Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bias in the AP poll?

Featured Replies

Originally posted by theguru

I just finished reading through the other thread (3A Rankings) .

 

How long did it take? :lol:

  • Replies 39
  • Views 17.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Polls aren't worth anybody's time with the way Kentucky football is structured. You make the playoffs based on how well you perform in your district. Then, if you make it to the playoffs, you are seeded based on your district performance, not your poll standings.

 

Westsider, you put together a nice argument, but in the end, these polls are nothing more than things that fans like you and I talk about on BGP. They are primarily intended to generate interest and debate. So in that respect, the pollsters did their job to perfection.

Originally posted by WHO YA WITH

Nice work westsider!:thumb:

I personally learned something. So thank you.

 

Ditto for me too!! Good job!!

Originally posted by squibb

I thought it was a good effort at trying to show why the teams from the North are not represented well in the AP Poll. That is what you have been harping on for the last 3 days, right?

 

Westsider made a good argument and it was based on some guesswork, but it seems to me like it was educated guesswork, something you wouldn't understand.

 

Why don't you just be honest and say "I'm mad because Pikeville ain't getting no love from BGP" instead of trying to argue with the only guys who get the polls halfway right every week?

 

I'd like to see the Panthers up there in the polls every week and I know it would be a source of pride for my son. But I have told him to keep playing hard and take care of business and the rest will fall into place. Then it will mean so much more when you actually deserve the respect you get.

 

Good Job BGP, you guys rock.:thumb:

 

 

This has nothing to do with Pikeville. :rolleyes:

Don't forget that Middlesboro has a Daily paper also. It's called the Middlesboro Daily News.....

  • Author

If I posted an essay arguing that the world was round, I suspect Mtnfootballfan would dispute it ...

 

Otherwise ... thanks for the love, guys.

Originally posted by theguru

Right on westsider!

 

I just finished reading through the other thread (3A Rankings) and I have come to the same conclusion. HE thinks our poll has a NKY bias when compared to the AP Poll when if fact I think it's a lot more likely that the AP Poll has an anti-NKY bias by default. You did a great job of bringing some attention to the problem.

 

I want to hear from HE on this one???

 

 

Mtnfootballfan,

 

Read back through the thread, you are the ONLY ONE that thinks westsider is way off base. Instead of standing in your glass house throwing stones why don't you make a counter argument? Could it be that you can't? If you make some good points everyone will give you your due but right now all you are doing is alienating yourself from everyone on this forum with your combative attitude.

 

Not trying to be combative, just know better. Leave me out of it and compare Hoosier Eagle's arguments to westsider's guesswork. No comparison. I enjoy your polls, but if you put them out you need to be able to take some heat. This forum has a knack for stifling opposing views. Like you said, I am the only person who will come forward and disagree with westsider, and it is tearing you people all to pieces, and alienating me. In the future I will keep my opinion to myself unless I agree with the crowd.

You are at it again. Give us some of your own supporting opinions instead of just saying westsider is wrong.

 

I like people that disagree but if you are not going to support your arguments then maybe you should keep quiet.

 

I have thick skin and I can take a lot of heat but you haven't scored any points yets.:flame:

Originally posted by theguru

You are at it again. Give us some of your own supporting opinions instead of just saying westsider is wrong.

 

I like people that disagree but if you are not going to support your arguments then maybe you should keep quiet.

 

I have thick skin and I can take a lot of heat but you haven't scored any points yets.:flame:

 

I already pointed out the many instances of guesswork in westsider's post, but no one wants to hear it. So the group counters the argument that BGP is partial to NKy teams since they rank NKy teams much high than the AP poll EVERY TIME with the argument that the AP poll is biased against NKy teams. If you really believe than then I don't want to try to talk you out of it. Like I said, I will refrain from posting unless I agree with everyone! I am totally :sssh:

Originally posted by Mtnfootballfan

I already pointed out the many instances of guesswork in westsider's post, but no one wants to hear it. So the group counters the argument that BGP is partial to NKy teams since they rank NKy teams much high than the AP poll EVERY TIME with the argument that the AP poll is biased against NKy teams. If you really believe than then I don't want to try to talk you out of it. Like I said, I will refrain from posting unless I agree with everyone! I am totally :sssh:

 

It's not about bias. Did you read anything I said in an earlier post? Each AP voter bases their individual poll on their knowledge. Their knowledge basically covers their region. If they don't know anything about other regions, they look at records. Looking at the AP polls over time, this has been a clear cut, distinct pattern.

 

At BGP, the voters have a plethora of information on which to base their polls. Info from all over the state. Each voter makes out an educated polls each week. If they are unsure about a team, they ask. I don't think anyone who votes on these polls would throw a team in just because they are 2-0 (unlike several AP voters).

 

Point is, the reason why NKY teams are ranked higher at BGP is because they know what they are talking about.

Originally posted by Mtnfootballfan

Leave me out of it

When you make a statement like you did on your first post in this thread it is kind of hard to leave you out of it.

 

Originally posted by Mtnfootballfan

but if you put them out you need to be able to take some heat. .

When you make a statement like you did on your first post of this thread you need to be able to take a little heat, and not explaining yourself makes it look like sour grapes. If you make a statement you need to be able to take some heat.

 

 

I agree with Booneriii, and if you look at the AP poll you will see some do not take the time to vote for the A or AA schools, why is that? could it be they have no clue about A or AA football?

 

Being a Beechwood fan I would love to see Beechwood ranked #1, but the fact is they dont' deserve it, Yet! On the other side I do not see how anyone would vote Bellevue as a top ten team, a win over Dayton doesn't do it for me. But I do not know how the rest of the state is this year in A football, so I take the word on the serious football fans on this board (who I guess are Mods as well) when they come out with a poll...:)

Originally posted by booneriii

We have discussed this before, and that's another reason why I don't like the AP poll very much.....participation. So many media outlets, yet so few reporters voting. It's seems to me that most of them don't care.

 

I don't think the participation is that bad when you consider there are only 25 (or so) daily newspapers in Kentucky. Very, very few weeklies would be interested in voting or are eligible because they don't have AP.

Originally posted by HDE

I don't think the participation is that bad when you consider there are only 25 (or so) daily newspapers in Kentucky. Very, very few weeklies would be interested in voting or are eligible because they don't have AP.

 

Any AP member -- TV, radio, and newspaper -- is eligible to vote in the polls and for all-state people. However, the AP membership is dwindling because they are charging a lot to be an AP member and most people are starting to get their news from the Internet -- the latter is true especially for weekly papers and radio stations

...what about all of the other AP media outlets, television and radio stations, who are qualified to cast ballots but do not participate? I feel like a citizen of a former communist-bloc country who did NOT have the opportunity to vote, and was amazed that many citizens of western countries who DID have the PRIVILEGE chose not to exercise it. Their lackidasical attitude destroys the potential validity of the poll. :irked:

Originally posted by Oxnard

Their lackidasical attitude destroys the potential validity of the poll. :irked:

 

I think that is the point we've been making about their accuracy....

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.