffs). 

The starters are then expected to flip a switch that hasn’t been flipped in nearly 2 months and be ready for a 4 quarter battle in the semifinals? 

A quandary for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I don't have a problem with starters in 1st half even if 36 but generally I would pull them once hit running clock since nearly impossible for other team to come back once running clock gets going. Also, can always put starters back in if back ups were so bad that other teams makes big come back.

44 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

I know can't control district but would schedule teams that not going to put running clocks on for out of district games.