Open Job: Marion County

Who ever the Knights pick, it needs to be someone with a strong backbone.  They need to have the guts to say it is their program, if you don't like the rules then you can't be part of it.  Someone to take a big part in the little league and middle school programs.  There are athletes in Marion County, they just need some discipline and tough love.  I don't see them getting an established coach, it probably will be an up and coming first time head coach.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is certainly not as "bad" of a job as it seems on paper. Marion County definitely has the guys to field a solid team; someone just has to get them out. Playing 4A football with a roster just over 30 kids is very tough. But if you get some new guys out and have some decent X's and O's that district looks very winnable. I'm interested to see who they move forward with. 

On 11/8/2021 at 12:26 AM, WishboneCity said:

This is certainly not as "bad" of a job as it seems on paper. Marion County definitely has the guys to field a solid team; someone just has to get them out. Playing 4A football with a roster just over 30 kids is very tough. But if you get some new guys out and have some decent X's and O's that district looks very winnable. I'm interested to see who they move forward with. 

I agree with all of this. Marion County has had moments of success throughout their history but have struggled of late. That said, they've also had two different head coaches pass away due to cancer in the last decade, which is almost unfathomable. The right person can be successful at Marion but this is an important hire for the trajectory of their program.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2021 at 10:25 AM, gchs_uk9 said:

I agree with all of this. Marion County has had moments of success throughout their history but have struggled of late. That said, they've also had two different head coaches pass away due to cancer in the last decade, which is almost unfathomable. The right person can be successful at Marion but this is an important hire for the trajectory of their program.

I agree that this hire really has an opportunity to change the trajectory of this program, with an up and down history. Ironically, the two guys that have the responsibility to make this hire are former football coaches (AD and Principal). Talk about an opportunity to really do it right one time. Admin has to support marion county football like they never have before, especially financially. Who knows, we'll see.