Corbin - 2021 Schedule

On 3/7/2021 at 9:11 PM, gchs_uk9 said:

Welcome to BGP! Awesome facility. Will Corbin be playing at Rhea in the future or is this a one-time Cumberlands Falls bowl game?

I believe it’s going to be a two year deal. Unless we have something happen like last year with COVID and all. We were going to play a team out of North Carolina, but had to cancel since NC started their season later than TN. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2021 at 9:02 PM, Rhea Co. said:

Greetings from Rhea County! I’m looking forward to kicking off the season in Corbin this fall. It will be a great test to see where we stand for sure. We are coming off a good season at 10-2 with a region championship but we got put out by the eventual 5A runner-up. We are going to be very young at some spots again, but the young guys are pretty talented. 

We are about 3 hours away in between Knoxville and Chattanooga. We should be a top 10 5A team if not a top 5. I think we are still a year away from being able to make a legit run in the playoffs. 

I don’t know much about Corbin other than you guys traditionally have very good teams year in and year out, Longmire and Patterson are both highly touted recruits and you guys knocked off one of the best out of Tennessee in Alcoa a few years back. That loss still remains as the only loss for Alcoa outside of their cross county rival Maryville in the last 6 years. 

7367EA98-C444-4CA3-AF0D-18EC64FDD433.jpeg

Welcome to BGP @Rhea Co.!

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, Rhea Co. said:

Well I hated to see this but apparently Rhea Co will not be playing Corbin this year. I was told today Rhea Co will now be playing at Alcoa on Aug 20th. 

Do you know why the change? Covid reasons related? 

17 hours ago, DearToday said:

Do you know why the change? Covid reasons related? 

I haven’t heard from the coach or athletic director yet on what the reasoning is. One of those two made the call on I’m sure. This late in the process really sucks to make a change. 

I’m good friends with the former athletic director and he is usually in the know about a lot things. I may see if he knows reason. I’ll be honest I’m disappointed because I love watching teams we normally don’t get to see play and teams that are out of state. I like seeing how we match up. Some times we get our butts whipped like when we play Prattville Alabama or Cathedral out of Indy. Then there are teams out of NC that we match up well against. 

Now we get Alcoa which Corbin has played before. Trust me when I say Alcoa is still alittle salty from the last time you all played. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have to wonder whether or not Corbin has asked Knox Central if they'll check with the KHSAA to move their district game up to Week 1 so they can take advantage of bowl sponsorship for both teams? I'd have to think the KHSAA would be okay with it given the fact that Rhea County pulled out so late.

The only downside would be the fact that the game is scheduled to be AT Knox Central this year, and it was a blowout win for Corbin last year.

1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I have to wonder whether or not Corbin has asked Knox Central if they'll check with the KHSAA to move their district game up to Week 1 so they can take advantage of bowl sponsorship for both teams? I'd have to think the KHSAA would be okay with it given the fact that Rhea County pulled out so late.

The only downside would be the fact that the game is scheduled to be AT Knox Central this year, and it was a blowout win for Corbin last year.

Knox Central is playing Clay County in Week 1. The team with an open date is KNOTT Central, a different school and more importantly for this discussion, a completely different level of program. 

• Like 1

There has potentially been some movement on the Corbin/open week situation. Bell County, who had their August 20 game with Jeffersonville (IN) canceled due to Covid, is now scheduled to face North Laurel in the opener. North Laurel was originally scheduled to play Paintsville. Neither Paintsville or Corbin is showing a game on August 20 - could that game be in the works?

2 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Corbin will now be hosting Christ School (NC) on Friday in the Cumberland Falls Pigskin Classic.

The Christ School is a 8-12 Episcopal boarding school, and the defending NCISAA Division II state champions.

That's a really nice pickup for Corbin on such late notice after Rhea County dropped out of the bowl. Should be a very good ballgame.