Documentaries on Kentucky high school basketball.

The 2001 [Red Bird] team was featured on a great ESPN documentary about Kentucky high school basketball that doesn't seem to exist anywhere anymore.

Don't want to threadjack, so I'll just ask and maybe we can start a thread someplace. Anyone know more about this documentary or where it could be found?

Also seems like KET did a documentary on high school basketball around 1999ish. Are these the same?

Don't want to threadjack, so I'll just ask and maybe we can start a thread someplace. Anyone know more about this documentary or where it could be found?

Also seems like KET did a documentary on high school basketball around 1999ish. Are these the same?

Not the same as the KET one. The KET has bits and pieces on Youtube. I've never seen the ESPN one anywhere. Ashley Judd narrated the ESPN. Seems like it was three nights (maybe 1 hour each night).

Thanks everyone, and thanks CWB for creating a thread.

As already mentioned, the ESPN documentary was of the 01-02. KET doc seems like it could have been 98-99 season. In all honesty, I'm surprised both are so hard to find, but it appears they are.

Thanks everyone, and thanks CWB for creating a thread.

As already mentioned, the ESPN documentary was of the 01-02. KET doc seems like it could have been 98-99 season. In all honesty, I'm surprised both are so hard to find, but it appears they are.

Seems like we need a rally for ESPN to re-air it or make it available for streaming. Run it on SEC Network. It was really good and I think I only ever saw it once.

I remember that documentary about Red Bird High School’s basketball team. Their coach was John Wilson and he had been there for a long time and was getting up in years at that time. If I recall he was the coach, bus driver, and I believe AD. Kind of a do it all type fellow. Actually had some good teams at Red Bird. Finished runner up in the region to Clay County one year I believe, and that was with them losing their best player to transfer to Clay County before the season started. It was a game that went right down to the final seconds and Red Bird missed a winning shot as the final horn sounded.

If you have interest in seeing the 2002 ESPN film, shoot me a PM. You will need a YouTube account, and I will need the e-mail address associated with it. You'll have to be logged in to YouTube to see it, because it is going to be set to private.

Both the 1999 KET documentary and the 2002 ESPN documentary are great.

The 1999 documentary will occasionally come on the KET Station (you can look ahead on the website to see when it could be playing). It features teams from different parts of the state (Scott County, Ballard, Clay County, Paducah Tilghman).

The 2002 documentary was narrated by Ashley Judd. It features different teams as well (Lexington Catholic, Red Bird, Feds Creek, Rose Hill Christian, Ashland Blazer, and Paintsville).

Pretty cool/ironic that both documentaries got lucky in a way that both followed a team that won the Sweet Sixteen their respective years (1999 Ballard, 2002 Lexington Catholic).