Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

For Officials Bashers

Featured Replies

  • Author

I see your point quick, I think you misunderstood part of my post (I love my job and couldn't treated better at work), and I catch quite a bit of abuse because of things said on the air. My point with that statement was, do people come to your place of employment and criticize your every move. I don't know who you are, but if you are a coach, you probably do understand and the official is your "natural enemy." If you are a coach, you might also be a teacher, so how would you feel if a parent came into your room while you were lecturing and started tearing you performance apart. Then came on here and started posting that you are a terrible teacher, your lectures were filled with gramatical errors and misstated facts. Talk about little recourse, by the way, I dare say it would be very tough to get rid of an bad teacher (especially one that is tenured).

 

I agree with the fact that coaches have a very tough job as well, it was never my intention to downplay the abuse that coaches incur, I know that side of things as well. But again, just because someone is in a position such as coach or referee, that doesn't give people the "right" to abuse them, verbally or otherwise.

 

The whole intent of this thread was to make people aware of the fact that whining and crying about officials does no one any good. It was also meant to allow someone, anyone, reason to pause the next time they want to post negatively about an official by thinking "can I really do better than that guy? Do I want that job?" I am not disagreeing with you on this matter. I just feel that it is unfair for us to bash guys who obviously get out there and do their best. I realize that there aren't very many good ones out there, but I also know that the vast majority of the officials out there do the best they can and do you really expect more than that?

 

There is recourse to get rid of the bad ones. Coaches have "scratches" to use at their discretion each year. If an official gets enough of those, he will not work! A lot of our coaches won't use their scratches, why? I don't really know.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another expert on court position? Since you already have this aspect of the game down you should take GoRadios advice and sign up.

 

Just because one official is closer to the play than another does not mean it is his responsibilty to make a call on that play. I can think of many examples where the exact opposite is true.

 

By the way......nice cotton shirts now days...........

As already pointed out by likearock in an earlier post, getting in position is part of it. My beef is when they are out of position and make a call anyway. I suppose that sort of thing doesn't happen though since they are professionals and getting paid. FWIW, I think that most do a very good job. Others, not so much. IMO when you leave a game and can't recall who the officials were, they did a fine job. Some however, are the focus of games and that shouldn't be so either. So, to sum up StripedShirt, I wasn't bashing officials, only stating my only gripe with a very small portion. I also have stated in other threads how well certain games have been officiated previously. But like most, when the crew comes out prior to the game, some officials warrant the collective "groan" when you see who got to call your game that night. Comes with the territory. Perhaps you are a bit thin-skinned on the subject! Try not to be so defensive, I wasn't hacking on them! I can however!:thumb:

 

On another sidenote, just because some folks gripe about officiating, I wouldn't assume they know nothing about the subject, you may be surprised how much they do know about officiating!

Get on it Spindoc. Nice Job, well said.

This might be the absolute worse quote ever typed on BGP...

 

Lets talk about getting in position to get the angle to get the call right. Lets talk about floor coverage. Lets talk about focus. Lets talk about mechanics so that everyone knows what was called. Lets talk about hustle. Lets talk about being in decent shape to run the floor with the great athletes in high school sports. Lets talk about the act of shooting. Lets talk about 4 rule books. Lets talk about the walk call. Lets talk about the block/charge call. Lets talk about game management. Need we talk any more...

 

None of this is so called, "grade school".

 

The grade school comment was in reference to 110764's post...and I stand by my remarks that there are a host of grade school ball players that work harder during the course of a game than a number of officials I've seen.

 

...and do you really want to talk about officials "being in decent shape to run the floor with the great athletes in high school sports?"

I stand by my comment that in the vast majority of cases the officials do a better job of officiating than the players do of playing the game, at ANY level. I said nothing about how hard grade school kids play. In some cases they actually play harded than some higher level players. However, working harder doesn't always result in better results. As has been stated in many comments, if you aren't satisfied with what you see do something about it, like becoming an official yourself. No one is above criticism, be it official, coach, or player, but ALL are entitled to be treated in a humane way. Some things that are said during games are blantantly wrong, and would never be said to someone's face if it were outside the gym. A $5 ticket doesn't entitle ANYONE to be abusive to a player, coach, or official.

I stand by my comment that in the vast majority of cases the officials do a better job of officiating than the players do of playing the game, at ANY level. I said nothing about how hard grade school kids play. In some cases they actually play harded than some higher level players. However, working harder doesn't always result in better results. As has been stated in many comments, if you aren't satisfied with what you see do something about it, like becoming an official yourself. No one is above criticism, be it official, coach, or player, but ALL are entitled to be treated in a humane way. Some things that are said during games are blantantly wrong, and would never be said to someone's face if it were outside the gym. A $5 ticket doesn't entitle ANYONE to be abusive to a player, coach, or official.

 

Awesome post! :thumb:

A $5 ticket doesn't entitle ANYONE to be abusive to a player, coach, or official.

 

:thumb:

most parents and coaches only remember the calls that doesn't go in their favor. when the game is over most of the time the fouls for both teams will be very close in the score book.

all posts I believe show one true point, Officials should be subject to review. If a coach or player does not perform, he/she is reprimanded for this. If an official is consistently calling poorly, what is actually done? For those officials that work hard and try and learn as much as they can to improve their performance, I commend you. I can honestly say though, our system for officiating is "broken." When you show up for a job that you make in excess of 35-55 dollars an hour you should in my opinion perform like you DESERVE this type of MONEY. Officials not only received a per game raise this season, but schools are now required to carry more 3 man crews. I am sure that schools want to get the most for their money, so please, whoever is in charge of hiring the officials, take the time to make sure the ones you choose are worth the money from your CUSTOMERS. If not, you are no better than the officials you send.

most parents and coaches only remember the calls that doesn't go in their favor. when the game is over most of the time the fouls for both teams will be very close in the score book.

 

Having watched MANY games over the years, it is not the ending foul count that most complain about, it is the fouls that are called before the count is EVENED.;)

For what it is worth, I always have felt that the officials in the Bluegrass Association (serves the 10th and 11th regions and supervised by Rick Chasteen) are the best officials in the state. Yes, I have disagreed with calls but for the most part they do a good job.

 

I find it interesting that players are not expected to make every shot or never turn the ball over. Coaches make calls/substitions that sometimes don't work. BUT officials are NEVER supposed to err.

 

They are held to a standard even higher than Christians in this country. Never supposed to make a mistake.

For what it is worth, I always have felt that the officials in the Bluegrass Association (serves the 10th and 11th regions and supervised by Rick Chasteen) are the best officials in the state. Yes, I have disagreed with calls but for the most part they do a good job.

 

I find it interesting that players are not expected to make every shot or never turn the ball over. Coaches make calls/substitions that sometimes don't work. BUT officials are NEVER supposed to err.

 

They are held to a standard even higher than Christians in this country. Never supposed to make a mistake.

 

Interesting post! :thumb:

When you show up for a job that you make in excess of 35-55 dollars an hour you should in my opinion perform like you DESERVE this type of MONEY.

 

Officials not only received a per game raise this season, but schools are now required to carry more 3 man crews.

 

Just curiously, where is it that officials make that kind of money? They certainly don't in our region.

 

The only 3 man crews that are required for regular season, I believe, are for district games.

I stand by my comment that in the vast majority of cases the officials do a better job of officiating than the players do of playing the game, at ANY level. I said nothing about how hard grade school kids play. In some cases they actually play harded than some higher level players. However, working harder doesn't always result in better results. As has been stated in many comments, if you aren't satisfied with what you see do something about it, like becoming an official yourself. No one is above criticism, be it official, coach, or player, but ALL are entitled to be treated in a humane way. Some things that are said during games are blantantly wrong, and would never be said to someone's face if it were outside the gym. A $5 ticket doesn't entitle ANYONE to be abusive to a player, coach, or official.

 

:thumb: You are becoming my hero...

all posts I believe show one true point, Officials should be subject to review. If a coach or player does not perform, he/she is reprimanded for this. If an official is consistently calling poorly, what is actually done? For those officials that work hard and try and learn as much as they can to improve their performance, I commend you. I can honestly say though, our system for officiating is "broken." When you show up for a job that you make in excess of 35-55 dollars an hour you should in my opinion perform like you DESERVE this type of MONEY. Officials not only received a per game raise this season, but schools are now required to carry more 3 man crews. I am sure that schools want to get the most for their money, so please, whoever is in charge of hiring the officials, take the time to make sure the ones you choose are worth the money from your CUSTOMERS. If not, you are no better than the officials you send.

 

I agree...but you need to work on your math...it's $55.00 per game, no gas money, no pay for wear and tear on your vehicle, you must be at game site one hour before scheduled game time, you may have to travel 50 to 100 miles, so add this time...oh yea, lets not forget the cost of uniforms etc...

 

Now do the math and see how close to minimum wage you get.:eek:

 

Schools are required to have 5 three person officiating crews per season in the 16th region. Not a bad start in the state known for basketball since every single state that borders kentucky uses 3-person crews on every game.

To make it worse, the district, regional and state tournaments all use 3-person crews so you would think that the refs could use a little more hands on training in the regular season to get ready for the post season.

 

The supervisor of officials should know everything it takes to help officials improve but he depends on others. I agree with this part of your post 100%:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.