Reds vs. Brewers (5/21 - 5/23)

Here we go with the revolving door roster again.  Instability in the roster, leads to discontentment and a lack of confidence.  Same old, same old.

The new guys look OK the first time through and then get shelled the second time around until they get sent back, and others take their place.  Any positive chemistry in the clubhouse gets diluted by the addition of all the new slugs. 

If MLB players wouldn't take off for two/three weeks every time they bump into the wall or trip over a base, there wouldn't be the need for the constant influx of new bad players.

The Cain catch in centerfield was a spectacular catch FOR HIM.  Billy Hamilton makes it look easy.  Tough catch nonetheless.  Well done! 

I'm happy for Winker, he appears to be a clean cut straight arrow with his priorities in order.  What we used to call a role model.

It was refreshing hearing the perspectives of the FS1 broadcast team.  I thought the lead man was pretty good and did his homework.  The color man was bland and brought nothing to the broadcast.  Back to Sadek and Larkin, and oh! how great we all are, on Saturday and Sunday.  

Hoffman was really lucky that he didn't get chased early.  Even a blind squirrel.              You can't lose them all.'  Meanwhile Pittsburgh is getting beat 20-0 by Atlanta.

6 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

So Fulmer gets designated two days after he is brought in to keep a 1-0 game close?  Just tells you how clueless David really is in running a professional team.  

You put that on David Bell? He isn't the one putting the roster together.

35 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

You put that on David Bell? He isn't the one putting the roster together.

You mean to tell me he has no say in the roster?  Do you really believe that?  Yes David Bell made decision to insert him into a 1-0 game in which he proceeded to give up 3 more.  I realize it is a 162 game season, you cannot win them all, but you also cannot throw in the towel when down 1-0.  I was not a fan of Brian Pryce and not a fan of this guy either.  At the end of the day, this organization is just not run efficiently from top to bottom.  Need to draft better and do much better configuring a roster year over year.  Picking up guys off the scrap heap that other teams have thrown away is not successful in today’s game.

8 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

You mean to tell me he has no say in the roster?  Do you really believe that?  Yes David Bell made decision to insert him into a 1-0 game in which he proceeded to give up 3 more.  I realize it is a 162 game season, you cannot win them all, but you also cannot throw in the towel when down 1-0.  I was not a fan of Brian Pryce and not a fan of this guy either.  At the end of the day, this organization is just not run efficiently from top to bottom.  Need to draft better and do much better configuring a roster year over year.  Picking up guys off the scrap heap that other teams have thrown away is not successful in today’s game.

Yes, he makes the decision on who to pitch from what is available on game day. Yes, he has input on moving players up and down from the minors. What he has to choose from is a different story.

He doesn't make the decisions on the roster. I guarantee you David Bell would want Iglesias and Bauer on this roster but they aren't here. I guarantee you Bell would rather have a true full time SS on the roster. The players available on that 40 man roster are not David Bell decisions.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Yes, he makes the decision on who to pitch from what is available on game day. Yes, he has input on moving players up and down from the minors. What he has to choose from is a different story.

He doesn't make the decisions on the roster. I guarantee you David Bell would want Iglesias and Bauer on this roster but they aren't here. I guarantee you Bell would rather have a true full time SS on the roster. The players available on that 40 man roster are not David Bell decisions.

Thus my comments about the organization as well.  As the old saying goes you get what you pay for.  

1 hour ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I love Suarez and if you would’ve told me he’d look this bad for 100 games I would’ve said you’re crazy!!  Just can’t believe it!!

I can't help but think that moving him to shortstop, a position that he has no business playing, has had an affect on his offensive game as well.  

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

I can't help but think that moving him to shortstop, a position that he has no business playing, has had an affect on his offensive game as well.  

I could buy that if he did not stink it up last year. The problem is him hitting a bunch of homers 2 seasons ago.  If you really watch his swing you see him pulling off of everything and trying to hit it out of the park.  The result is a low batting average which then causes him to press and have little confidence at the plate right now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

I could buy that if he did not stink it up last year. The problem is him hitting a bunch of homers 2 seasons ago.  If you really watch his swing you see him pulling off of everything and trying to hit it out of the park.  The result is a low batting average which then causes him to press and have little confidence at the plate right now.

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

He didn't play SS last year and he was almost as bad as this year.

While it is true that his batting average last season was not pretty at .202, he was still on a pace to hit 42 homers and drive in 108 runs with a perfectly respectable .781 slugging percentage.  

The biggest problem with his swing is that he's trying to pull everything.  In 2018, when he hit .283, his pull percentage was 25.6%.  It increased to 37% in his 49 homer season in 2019 and is all the way up to 39.6% this season.  

• Like 1