Highlands 27 Ryle 0

theguru

Birds offensive line failed to show up.

Ryle was sending 7 guys and playing man on WRs with no help over the top most of the night... HHS had 5 on the line and single back... Was it the players or the play calling that didn’t show up? Seems like a bad scheme to me.

Ryle’s defense is very good and that would have been a game if Lyons had been able to play because passing would have been a factor. The little sophomore is a great kid but a JV QB and it showed last night. I was shocked at 3 blatant PI non calls vs Highlands including the first play of the game. Birds also made a first down on what should have been fourth down as they were given an extra down. None of that mattered in the outcome because Ryle wasn’t going to come close to scoring with that offensive personnel and game plan. Stanken should have started the game. Total yardage was very low for the Birds and embarrassingly low for Ryle. Congrats to Highlands!

Ryle was sending 7 guys and playing man on WRs with no help over the top most of the night... HHS had 5 on the line and single back... Was it the players or the play calling that didn’t show up? Seems like a bad scheme to me.

A couple of Ryle’s Interior DL we’re getting double and triple teamed.

Highlands must have been worried about 25 and 52.

Exactly and the inability to make changes on the fly is the issue. Same story different version from last year. Rather than adjust, we will just keep doing what WE do because we are Highlands!

Congrats to Highlands. Awesome atmosphere and such a great place to watch a football game. They got the job done. Their offense made enough plays to win the game, but certainly will need to dramatically improve to hang w/ CCH and some of the other top 5A schools I've seen.

As mentioned, Ryle's offense is embarrassingly bad. I don't think another QB would have made any difference when the play calling is that predictable. They run the same basic stretch run play over and over and over again. England is a load, but any well coached, disciplined team can beat one player and one play! Highlands base D is a 3 man front. Why not try going under center and run a power play to England w/ a full back? Seems that suits his size and power much better. Also, would set up play action to their speedy receivers that aren't being utilized. They need to face the facts, their QB's are not very good, but all of them are capable of dink and dunk pass plays. If nothing else, it should help get more first downs and give their poor defense a break.

Worst call of the night for Ryle was putting Cusick on offense down 27-0 w/ 3:30 left in the game. The kid is probably the team's best player who is battling an injury. Very unfortunate for him that he got hurt again. Not sure how bad it is, but it certainly didn't look good. Coaches should be ashamed of themselves for that blunder.

I have heard people saying this is a step back for Ryle. I disagree, the defense looks better every week.

I don’t know the time of possession but it would not surprise me if Highlands had the ball and our defense was on the field 75% of the time.

The defensive line has applied pressure and had multiple sacks in every game. However if your playing man with your defensive backs your risking blown coverage without utilizing a safety. This is also amplified when your offense is passing the ball when it has no business doing so and this leaves too much time on the clock.

The defense gave up 14 hard fought points by Highlands. Then 7 points came from a blocked punt in the end zone. The other 6 points came from Hollingsworth throwing one of the best over the top passes I have ever witnessed a high school QB throw. I also believe that pass was on a 4th down and it was a great catch by the receiver.

The offense is struggling but honestly I think if Lyons would of played or maybe if they would of tried Stanken earlier they could of gathered some momentum.

Would that momentum of changed the outcome? Probably not as the play calling has been bad. If your QB cannot throw more than 30 yards don’t attempt it. Ryle’s Offensive play calling put its QB in a terrible position on multiple plays. He was destined to fail. It seemed as if we passed more last night than we had all season.

If you don’t have a QB, stack it up and pound the rock. Even if your not scoring your burning clock and giving your defense a better chance to make a play.

I believe Ryle had 5 fumbles snaps, 3 ints, and a few bad punts. They have to fix these issues that have been persistent this season.

Ryle’s RPI is still good and with Scott County and Elder still on the schedule it could stay pretty high. Even if they lose those games and win districts they will still have a very strong RPI.

I believe they can win districts and from what I told about Campbell County & Dixie it is looking like a 2 part showdown of Ryle and SK for district 6.