North Carolina’s next Head Coach is

Tomcats1990

If they were 100% committed to keeping it in the UNC family, then they didn’t have a ton of hot coaches to choose from. 

Absolutely foolish to me. I don’t care if the next UK coach can point out Kentucky on a map. Hire the best available no matter what coaching tree he comes from. 

• Like 3

Who are the "hot" coaches? Few, Drew, Cronin, and Sampson aren't going anywhere. If you hire an assistant, why not go with a guy that is invested in the school, knows the players, and was respected by the fan base. I just don't think that there are a bunch of big name coaches interested in leaving and going to a new job. Heck, the entire team could enter the transfer portal!

4 hours ago, MBWC41 said:

If they were 100% committed to keeping it in the UNC family, then they didn’t have a ton of hot coaches to choose from. 

Absolutely foolish to me. I don’t care if the next UK coach can point out Kentucky on a map. Hire the best available no matter what coaching tree he comes from. 

Forcing yourself to stay "within the family" for a coach makes as much sense as forcing yourself to stay in-state for your talent. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

Who are the "hot" coaches? Few, Drew, Cronin, and Sampson aren't going anywhere. If you hire an assistant, why not go with a guy that is invested in the school, knows the players, and was respected by the fan base. I just don't think that there are a bunch of big name coaches interested in leaving and going to a new job. Heck, the entire team could enter the transfer portal!

I agree on Few. He’s not leaving Gonzaga. 
I wouldn’t consider Cronin a huge name yet. 
Sampson was probably never in contention because of his age. 

I see no reason why UNC couldn’t lure Drew away from Baylor though. 
They may have contacted a number of coaches who wouldn’t accept. None of us know.

I think it was assumed by most that they would hire a UNC guy. That seems silly to me.

To be fair, I know nothing about Hubert Davis. He very well could be the next John Wooden.

I’d love to know if they contacted Billy Donovan. I’ve always wondered if he’d come back to the college ranks for a few teams. I have to wonder how happy he is without Westbrook and Durant.

48 minutes ago, MBWC41 said:

To be fair, I know nothing about Hubert Davis. He very well could be the next John Wooden.

I’d love to know if they contacted Billy Donovan. I’ve always wondered if he’d come back to the college ranks for a few teams. I have to wonder how happy he is without Westbrook and Durant.

Without Durant sucks. Without Westbrook is probably a blessing.

• Like 1