BluegrassPreps Boys Basketball Top 20 Rankings Week 10 Discussion

I’m sorry. I still can’t buy in on John Hardin. That schedule is just weak.

I've been trying to figure this out all year. If not John Hardin then who is number two. John can play with anybody. The hesitance is because they don't really have that star guy; but I think that's what makes them the good team that they are.

I’m sorry. I still can’t buy in on John Hardin. That schedule is just weak.

I said the same thing for most of the season, but they seem to be getting better as the season goes along. They have quite a few quality wins as well (Bowling Green 2x, Warren Central, LaRue County, Central Hardin 2x, and they won the 2A tournament in convincing manner.

They may not be the 2nd best team in the state, but they have done everything right to deserve the ranking.

Edited by silo11

Perhaps. It is obviously subjective. I have not seen Bowling Green play this year but I have seen they have won 5 of 6. Maybe they are a mess.

I have probably seen LCA play more than you have this year and they just don't pass the eye test. It's hard to see any team that could fall to the 4 seed in their district be ranked 3rd in their region. They have one player. Either way it will all be sorted out in a couple weeks. This is just good discussion.

I've left BG at #1 in my 4th Region rankings, and it is true that they have been winning, but there are definite, visible issues that they're working their way through. From a top player quitting, to another one suddenly not performing well and being benched to long swaths of time, to a sudden and nearly complete overhaul of their rotation. It's why their scoring has dropped off a cliff, with last night's 73 against Barren County their first score over 70 since January 15th. They averaged 71 PPG before that point. Their defense is stout, and their length has given them a big rebounding edge, but they are clearly trying to figure out a new paradigm, one where they are playing a majority of minutes with sophomores and a freshman on the floor. The difference in the John Hardin scores from December to now is dramatic, and a sign of this. I'm interested to see how the Owensboro score tonight compares to their December meeting.

I’m not saying they’re a bad team at all. I just don’t think they’re very battle tested.

They do have some good wins and they have shown a knack to win the close games. Their schedule might not be one of the toughest in the state but to be undefeated at this point of the season ain’t a bad place to be.

I get why they fell out this week, but IMO Woodford County should still be a top 20 team. They have wins against GRC, Frankfort, Collins and Lafayette. They also gave Scott County all they wanted at Scott County only loosing by 2 in the Toyota Classic. The Anderson County game was obviously a head scratcher, but they bounced back well with a blowout win against West Jessamine by 25. I would put this team in the 15-20 range and ahead of teams like Frankfort and LCA.

Madisonville. 19-5 record, 19-3 against Kentucky teams, including a 50-35 win over Lexington Christian.

The Maroons are one team I don't understand why they aren't in the top 20 at this point in the season.

Could not agree more! I’ve wondered why Madisonville was getting no talk. They are a very solid team.

This happens often. Different people will have different rankings. CCH seems to get better name recognition at the state level.

Regardless, if you ask 3 impartial people, you are bound to get 3 different rankings in the 9th.

CCH has two losses in the state.

Beechwood has 3 losses in the state.

Cooper has 4 losses in the state.

CCH beat Cooper by 6 at CCH

Cooper beat Beechwood by 20+ at Cooper

Beechwood beat CCH by 1 at Beechwood

Campbell beat Cooper at Campbell and lost to Beechwood at Beechwood

In the end, the rankings don't matter. What will matter is who cuts the nets at NKU ... ?