Manual vs. Male Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/29/2021 at 11:30 PM

#1 Male (8-0) travels to #4 Manual (7-2). Male is coming off a 55-14 win over Bullitt East. Manual is coming off a 46-8 win over Butler.

Common opponents:

Male 51 Ballard 14

Manual 47 Ballard 14

Male 28 St. X 21

St. X 42 Manual 10

Male 49 Floyd Central (IN) 0

Manual 34 Floyd Central (IN) 7

Male 47 Butler 6

Manual 46 Butler 8

This is the oldest rivalry in Kentucky and one of the oldest in the Nation with their first meeting in 1893. Last year was the first time they haven't met for many years due to covid cancelling the game. Manual last won in 2013. 

Mr. Football contender for Manual RB JuWaun Northington who will be a focus of Male's defense will have to have a good game for Manual to pull the upset. Male's rushing defense is yielding a stingy 44 yards a game to counter Northington. Manual has a good defense, but will have to stop Male's multiple threats with big RB Daniel Swinney, Wisconsin commit WR Vinny Anthony, and very good QB Nic Schutte. Can Manual pull the upset in the Old Rivalry?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Male wins, but closer than the experts think. I know it was week 3, but Male gave up almost 200 rushing against St. X. I see Manual being able to get Northington going and keeping it close. Male in a close one, 21-17.

Manuel has been pointing to this game for the last several years. They have put together a very solid team and this rivalry game has been exciting for a long, long time. Nothing like Manuel Stadium on the last Friday in October. With all that being said, this Male team is good and has a chance to be special.  I don’t see them giving the barrel back here. Taking Male 38-14. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LongTimeReader said:

I think Male wins, but closer than the experts think. I know it was week 3, but Male gave up almost 200 rushing against St. X. I see Manual being able to get Northington going and keeping it close. Male in a close one, 21-17.

Sorry, but every week all the Crimsons seem to have is Northington. I never see any other player's name come up as a plan B to support Northington. 

Such a one dimensional team has no hope against the Bulldogs.

This is a special rivalry.  Over 100 years of playing each other.  You just don't see that very often anywhere.  Walking the halls at Manual they have the old photos hanging in the hallways -  late 1800s to present - It is really cool to see.   The kids get fired up for it and they should!

Male has certainly dominated of late.  I got to see them scrimmage BG in August and they are super talented all over.

I have watched these 2 play the last several years with the last 2 games closer than most anticipated.

Rivalry games are different and that's why I give Manual a chance in this game.  It wouldn't be easy and they would have to win the turnover battle and most everything go their way, but after those last 2 games, Manual is due to get some of those breaks.  Manual didn't play well against St X and in order to play with Male they can't come out and go down 14-0 right out of the gate.  They are going to need the flags to go their way as well.

But it will be a great atmosphere at the Old Stadium Friday night.  What high school football is all about.

I'll take Manual in the upset 21-20.  It's supposed to rain on Thursday and maybe some on Friday.  That would help Manual I think more than Male.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Some old picks from 1937 game. My grandfather was RB for Male's 1937 undefeated team. Got these pics from his scrapbook he made that season.

D5F82DE3-D2AA-41BF-ADB5-CC876B49BECF.jpeg

DB18300A-22E4-4B68-8860-8F1DE3CC5E97.jpeg

Thanks for sharing!  Are the "Reds" Manual?  I guess so.  Love the refs outfits!!!

I'll echo what @Purple88 said… Manual can't afford another slow start like they had against St. X. They can throw the ball well enough when it's on their terms, but the passing game doesn't appear refined to the point where it can win games for them. They need to establish the ground game first and let that open up some opportunities down the field. You could say that about every game they play, really.

If they fall behind by multiple scores and have to play catch-up, it plays right into Male's hands. The Dawgs can pin their ears back and get after Wilson, allowing the secondary to feast on any potential mistake throws that come from Male pressure and Manual being out of its element.

I think the Crimsons will learn from their mistakes against St. X enough to keep this from being another 42-10 type game, but I'm still taking Male by a comfortable margin.

• Like 1

Northington and Anthony deservedly get most of the ink as the standout players for this game, but Daniel Swinney has established himself as one of the state's top backs as a junior. He's had some monster games this year, and has been Male's most consistent offensive force week to week. He could end up being every bit the factor in this game that Northington is, and could even upstage him. He's that good.

HERE is some tape for anyone not familiar with Mr. Swinney.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DevilMayCare said:

Northington and Anthony deservedly get most of the ink as the standout players for this game, but Daniel Swinney has established himself as one of the state's top backs as a junior. He's had some monster games this year, and has been Male's most consistent offensive force week to week. He could end up being every bit the factor in this game that Northington is, and could even upstage him. He's that good.

HERE is some tape for anyone not familiar with Mr. Swinney.

Swinney leads 6A in scoring with 128 points.