Week 9 Rankings and CFP Predictions

Walter

In case this is your first year watching college football, the nitpicking of resumes has gone on for decades, with it really taking a prominent role with the inception of the BCS. The saving grace for the Bearcats compared to previous non-P5 schools is they started the season ranked relatively high. Normally at this juncture these schools are knocking on the door. Cincy is inside a crowded party. This is good!

Barring something unforeseen, UGA will enter the SEC title game undefeated. The nightmare scenario for the Bearcats is Bama to win out and for them to pull out a victory against the Dawgs. Then we are down to two spots. 

Again, Cincy has to kick butt and take names on their way to an undefeated season. Being in a battle in consecutive weeks with one win teams does nothing but cast doubts... and justifiably so. As a non-P5 team trying to make a case, you can't go with the "oh, everyone has a bad week" excuse against another (one win) non-P5 team. Fair or not, those are the rules. Given their position and ranking, I do believe they control their destiny if they bring the pain these next five weeks. These previous non-P5 schools did not have that luxury.

I believe that I understand the thinking of the CFP committee.  An undefeated undefiled UC is like that cute girl that you want to wait and finally marry some day.  But a Power 5 team is like that hot babe that you want to take to prom to impress your friends no matter how many times that she has been around the block (translation: losses).