When will Newport Central Catholic get back to the Championship Game?

Bac2369

Newport Central Catholic hasn’t been to the finals since 2015. There last title came in 2012 where they defeated Caldwell County 30-26. Since the start of the 6 Class era Newport Central Catholic has been to the finals 7 times. They are 2-5 in that time. 

What’s your thoughts and opinions on this matter? Why haven’t they made it back? Give us some insight.

• Bac2369 changed the title to When will Newport Central Catholic get back to the Championship Game?

I’d say has some to do with population in the school. They have been slowly declining in numbers. Less numbers, less athletes. 

The biggest thing has to be though, schools moving up or down in class. Mayfield moving up to 2a took some wind out of their sails, then you have Desales who had their run for a while. 1A is Pikeville’s. It’ll be a while before they can put together a team that has the capability, I think to compete with the mountain schools that year in and year out at the top of the rankings. In the next 10 years we will see a state title? 

I think Pikeville is a clear #1 and Raceland a clear #2. I don't think New Cath can beat either one of them. That means no title game appearance.

I think New Cath will have to play their best game of the year to get to the semifinals. The way it shakes out right now in RPI, if the favorites win their districts in rounds 1 and 2, New Cath will be the lowest seed in the west. That means New Cath will definitely be on the road in round 3 and likely facing Russellville. Russellville is a tough place to travel to.

• Like 2

1A appears to be very weak overall so this year is not out of the question but doubtful.  With that said again 1A appears to be very weak and if NewCath has a decent team any year I think they have a chance to get back to the finals. 

To answer the question, no clue...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ImJustHere said:

1A is Pikeville’s.

I suspect Pikeville may be in 2A come the next alignment. How the KHSAA handles enrollment numbers for this year and last (when attendance numbers have been in flux and not measured the same as the past) will be interesting to see when it comes to the next alignment. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I suspect Pikeville may be in 2A come the next alignment. How the KHSAA handles enrollment numbers for this year and last (when attendance numbers have been in flux and not measured the same as the past) will be interesting to see when it comes to the next alignment. 

I wish Pikeville was in 2A this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I wish Pikeville was in 2A this year. 

Maybe this should be in another thread but where would Pikeville rank if they were in 2A? I would say they would be ranked 4 behind LCA, Beechwood, and Mayfield. Would make for an interesting Semifinal round if it were. 

• Like 1

NCC appears an I use the word appears as an onlooker to be having enrollment issues and issues with having the number of athletes to sustain the level of sports success they have had in the past.  Being "landlocked" I just wonder if they even have the ability to increase enrollment.  It seems the athletics issues are a direct link to their enrollment issues.

• Like 1

Going to be a long time before that happens. Newcath needs to figure out how to get enrollment up. Is it the facilities keeping kids from going there? I don't know the answer to when this football program gets back to the championship game but having a less than stellar football program isn't a good thing. Can the current coaches and admin get enrollment back and attract the athletes? 

17 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

When is the next realignment? My Pikeville friend’s said they  don’t think they will move up to to 2a. 

10 hours ago, Jason Bucklen said:

I wish Beechwood and Pikeville would start a home and home series. This is one of the best rivalry’s in the state. 

Unfortunately, the way KHSAA RPI is set up, that would be a negative for Beechwood. Playing teams below your class hurts. Finding 5A and 6A teams you can beat is the way to go in KHSAA RPI.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Unfortunately, the way KHSAA RPI is set up, that would be a negative for Beechwood. Playing teams below your class hurts. Finding 5A and 6A teams you can beat is the way to go in KHSAA RPI.

Are they finished with Paintsville after this year or is that a 2 year deal?