How come we are not seeing mass outbreaks of COVID-19 traced back to grocery stores?

theguru

Every result is tainted due to the fact that so few people are or have been tested. LA County recently said that results from the antibody test show that 5 to 10 times more people were infected there than initially thought.

As for grocery breakouts Coronavirus reportedly lives for less than 24 hours on cardboard (most of the packaging in a store) and less than 4 hours on aluminum (shopping carts, cans and doors) and it doesn't tend to survive on fresh produce. If the stores really are sanitizing overnight and wiping down used services during the day, then stores really wouldn't be a breeding ground, or at least no worse than any other place.

Other metals will allow it to live longer, but stores are built as cheaply as possible and that means aluminum which is the shortest lifespan for Coronavirus for any metal.

Lexington behavior is different than NKY behavior. I go to the grocery store and Walmart about once a week. I’ve had to wait to get into the store before and pretty much everyone has on masks when I have been in there.

Wow. I go once or maybe twice a week and have never had anything like that. I wonder what the difference is between the two areas?

I can only speak for ST Pete Beach. But all of the stores here have shortened their hours. 8am - 8pm in most cases. Including Walmart.

I know 6 people that work at 3 different Publix. They have a full crew that comes in from 8pm - 8am to sanitize pretty much every square inch of their buildings. Including the areas customers don't see.

Everything that comes in the back door is sanitized.

Everything that goes onto a shelf is sanitized.

At night, everything that is on a shelf comes off and is re-sanitized.

They have someone sanitizing every grocery cart before a new customer takes it.

I don't know if Walmart is as efficient, but the one I go to is now the cleanest Walmart I've ever been in.

Haven't had to wait in line to get into any grocery store.

I have had to wait in line twice to get into Home Depot.

Edited by coldweatherfan

I can only speak for ST Pete Beach. But all of the stores here have shortened their hours. 8am - 8pm in most cases. Including Walmart.

I know 6 people that work at 3 different Publix. They have a full crew that comes in from 8pm - 8am to sanitize pretty much every square inch of their buildings. Including the areas customers don't see.

Everything that comes in the back door is sanitized.

Everything that goes onto a shelf is sanitized.

At night, everything that is on a shelf comes off and is re-sanitized.

They have someone sanitizing every grocery cart before a new customer takes it.

I don't know if Walmart is as efficient, but the one I go to is now the cleanest Walmart I've ever been in.

Haven't had to wait in line to get into any grocery store.

I have had to wait in line twice to get into Home Depot.

What does it feel like living in the perfect world? I'm 99 percent sure this isn't happening everywhere.

What does it feel like living in the perfect world? I'm 99 percent sure this isn't happening everywhere.

That's likely happening at more places than you would imagine. When a worker at a Walmart in Ashland had tested positive a hazmat team from the fire department went in and fogged the entire store. Since then Walmart hired a local cleaning and restoration company to come in and do that nightly.