3. Glasgow vs. 4A Franklin-Simpson

4. Mercer County at 5A West Jessamine

5. Belfry vs. 4A #3 Johnson Central

6. Union County vs. 4A Calloway County

7. Bell County vs. 4A Harlan County

8. Lawrence County at 1A #2 Raceland

9. Ashland -- OPEN

10. East Carter vs. 2A Martin County

We've spent much of the year talking about the balance in Class 3A and how several might be title contenders. Is that still the same today? In my opinion there are four potential winners - CAL, Bardstown, Glasgow, and Belfry. Belfry because their side of the bracket should be easier. Do you think anyone outside of those four are legitimate threats to win Class 3A?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

We've spent much of the year talking about the balance in Class 3A and how several might be title contenders. Is that still the same today? In my opinion there are four potential winners - CAL, Bardstown, Glasgow, and Belfry. Belfry because their side of the bracket should be easier. Do you think anyone outside of those four are legitimate threats to win Class 3A?

In a normal year I am not sure any of those four teams,  save maybe CAL, are even Top 5 teams in 2A or 3A.

4 hours ago, ATLCat said:

In a normal year I am not sure any of those four teams,  save maybe CAL, are even Top 5 teams in 2A or 3A.

I think that’s a overstatement yeah Beechwood and LCA are really good but the rest of 2A are not very good and to assume that Bardstown and Glasgow wouldn’t be ranked in the top 5 is ridiculous. As far Cal that’s all I’ve heard about for weeks is how much better they were then the rest of 3A so they better win it or there’s going to be a lot of people on here eating crow. I don’t see what all the hype is with them you take away that Mercer game and what have they really done. How do we know some other teams couldn’t do that to Mercer or better yet how do we know that Mercer just didn’t have a bad game and might flip the script in the playoffs.

• Like 1

Bardstown looks like they are starting to get the missing pieces to the puzzle. Fairdale was supposed to be a tough game, but a great week of practice had the Tigers really come out swinging. Getting Poynter and Keowen back at linebacker relieved them of having to start freshmen, and move Williams back to corner where he belongs. Defense much more aggressive. On offense, finally got Raley back that gave Clark the dual wideout threat to throw to with Tonge that he had earlier in the year against John Hardin and Etown. Most well-rounded game of the season. I like where we are.

• Like 1

Totally agree. When Bardstown has everyone available they go from really good to really, really good. Offensive numbers are impressive all the way around. They have the top rated QB in 3A in Brady Clark. Throwing at 68% accuracy for 215 yds. per game. Has Tongue, Raley, Greenwell, Washington to spread the ball to. Two quality backs in Greenwell and Washington.  Greenwell is 2nd in 3A in scoring with 19 TD followed closely by Washington with 18 TD.  Bardstown is 1st in 3A in scoring at 45.8 points per game.  1st in scoring margin at 25.7.  1st in 3A in Team Passing.

On the defensive side of the ball, having everyone back on the field is a huge plus.  They are playing more aggressive and with those who have been out back, their defense is solid.  

So I cannot understand why they are not getting the respect they deserve. 9-0 speaks for itself.  Numbers speak for itself.  Coach Clark and staff are doing a fantastic job with this team.  As it should be, the quarter final games and going forward will be tough matches no matter who they play.  Obviously you got to get the job done when it matters most.  Anxious to see how the next 6 weeks play out.    

40 minutes ago, Zeleke3 said:

So I cannot understand why they are not getting the respect they deserve. 9-0 speaks for itself.  Numbers speak for itself.

Where is this lack of respect you're referring to? They've been ranked in the top three on BGP almost all year. They spent two weeks at number one. They've been in the top three of the RPI all season, although the two ahead of them might cause Bardstown to play a third round game on the road. People love them. Computers love them. They are among everyone's favorite to win Class 3A.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Zeleke3 said:

Totally agree. When Bardstown has everyone available they go from really good to really, really good. Offensive numbers are impressive all the way around. They have the top rated QB in 3A in Brady Clark. Throwing at 68% accuracy for 215 yds. per game. Has Tongue, Raley, Greenwell, Washington to spread the ball to. Two quality backs in Greenwell and Washington.  Greenwell is 2nd in 3A in scoring with 19 TD followed closely by Washington with 18 TD.  Bardstown is 1st in 3A in scoring at 45.8 points per game.  1st in scoring margin at 25.7.  1st in 3A in Team Passing.

On the defensive side of the ball, having everyone back on the field is a huge plus.  They are playing more aggressive and with those who have been out back, their defense is solid.  

So I cannot understand why they are not getting the respect they deserve. 9-0 speaks for itself.  Numbers speak for itself.  Coach Clark and staff are doing a fantastic job with this team.  As it should be, the quarter final games and going forward will be tough matches no matter who they play.  Obviously you got to get the job done when it matters most.  Anxious to see how the next 6 weeks play out.    

Glasgow on the other hand have lost people as the season wears on first it was their starting quarterback John Myers who broke his thumb on non throwing hand however he has a cast on it. He has been playing defense and even came in and played offense on one drive last week. He even threw three or four passes how he was able to catch the ball out of the shot gun and throw passes with a cast on is crazy to me. And then in the Taylor game they lost their leading rusher and receiver on the season in Hunter Scott with a broken leg. Now Glasgow has a ton of skill people and I’m sure it’s next man up but that’s two pretty big losses.

9 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

Glasgow on the other hand have lost people as the season wears on first it was their starting quarterback John Myers who broke his thumb on non throwing hand however he has a cast on it. He has been playing defense and even came in and played offense on one drive last week. He even threw three or four passes how he was able to catch the ball out of the shot gun and throw passes with a cast on is crazy to me. And then in the Taylor game they lost their leading rusher and receiver on the season in Hunter Scott with a broken leg. Now Glasgow has a ton of skill people and I’m sure it’s next man up but that’s two pretty big losses.

I hate to hear that about both those kids, but especially Hunter Scott. He is a great ballplayer, and is great with the ball in his hands. That really hurts Glasgow, he was a big part of that team. Hope both of those young men heal up quick and wish nothing but the best for them. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Tkinslow said:

Thanks for the information.  I do hate that those kids will not be able to continue.  I do not want to see/hear of any kid being injured.  In earlier posts, it seemed as some people thought Cal and Glasgow were somewhat better that Bardstown.  Maybe I interpreted it wrong.  Yes BHS has stayed in the top 3.  Now they will have to prove it throughout the playoffs.  I like their chances.

10 minutes ago, Zeleke3 said:

Thanks for the information.  I do hate that those kids will not be able to continue.  I do not want to see/hear of any kid being injured.  In earlier posts, it seemed as some people thought Cal and Glasgow were somewhat better that Bardstown.  Maybe I interpreted it wrong.  Yes BHS has stayed in the top 3.  Now they will have to prove it throughout the playoffs.  I like their chances.

Bardstown's strength of schedule is not as good as CAL or Glasgow. Bardstown squeaked by in the games against their three best opponents. Those are the holes in their resume.

12 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Where is this lack of respect you're referring to? They've been ranked in the top three on BGP almost all year. They spent two weeks at number one. They've been in the top three of the RPI all season, although the two ahead of them might cause Bardstown to play a third round game on the road. People love them. Computers love them. They are among everyone's favorite to win Class 3A.

I can somewhat see where the “lack of respect” comment is coming from.  I’ve read in many different threads about how 3A is weak and in a “normal” year Bardstown, Glasgow, etc wouldn’t be ranked as they are.  That feels like a lack of respect.  It feels like it waters down what the kids at these schools have worked so hard for.  And as a side note…when trying to find a game during open weeks there were LOTS of schools in all different classes that didn’t want to risk playing one of these teams.  So whoever does win in 3A should feel darn good about their accomplishment!

• Like 3