NKU’s Next Coach

Oldbird

I would think if NKU wants to keep the momentum that they have going, Shumate would be the obvious choice. He’s recruited most of the players on the current roster, and spent a considerable amount of time under Brannen.

Can’t argue with that.

Why not Kelly Wells? He is one of the few who has actually proven himself at the high school and small college level.He is an outstanding coach. A lot of folks do not realize that most D 1 coaches go the grad assistant route. Just because they played the game or can recruit does not mean they can teach the game or be a good coach.

I am sure Billy Hicks is an outstanding coach too and I don't want him either. Whoever we hire will be a bit of a gamble, but I would lean toward someone who has had some level of success at a D-1 program.

Don Owen tweeted that NKU is interviewing the following in Atlanta today:

- An asst. coach from the ACC

- An asst. coach from the PAC 12

- Pat Kelsey

He also noted that Chris Shumate was not in Atlanta.

In a cryptic move he also retweeted a previous tweet of his own that linked to a story from the WV Gazette about WV PG and current Florida asst. coach Darris Nichols. When I asked him about it he said he was sentimental. :D

All of which is to say, it looks like they are narrowing down the pool of candidates.