Apollo 66 Warren Central 56

It's a positive step, but I won't lie, I remain dismayed. Central led 56-42 with just under 11 minutes left in the game. I had a bad feeling most of the second half anyway. I feel like this is unfortunately one of those situations where until they win, they just simply won't know how to close. We saw the same thing in the Monroe County game last year.

Positives:

-That was the highest scoring output for Central in six seasons. Not since the wild 71-69 loss to Highlands had they scored as many points.

-Dre Boyd may be the best athlete on the field in several games, and he was worth the price of admission tonight.

-If nothing else, these Dragons will be an interesting watch. No punting, all onside kicks.

Negatives:

-No punting, all onside kicks. Want to know one major reason for giving up 66 points? It's right there. I hope it works out, I'll extol its virtues and eat crow if that strategy eventually pans out, but I simply can't back it. Puts way too much pressure on the defense.

-It did not seem like the defensive scheme was ever tweaked to adjust to Apollo's ground game. Especially as the game wore on, they simply could not slow the Apollo rushing attack.

The win will happen this year. I now think there will be more than one win. I wouldn't be stunned if they got as many as three. But after seeing what Greenwood did against Franklin-Simpson tonight, I have vastly diminished hopes for that one, which means the likelihood is high that they won't get a good opportunity again for about a month.