West Carter at Paintsville (10/17) Predictions/Updates

Comets vs. Tigers  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who gets the win?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/17/2020 at 11:30 PM

With the West Carter/Martin County game becoming the latest Covid casualty, the Comets will now make a giant leap in competition to face the Paintsville Tigers, who were available following the cancellation of their game against Betsy Layne. This game is a huge upgrade for both sides, and it's just the shot in the arm West Carter's schedule needed. A win here would provide immediate justification for their #5 ranking in 2A.

Statistically, there are some surface level similarities: Paintsville is unbeaten, winning its games by an average score of 48-7. West Carter is also without a loss, and wins its games an average of 49-6. Both teams are ranked in the top five of their respective class.

Big statement opportunity here for the Comets. And for Paintsville, this kicks off a very strenuous back half of the schedule that features nothing but ranked opponents.

836291259_download(2).thumb.jpeg.a26c74571d4ce0c9fd4613a3a98bbb40.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

WC is 27th in Calpreps poll while Paintsville is 40th. With that being said I still would take Paintsville. I'm not sold on WC yet.

I'm with you on taking the Tigers. Memorial Field in Paintsville will serve as a proving ground for West Carter. We know what Paintsville is, but West Carter is still the mystery team of 2A.

This is the first time I can remember West Carter willingly stepping out of its comfort zone. This isn't like facing Beechwood in the playoffs last year. West didn't have to take this game, but they've stepped up to the plate. I commend them for that. From a competition standpoint, this would be the biggest win in school history.

The Comets have one win all-time over Paintsville in four prior meetings. That was back in 2002.

59 minutes ago, farawaycomet2 said:

West Carter scheduled Boyle County and Russell this year and continues to play Russell by choice. 

I forgot about Boyle. Were they part of the bowl game swap at Mercer County?

As far as Russell is concerned, I wouldn't consider them out of West's comfort zone. Russell might have a good program, but there's about thirty years of familiarity between the two.

53 minutes ago, DevilMayCare said:

I forgot about Boyle. Were they part of the bowl game swap at Mercer County?

As far as Russell is concerned, I wouldn't consider them out of West's comfort zone. Russell might have a good program, but there's about thirty years of familiarity between the two.

Rowan and Fleming refused to play West Carter this season and the last. Lewis will end a long time series next cycle. They aren’t familiar with anyone in their new district. Scheduling Russell and Boyle is anything other than comfortable for West.

Edited by farawaycomet2
Spelling error

I'd like to see West pull it off tonight. I am a East Carter Alum but unlike a lot of other people from both sides of the county I am one who likes to see West win and represent Carter Co. well the only time I don't want that is when they play East Carter. However saying that I just think that Paintsville is just a little better with it being at Paintsville I think they win by double digits. I hope I'm wrong through.