Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

For Officials Bashers

Featured Replies

  • Replies 48
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have citisized from time to time (mainly the on the Mercer TD when the foward progress was stopped). Having said that, I think that I have been fairly consistent I believe in getting on fans for blaming officials. Most times if not all the time a person can look back at the teams mistakes made during a game and see it was from those mistakes that the team lost rather than an official's call/calls.(including the Russell/Mercer game). I wouldn't want their job.

 

(for a minuite there I thought that you had posted in the wrong forum GR, I was sure it was going to be another Tubby Basher's thread - LOL)

In my opinion almost always the officiating is better than the quality of play, whether it be grade school through the pros. People just remember their calls more than the missed layups, free throws, etc.

My biggest beef with officials is when they make calls when they are out of position. When there is an official out near half court calls a foul under the basket that an official 3 ft from the play and looking at it doesn't. That bothers me alot, otherwise it is a thankless job. I also wouldn't want to wear the black polyesters!:cool:

No offense--but this is bull........

 

The last time I checked:

*Officials get PAID to do their job

*Officials CHOOSE to do their job

 

No one is putting a gun to their head to do this .....

 

Some people definitely take things too far--but if an official doesn't know what he/she is getting into when they decide to be an official--that is their problem.

 

And no offense--but officials in football and basketball (this year) have been the worst that I have ever seen. (Which is crazy--because I think that they were the best that I had ever seen just last year).

 

It is getting old hearing about the poor, mistreated referee's all of the time. Especially considering the fact that the KHSAA doesn't ever hold them accountable for their poor performance. When a coach says or does something stupid--you hear about it everywhere ..... but when it is an official --- it is hushed up and no one ever speaks about it.

Here is a link to the KHSAA application for officials:

 

http://officials.khsaa.org/officialinterest.htm

 

As my old coach used to say, "If you can do better, do it, if you can't, shutup!"

 

How cute...except most coaches can't do what it is they are attempting to teach their players.

 

I and others have previously and, I think, quite satisfactorily qualified our criticism of officials with an acknowledgment that they are, in most cases, fine men and women without whom the games we love to see our kids play would not take place.

 

That said, as long as those same kids continue to work to improve their skills year round, and practice and play as hard as they do...and as long as the parents of those kids continue to invest much of their own lives, time and money into the dreams and aspirations of their children, they and others will be critical of officials...when those officials make mistakes.

 

Hey...players make bonehead plays and are chastened by coaches...and dads. Refs make bonehead mistakes and I see no reason why they should be considered above criticism.

No offense--but this is bull........

 

The last time I checked:

*Officials get PAID to do their job

*Officials CHOOSE to do their job

 

No one is putting a gun to their head to do this .....

 

Some people definitely take things too far--but if an official doesn't know what he/she is getting into when they decide to be an official--that is their problem.

 

And no offense--but officials in football and basketball (this year) have been the worst that I have ever seen. (Which is crazy--because I think that they were the best that I had ever seen just last year).

 

It is getting old hearing about the poor, mistreated referee's all of the time. Especially considering the fact that the KHSAA doesn't ever hold them accountable for their poor performance. When a coach says or does something stupid--you hear about it everywhere ..... but when it is an official --- it is hushed up and no one ever speaks about it.

 

You the man!!:thumb:

No offense--but this is bull........

 

The last time I checked:

*Officials get PAID to do their job

*Officials CHOOSE to do their job

 

No one is putting a gun to their head to do this .....

 

Some people definitely take things too far--but if an official doesn't know what he/she is getting into when they decide to be an official--that is their problem.

 

And no offense--but officials in football and basketball (this year) have been the worst that I have ever seen. (Which is crazy--because I think that they were the best that I had ever seen just last year).

 

It is getting old hearing about the poor, mistreated referee's all of the time. Especially considering the fact that the KHSAA doesn't ever hold them accountable for their poor performance. When a coach says or does something stupid--you hear about it everywhere ..... but when it is an official --- it is hushed up and no one ever speaks about it.

 

:thumb: :ylsuper:

In my opinion almost always the officiating is better than the quality of play, whether it be grade school through the pros. People just remember their calls more than the missed layups, free throws, etc.

:thumb: :thumb:

In my opinion almost always the officiating is better than the quality of play, whether it be grade school through the pros. People just remember their calls more than the missed layups, free throws, etc.

 

I for one remember every missed shot, every mistake and every display of improper attitude by the players. Furthermore, I would suggest that even grade school ballplayers have to work harder to do their job correctly than does an official.

I for one remember every missed shot, every mistake and every display of improper attitude by the players. Furthermore, I would suggest that even grade school ballplayers have to work harder to do their job correctly than does an official.

 

This might be the absolute worse quote ever typed on BGP...

 

Lets talk about getting in position to get the angle to get the call right. Lets talk about floor coverage. Lets talk about focus. Lets talk about mechanics so that everyone knows what was called. Lets talk about hustle. Lets talk about being in decent shape to run the floor with the great athletes in high school sports. Lets talk about the act of shooting. Lets talk about 4 rule books. Lets talk about the walk call. Lets talk about the block/charge call. Lets talk about game management. Need we talk any more...

 

None of this is so called, "grade school".

  • Author
Hey...players make bonehead plays and are chastened by coaches...and dads. Refs make bonehead mistakes and I see no reason why they should be considered above criticism.

 

Aha! But get on here and talk about a player making a bonehead play and your thread will be erased! Start talking about a coach or dad too much and they lock the thread up! But talking about a poorly officiated game and the flood gates open for anyone.

 

I never said officials were above criticism. And as previously stated by another poster, they do know what they are getting into when they accept the job. But let me ask you this, how many of you have someone come to your office and verbally criticize you at work when you make a mistake (other than your boss). Or worse yet, have someone come into an internet forum and let the whole world know how bad you are at your job! The price of admission to a ball game or the price to be on BGP gives no one the right to abuse another!

 

Another thought, when was the last time you saw a post on BGP about how well a game was officiated? I understand that officials are in the "public eye" so to speak, but that gives no one the right blast them. In most cases, those doing the bashing are from the losing teams. When was the last time you won a game on bad officiating and came on here abused the officials?

 

Please don't take any of this personally, I am not singling you out Himmel, these questions are for all who read them! I am just tired of hearing the whining about officials. Look at any game and you will find plenty of opportunities for a team to overcome a poorly officiated game with execution.

 

Nuf said by me, let the Radio Announcer bashing begin!!

My biggest beef with officials is when they make calls when they are out of position. When there is an official out near half court calls a foul under the basket that an official 3 ft from the play and looking at it doesn't. That bothers me alot, otherwise it is a thankless job. I also wouldn't want to wear the black polyesters!:cool:

 

Another expert on court position? Since you already have this aspect of the game down you should take GoRadios advice and sign up.

 

Just because one official is closer to the play than another does not mean it is his responsibilty to make a call on that play. I can think of many examples where the exact opposite is true.

 

By the way......nice cotton shirts now days...........

I never said officials were above criticism. And as previously stated by another poster, they do know what they are getting into when they accept the job. But let me ask you this, how many of you have someone come to your office and verbally criticize you at work when you make a mistake (other than your boss). Or worse yet, have someone come into an internet forum and let the whole world know how bad you are at your job! The price of admission to a ball game or the price to be on BGP gives no one the right to abuse another!

 

To answer your question ...... there are many people who have to deal with their boss blowing up at them (in public or in their office) every single day. (That whole line of conversation had me shaking my head .... I had to wonder about your work experience there--and that isn't meant as an insult--even though it probably sounds like one).

 

As a coach ....... I have to wonder ... have you ever heard the things that people yell at us? It seems like you have missed that. Lets not forget that coaches usually get even worse treatment than officials. Not to mention the nasty phone calls in the middle of the night, the for sale signs in the yard, etc, etc. And that comes from our OWN FANS! I have heard a lot of stories like that for coaches--but very few (more like NONE) when it comes to refs. (the phone calls/for sale signs, etc). That doesn't even begin to mention the public insults in the papers, tv, radio, etc. Refs are usually protected from that kind of stuff. Heck--in the pro's--you get fined if you say something about the refs (as a player or a coach). In high school--the refs have the power to kick you out of a game (and the next game)--and there is very little discretion there other than the refs personal opinion--and that my friend, IS A JOKE! There are very few officials who should have that kind of power ..... because they usually carry some of the blame as well. (Not all of the blame--but some of it).

 

Now--the difference is .... you don't hear a lot of coaches complaining about that stuff ... simply because they UNDERSTAND THAT IT COMES WITH THE TERRITORY. It is part of the job that they are paid to do. (And when it is all said and done--most officials probably make more per hour than any coach). Maybe officials should take a page from that book.

 

I agree that there is very little to justify any of that kind of stuff. But--again--it comes with the territory. From where I sit--there are a lot of good refs--but there are just as many bad refs. But there is very little recourse when it comes to getting rid of the bad ones. So--I have a real hard time feeling sorry for that group.

 

You may also notice that the refs who are good--usually don't get the same kind of negative attention (which can't be said for coaching and a lot of other professions).

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.