GOREDDEVILS

Dontaie Allen Named 2019 Mr. Kentucky Basketball

Allen is a good kid but definitely would not give him the Mr. Basketball Award. I think it is who had the best season. I would also argue that I wouldn't give Carson Williams the award when he won it either.

Neither of them played in a region championship let alone a Sweet 16.

per KHSAA stats, his 13 games included

Nov 26, 18 Williamstown (W) 76 - 46

Nov 29, 18 Scott (L) 73 - 83

Dec 1, 18 Marshall County (W) 50 - 45

Dec 4, 18 Nicholas County (W) 82 - 47

Dec 7, 18 George Rogers Clark (L) 71 - 78

Dec 8, 18 Bracken County (W) 79 - 61

Dec 10, 18 Augusta (W) 95 - 59

Dec 12, 18 Robertson County (W) 116 - 77

Dec 14, 18 Harrison County (W) 91 - 55

Dec 15, 18 Bourbon County (L) 68 - 86

Dec 20, 18 St. Henry (W) 89 - 70

Dec 21, 18 Bryan Station (W) 93 - 81

Dec 22, 18 Cooper (L) 24 - 61

Does him scoring 42.92% ppg factor at all into your assessment of who was the best???

Give me 32.9 over 33 games (last two don't have stats on KHSAA) over 42.9 in 13 games all day every day. Really a no-brainer, IMO.

Both DA and Kyky played against Cooper, statistically one of the top 3 defenses in the state.

DA scored 10.

Kyky scored 22.

Personally, I think the senior season should be the primary indicator in voting. If you look at careers, some kids get to play in the 8th grade, especially in smaller school systems which I feel is an unfair indicator with total points scored ...

My vote would got to Kyky.

Didn't he get injured in that game? Maybe that's why he only scored 10 points.

Give me 32.9 over 33 games (last two don't have stats on KHSAA) over 42.9 in 13 games all day every day. Really a no-brainer, IMO.

I'd have no problem with 32.9 winning.

After 13 games:

Total Points - 558

42.92%

By your estimation would these game-by-game scoring stats be indicative of what this highly talented player is capable of?

It's as if people are condemning Allen for having an injury.

Those 13 games were pretty indicative what kind of season he was having, and would have had barring any injury. I don't think anyone can deny what a special and incredible talent he is, and without doubt would have received the award if he had played a full season, and while the other candidates are fantastic players, it's hard not to recognize him as being the best, full season or not.

Let us not forget either that a couple of the other fine candidates also lost significant playing time due to their injuries as well, so judging by the vitriol being spewed here they might've suffered the same criticism if they had won.

Can we just be happy for the kid...jeez ???

This is the only part that bothers me. Debating whether or not a kid should have won an award or why they won the award isn’t “vitriol spewed here”. It’s debate and discussion. It also doesn’t mean that people questioning why someone won an award aren’t happy for. Not only am I happy for him I feel bad for him because his win will always be viewed in a controversial manner and that isn’t his fault.

At the same time, anyone who thinks that an award handed to a kid who played 13 games in his last season isn’t going to be a point of discussion isn’t taking into account the entire scope of what happened.

After 13 games:

Total Points - 558

42.92%

By your estimation would these game-by-game scoring stats be indicative of what this highly talented player is capable of?

So now it's an award based on potential? :lol2:

he had 2 wins and 4 losses against teams with a winning record

and 7 wins against teams with a losing record

My point is, I think the UK connection to the title is way overblown.

I'll say it again, if he was hurt the first half of the season then came on and scored 50 a game during the last half of the year...no one would penalize him for his injury.

If he was going ANY place else to play college ball, you'd probably care a lot less that he won too...:lol2:

Overblown?

This is the biggest case of being a UK signee to win Mr. Basketball in my 44.5 years of life. It’s never been more real than this year.

Does him scoring 42.92% ppg factor at all into your assessment of who was the best???

Considering that he was capable, due to injury, of only playing close to a half a season, does his undeniable talent and predictable capabilities with plentiful supportive past performances at all factor in either?

He isn't, in your estimation, at least worthy of "The Best Player" consideration?

Spencer Macke put up insane numbers all year. Where is his Mr. Basketball love?

So now it's an award based on potential? :lol2:

He set an obvious trend of way crazy scoring numbers that had him in half a season compile more total points than, or similar to the other candidates. His incredible talent is undeniable. It was determined by those who voted that he was worthy of this prestigious award. I'm happy with their decision.

You aren't, but sorry things didn't go the way you would have liked.

I'm content with it.

After 13 games:

52 (9-22)

53 (19-12)

25 (13-19)

34 (6-21)

34 (26-8)

51 (14-18)

45 (10-18)

53 (22-9)

49 (11-19)

43 (21-11)

52 (15-13)

57 (6-22)

10 (25-6)

Total Points - 558

42.92%

I added the records of the teams and bolded the ones with winning records, for a little depth.

He set an obvious trend of way crazy scoring numbers that had him in half a season compile more total points than, or similar to the other candidates. His incredible talent is undeniable. It was determined by those who voted that he was worthy of this prestigious award. I'm happy with their decision.

You aren't, but sorry things didn't go the way you would have liked.

I'm content with it.

I've never said he wasn't talented. He just wasn't the best player THIS SEASON.

Spencer Macke put up insane numbers all year. Where is his Mr. Basketball love?

We are talking about the same kid that Calipari thought might be decent enough to sign, right?