Will RPI generate new strategies in Ky HS football scheduling?

Oldercoach

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the model schedule for KHSAA RPI. KCD is the example that supports what I stated in post #21. The only way their schedule could be better were if those bigger class schools had a few more wins. Take away Berea and KCD's opponents are 16-40. That is your #1 KHSAA RPI team in the state.

The KHSAA seems to have hit this one right out of the park. Ah nevermind, it was a foul ball.

That is the model schedule for KHSAA RPI. KCD is the example that supports what I stated in post #21. The only way their schedule could be better were if those bigger class schools had a few more wins. Take away Berea and KCD's opponents are 16-40. That is your #1 KHSAA RPI team in the state.

100% correct VOR, but just a caution, note most of the higher VORs by formula should be found in lower classes 1A, 2As, etc. This is because of the game value multiplier component. A 1A school gets a game value multiplier of almost 2 for beating a 6A, and about 15% less for 5A and on down to 1 for an inclass. Whereas the higher classes have fewer classes and smaller multipliers for winning up. So, one cannot compare final RPIs for teams in different classes and conclude anything. Not intended that way. Strictly a tool to compare teams in same class.

I like it and will be very interested to see how the RPI seeding for homefield might impact rounds 3/4.

100% correct VOR, but just a caution, note most of the higher VORs by formula should be found in lower classes 1A, 2As, etc. This is because of the game value multiplier component. A 1A school gets a game value multiplier of almost 2 for beating a 6A, and about 15% less for 5A and on down to 1 for an inclass. Whereas the higher classes have fewer classes and smaller multipliers for winning up. So, one cannot compare final RPIs for teams in different classes and conclude anything. Not intended that way. Strictly a tool to compare teams in same class.

I like it and will be very interested to see how the RPI seeding for homefield might impact rounds 3/4.

I believe most everyone that has done research on this realize that. That said, the multiplier needs adjusted. Realistically, KCD isn't a top 5 team in their own class. The multiplier like most other aspects of the RPI is a work in progress at this point. It should have never been thrown out there with playoff implications as well as future scheduling implications until they had a working system.

I believe most everyone that has done research on this realize that. That said, the multiplier needs adjusted. Realistically, KCD isn't a top 5 team in their own class. The multiplier like most other aspects of the RPI is a work in progress at this point. It should have never been thrown out there with playoff implications as well as future scheduling implications until they had a working system.

JD, you may be right, I'm not sure. But, I was under the impression that this system has been utilized in multiple states for several years. I feel like the KHSAA doing something different is a refreshing change and think we need to give it a chance. The game factor multiplier for playing up does seem like it needs scrutiny. But, the rank and file need to understand you cannot compare class RPIs and say a 1A RPI of .800 is superior to a 6A RPI of .750.

JD, you may be right, I'm not sure. But, I was under the impression that this system has been utilized in multiple states for several years. I feel like the KHSAA doing something different is a refreshing change and think we need to give it a chance. The game factor multiplier for playing up does seem like it needs scrutiny. But, the rank and file need to understand you cannot compare class RPIs and say a 1A RPI of .800 is superior to a 6A RPI of .750.

This is exactly why I hate when the Lex. Herald ranks all teams and headlines with KCD is the number 1 team in Kentucky. Leave the rankings within the classes but to shove them all together becomes misleading.

The RPI system or variants of it have been used in other states for years. The KHSAA developed their own (to my knowledge) though and its a legitimate work in progress. They just threw it out there without testing it first it seems.

I'm cool with them having their own system. But pushing it on teams without giving any solid information about it is negligent. The KHSAA posted the first RPI before they ever intended to, that's telling in regards to their system being a legitimate RPI in my opinion.

Its still a work in progress and it's going to impact scheduling for years to come, even though the system is still fluid as far as changes go. Bad time to be an athletic director. Scheduling will be effected by this, but since its a work in progress, no one knows exactly how to schedule to benefit their program yet.

This is exactly why I hate when the Lex. Herald ranks all teams and headlines with KCD is the number 1 team in Kentucky. Leave the rankings within the classes but to shove them all together becomes misleading.

100% correct. Courier did same. Somebody not doing their homework; but, what's new about the media in general?

Male scheduled perfectly for RPI without knowing it was coming. They have all 6A teams and one out of state team so they have 1.00 for win %. North Hardin is undefeated but win % is .896.

Male did it right without knowing it. They play a solid schedule regardless but they could have hurt their RPI had they played a tougher schedule with out of state opponents. If that makes any sense.

I believe the game value multiplier for playing bigger class teams is too high at 15%. If you take that 15% up through the classes you end up with a win over a 6A school by a 1A school having more than two times as much value, even if that 6A school is winless. That is putting too much value in beating a team just because they are in a bigger class. It also diminishes the value relatively of the opponent's winning percentage and opponent's opponents winning percentage.

I would be interested in seeing what KHSAA RPI looks like with that game value multiplier at 10% and maybe even 5%. That would add value in beating teams with better winning percentage regardless of class. That still gives credit for getting a win over bigger class teams but makes it better to beat a bigger class team with more wins.