University of Somerset???

Jumper_Dad

Just announced this week. Plan is build a 4 year university in downtown Somerset. Pretty exciting news for this area, hopefully this moves quickly from planning to building. A board and President already in place and property has been set aside for the development of the campus.

20201024_000658.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/24/2020 at 10:35 AM, gchs_uk9 said:

Any connection to the Campbellsville University campus in Somerset? I ask because I’ve heard there are plans for the CU campus in Harrodsburg to be stand alone in the near future. 

Campbellsville has a stand alone Uni in Harrodsburg. 

It's about halfway there already.  You can't schedule classes in Campbellville, in Harrodsburg and if you decide to leave Campbellsville, Harrodsburg to move to attend CU in Campbellsville you have to submit transfer paperwork.  It's obviously not autonomous but it's trying to be. 

• Like 1

The elephant in the room is $$$$. Where will the money come from to get this off of the ground? I'm not sure if there is a rich unnamed benefactor or maybe as mentioned an established university that plans on opening an affiliated university here. 

Another issue is that the footprint allocated for the university doesn't leave much room to expand. 

The people involved with this have attracted a few things to this area that I never expected, so I'm hoping that they can pull this off.

• 2 weeks later...

So let's help them out a bit...

Since the acronym would be US, the colors should be red, white, and blue, right?

So what should the mascot be?

The most popular HS mascot in KY is the Eagles, and that's a patriotic logo, so to speak....but we already have the Morehead State Eagles, the Spalding University Golden Eagles, the Midway Eagles, the Asbury Eagles....no, there's too many Eagles already in the state.

How about the US Athletics?   (Then they'd be the USA's....sorry, I couldn't help it)

How about something indigenous to the area?

The US Houseboats?

LOL....

OK, seriously....what should they be called?

CM

On 11/12/2020 at 8:51 PM, ColonelMike said:

So let's help them out a bit...

Since the acronym would be US, the colors should be red, white, and blue, right?

So what should the mascot be?

The most popular HS mascot in KY is the Eagles, and that's a patriotic logo, so to speak....but we already have the Morehead State Eagles, the Spalding University Golden Eagles, the Midway Eagles, the Asbury Eagles....no, there's too many Eagles already in the state.

How about the US Athletics?   (Then they'd be the USA's....sorry, I couldn't help it)

How about something indigenous to the area?

The US Houseboats?

LOL....

OK, seriously....what should they be called?

CM

I felt the same way on the US connection. Red, white and blue wouldn't show favoritism towards any of the local schools either. Seems like black and gold may be an option also.

As far as mascot, maybe "Cruisers" with Somerset being known as Car Cruise capital of Kentucky. 

16 minutes ago, SnottieDrippen said:

What about the Lakers? Is that one taken by one of the high schools yet?

Calloway County and Russell County, the latter of which is right next door to Somerset.

(And West Hardin for those of us of a certain vintage!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1