4th & 40 Conversion

ChiefSmoke

32 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Can't say I've seen a 4th down converted with that long of yardage. Really surprised how bad DeSales is this year. 

They sure didn't look bad when they drove it down the field and went up 7-0.  Their talent level is not what it was in the past, but they still have some good players. They are well-coached and play hard. Lots of pride in that program.

They will be tough when we play them again in two weeks.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Jason Bucklen said:

Russellville ran a converted a  4th and 41 on a fake punt against Beechwood in the semis in 2018. I’m pretty sure it was that amount but I could be wrong. 

It was 2016 that Beechwood played Russellville in the semi-finals. I can't help on the 4th down conversion. I don't recall that.

1 minute ago, rocksdad said:

What was the thought process? Up by 20 with roughly 4 minutes left. A lot of coaches would have punted. Did you just feel like you needed the points for the rpi?

I think we have alot of room for improvement and needed to keep playing.  Some of the things we did on those last two 4th down plays were big improvements over our execution on the same stuff, earlier in the season. Our kids need to see on video how much difference it makes when you do what you are suppose to do, full speed. 

If it had been a running clock, would not have done that. At the time, we were only up 3 scores and they had been moving the ball well against us. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChiefSmoke said:

They sure didn't look bad when they drove it down the field and went up 7-0.  Their talent level is not what it was in the past, but they still have some good players. They are well-coached and play hard. Lots of pride in that program.

They will be tough when we play them again in two weeks.

I don't doubt the play hard but don't have depth why 2-8 and you put 41 on them. Not near DeSales of past. I pull for them but just not their year.

3 hours ago, rocksdad said:

What was the thought process? Up by 20 with roughly 4 minutes left. A lot of coaches would have punted. Did you just feel like you needed the points for the rpi?

RPI does not take points scored into its equation.

• Like 3

Suppose Mercer is down late in a 3rd or 4th round playoff game and takes a sack or bad penalty and has a long conversion to try to pull a late rally to move on to the next round?  How do you simulate that really well in practice?  Coach was working on HIS team.  That's what he's supposed to do.  DeSales is not terrible.  They had success running and throwing at several times in the game.  If working on situational things makes you better when you play them again in round one or maybe helps you play a better game against a really tough CAL then do it.  I'm not sure I've met a coach who respects and stands up for all football coached like the Chief does.  You work on your team. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1