Will RPI generate new strategies in Ky HS football scheduling?

Oldercoach

I believe the game value multiplier for playing bigger class teams is too high at 15%. If you take that 15% up through the classes you end up with a win over a 6A school by a 1A school having more than two times as much value, even if that 6A school is winless. That is putting too much value in beating a team just because they are in a bigger class. It also diminishes the value relatively of the opponent's winning percentage and opponent's opponents winning percentage.

I would be interested in seeing what KHSAA RPI looks like with that game value multiplier at 10% and maybe even 5%. That would add value in beating teams with better winning percentage regardless of class. That still gives credit for getting a win over bigger class teams but makes it better to beat a bigger class team with more wins.

Agree with you. I would also like to see each teams weekly progression of their RPI. I think that would show more clearly the small RPI impacts that a win late in the season can have. Volatility happens early by the very nature of averaging.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Male did it right without knowing it. They play a solid schedule regardless but they could have hurt their RPI had they played a tougher schedule with out of state opponents. If that makes any sense.

JD your comment is the exact thought that motivated this thread. Out of state powers may indeed prepare an elite program for the long playoff run. But, at the expense and risk of not getting home playoff games in rounds 3/4 is a price that will now have to be considered. Historically this never factored, but the rotation system perhaps stunk even more?

Any number crunchers out there? Could someone take last year's W-L records and calculate how last season 2018 records would work for RPI? We could see how teams were seeded last year and then we could see how it all played out. No I really dont expect anyone to do this, but I would be curious how it could have been a guide for this season. Alas, this would be above my brain grade.

Any number crunchers out there? Could someone take last year's W-L records and calculate how last season 2018 records would work for RPI? We could see how teams were seeded last year and then we could see how it all played out. No I really dont expect anyone to do this, but I would be curious how it could have been a guide for this season. Alas, this would be above my brain grade.

https://khsaa.org/resources/RPI/fb2018testrpi.pdf

The above link is a sample of RPI using last season. This is from the KHSAA site.

Here are the top 2 teams by 2018 RPI in each class from that list:

6A ... #1 Douglass; #2 North Hardin

5A ... #1 Covington Catholic; #2 South Warren

4A ... #1 Johnson Central; #2 Ashland

3A ... #1 Corbin; #2 Paducah Tilghman

2A ... #1 DeSales; #2 CAL

1A ... #1 Beechwood; #2 Paintsville

Edited by Voice of Reason

There is a little guesswork here but I used 3A 2018 RPI as a testbed, using this year's playoff format with last year's districts and classes. When determining winners, I leaned toward the side of a repeat of real result if two teams met last year vs just guessing.

Regional seeding would have most likely been

WEST

#4 Larue Co at #1 Boyle Co

#3 Caldwell at #2 Central

EAST

#4 Breathitt Co at #1 Corbin

#3 Russell at #2 Belfry

Semi-Final Reseeding would have been.

#4 Belfry at #1 Boyle Co

#3 Central at #2 Corbin

So a #3 Central vs #1 Boyle Co State Title Game

I actually bracketed out the full playoff but the first two rounds being inter-district had no surprises.

Edited by theguru
Rule 13

Now that the season is over, I think as far as strictly RPI, you should have a some what weak schedule and don’t schedule out of state teams you will lost to. Last night McCracken County and St.Xavier were basically in a tie with McCracken have a .001 lead over St. Xavier. After McCracken Co beats winless Christian County by 5 and St.X loses to Cincinnati St.X by 5 and St.X RPI drops significantly leaving McCracken County ahead. I’m not advocating for St.X to play a weaker schedule or drop out of state teams, but if you schedule strictly for RPI You should consider that. Also for large class teams play weaker 6A and 5A teams due to RPI multiplier. The RPI seems to fit Al Davis’s phrase of “Just win baby”.

Edited by Tigerpride94

Now that the season is over, I think as far as strictly RPI, you should have a some what weak schedule and don’t schedule out of state teams you will lost to. Last night McCracken County and St.Xavier were basically in a tie with McCracken have a .001 lead over St. Xavier. After McCracken Co beats winless Christian County by 5 and St.X loses to Cincinnati St.X by 5 and St.X RPI drops significantly leaving McCracken County ahead. I’m not advocating for St.X to play a weaker schedule or drop out of state teams, but if you schedule strictly for RPI You should consider that. Also for large class teams play weaker 6A and 5A teams due to RPI multiplier. The RPI seems to fit Al Davis’s phrase of “Just win baby”

RPI is a good way to compare teams with identical records, Saint X having one more loss really hurt their RPI compared to McCracken. Playing out of state teams is rough on RPI, but McCracken also played an out of state school. In the end it's just comparing 4 losses to 3 losses. Saint X came out on the short end this year.

It seems like scheduling up benefits the power house teams more so than Bellevue, Dayton or Ludlow. Playing a higher class team and being beaten badly serves no purpose. I like the old system better as it gave players and fans a chance to see teams from around the state. I hope this new system doesn’t turn out like the Dickerson system from years ago.