Sacred Heart 49 Marshall County 47 (Sweet 16® Championship)

Josie Gilvin is your tournament MVP. She had 27 steals in four games, including five tonight. She also pitched in 8 rebounds, 5 assists, and 5 blocks. Ralston (18) and Wolff (10) finished in double figure scoring.

Langhi (19 pts/7 rebs) and Conner (16 pts/6 ast) were rocks for the Lady Marshals in defeat. 

• Like 1

Joe Tracy's assessment is spot on.

The Lady Marshals shot 13% from beyond the arc and 59% from the free throw stripe.

Sacred Heart scored 17 points off of 17 Marshall County turnovers.

The call/no call on the last play was not      the difference maker of this game.

The only play I saw was the last one, from Matt Jones Twitter feed. But that was a horrible no-call, again from the one vantage point I saw.   I don’t know if they were in the bonus; if not, I don’t know how much time was left so I’m not sure it made the difference.  Still.  Horrible swallowing of the whistle.  I don’t use the choke word much - it’s way overused.  But.....goodness.  Had the same reaction at the end of Baylor/UConn, when the Baylor kid was assaulted by 2 different Connecticut players and the officials called nothing.  Shameful. 

• Like 3

DMC mentioned who returns for SH next season. After another impressive year, I know I'll follow what's in store for the Lady Marshals:

Will Cayson Conner become Miss Basketball this year? Where will she play in college?

Halle Langhi is an amazing player. Is she the front-runner for Miss Basketball next year?

Sophie Galloway is one of the nation's top jumpers/heptathletes. We get to see her continue to break records at this year's state meet. Will the UT Volunteer signee be a future Olympic champion?

There's an excellent chance Coach Aaron Beth extends the Lady Marshals record for Sweet 16 appearances next year. Congratulations on a great season!

• Like 1

All-Tournament selections:

Marshall County - Cayson Conner, Halle Langhi, and Layne Pea.

Sacred Heart - Triniti Ralston, Alex Wolff, and Sweet 16 MVP - Josie Gilvin.

Great article with photos, interviews, and the All-Tournament Team ~

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/high-school/sports-awards/2021/04/10/khsaa-girls-sweet-16-sacred-heart-beats-marshall-county-title

Official box score and play-by-play summary:

girls15_(1).pdf

7 hours ago, Mojocat said:

The only play I saw was the last one, from Matt Jones Twitter feed. But that was a horrible no-call, again from the one vantage point I saw.   I don’t know if they were in the bonus; if not, I don’t know how much time was left so I’m not sure it made the difference.  Still.  Horrible swallowing of the whistle.  I don’t use the choke word much - it’s way overused.  But.....goodness.  Had the same reaction at the end of Baylor/UConn, when the Baylor kid was assaulted by 2 different Connecticut players and the officials called nothing.  Shameful. 

Could make the argument that both kids had right to the ball but, I agree, that one would be called on defense most of the time

18 hours ago, Runcible Owl said:

Joe Tracy's assessment is spot on.

The Lady Marshals shot 13% from beyond the arc and 59% from the free throw stripe.

Sacred Heart scored 17 points off of 17 Marshall County turnovers.

The call/no call on the last play was not      the difference maker of this game.