Spencer County 71 Warren Central 70

Warren Central has the talent to be one of the best teams in the state. That said, they play too much one on one ball and don't use their length and athleticism to their advantage. Dunno if that's coaching or players not listening to the coaches, but I picked up on it when they visited the AIT. They had the talent to win that tournament.

Warren Central has the talent to be one of the best teams in the state. That said, they play too much one on one ball and don't use their length and athleticism to their advantage. Dunno if that's coaching or players not listening to the coaches, but I picked up on it when they visited the AIT. They had the talent to win that tournament.

The team has had literally one practice with their entire rotation. They started the year with Brents injured, lost Muleka in the Lewis County game for the rest of the AIT (and to be frank - I think they DO win the tournament if he was healthy), and then lost Wright against South Oldham. I think that likely has some to do with what you saw.

That said, and I know this is the mindset of most teams, they do not care about looking their best until February. They experiment, they learn, and they progress.

I’d prefer wins to any of the losses, but Central played some intense, challenging games in these tournaments/showcases. I especially think the games against Ashland and South Oldham were valuable thanks to the road environment against top 20 teams.

Nice win for the Bears. Thought Spencer looked tired in the win over Holmes, so glad to hear they dug deep and came up with a big win for themselves and the 8th Region. That's a heck of a matchup (for both teams) to finish three games in three days.

I was very impressed with Warren Central...getting the opportunity to watch both them and their primary 4th region rival, Bowling Green, at the same South Oldham Classic, I thought WC was the better team....

Nice feather in the cap of Spencer County!

CM

The POY is a two man race, McKnight and Powell if he returns.

Have you been following what Conley has been doing against top level competition? He played Powell to a draw head to head. The only reason he won't get it is because coaches are biased to give it to a senior.

If Conley doesn’t get it this year, it won’t be because he isn’t a talented player. It will be because a player of equal or better caliber, playing on a team with a better record or perhaps against better competition, who is committed to a D1 or D2 school and is a senior ends up winning the award. The only thing that could prevent McKnight from winning would be the votes he’ll split with his teammate Vail.

If Conley doesn’t get it this year, it won’t be because he isn’t a talented player. It will be because a player of equal or better caliber, playing on a team with a better record or perhaps against better competition, who is committed to a D1 or D2 school and is a senior ends up winning the award. The only thing that could prevent McKnight from winning would be the votes he’ll split with his teammate Vail.

I definitely think McKnight will get it and is deserving but when season is over and we compare numbers and strength of schedule it will be pretty even and Conley is a junior.

Have you been following what Conley has been doing against top level competition? He played Powell to a draw head to head. The only reason he won't get it is because coaches are biased to give it to a senior.

I'm not knocking Conley, I agree his is a nice player. Should Bruce Pearl have signed him over Conley?

I agree Conley will have as good of if not better numbers than McKnight but to say schedules are pretty even as well Is not really close. So far they both play a lot of the same teams in regular season. However I think most people on BGP that follow high school basketball closely would say that Collins schedule is a good bit tougher than Spencer’s. Both of the tournaments that Collins played in over the holidays was considerably stronger that Spencer’s were. There was even some talk on here last week or so about Collins possibly having the toughest two weeks of any team in the state.

I'm not knocking Conley, I agree his is a nice player. Should Bruce Pearl have signed him over Conley?

Really don't care who has signed with who. It's about this high school season and who has played the best. Up to this point in season Conley has been as dominant as McKnight and Powell against an equal level of competition. Conley just doesn't get the pub. He dominated Warren Central last night with his athleticism. Coming off 30 points against Bowling Green and 25 against Holmes. He had 26 against North Oldham and Powell. The difference is that he is equally as dominant on the defensive end.

Really don't care who has signed with who. It's about this high school season and who has played the best. Up to this point in season Conley has been as dominant as McKnight and Powell against an equal level of competition. Conley just doesn't get the pub. He dominated Warren Central last night with his athleticism. Coming off 30 points against Bowling Green and 25 against Holmes. He had 26 against North Oldham and Powell. The difference is that he is equally as dominant on the defensive end.

You're a year early, but keep beating that drum.

As a outsider who has seen both Powell and Conley play several times. First, I hope the Powell kid fully recovers from his injury at Lexington Catholic. Powell I feel has a higher up side imo due to his size, but on a negative I was really surprised how much he struggled against Frederick Douglass with their speed and athleticism. He did not go down with his injury in that game until about 4:30 to 5:00 minutes remaining. To that point in the game Douglass lead the entire game and double digits for a good part of it. At the time of the injury a Powell was only 2-5 from the floor for 5 points and I think 4 rebounds.

I don’t think there is a vast conspiracy against Conley to deny him the title. There just happen to be some very talented seniors , all deserving of All State recognition, in McKnight, Powell, Vail and Morrison.

I will say that if I ever decide to run for public office, I’m going to reach out to you, Cardsrule1972, to run my campaign!