Will Pittsburgh Fire Mike Tomlin?

I feel like this is a very dangerous thread to comment on. While some say Tomlin is overrated and should be gone. Mike Tomlin and the Steelers very easily could be holding a super bowl trophy still this off season if things break right this weekend. Which imo a very good shot that happens.

For the record I dont think Tomlins job is in jeopardy at all. The Steelers kept Cowher after three straight seasons of missing the playoffs and the whole obsession he had with Kordell Stewart being their qb. Which imo held them back from winning more titles.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Without thinking too hard on it, I would probably guess somewhere between 10-15.

Just off the top of my head, the coaches that I feel are absolutely better are-- Belichick and Payton. I'd lean toward Pederson and Mcvay being ahead, but I need to see more over the next couple years. 2-3 years doesn't quite tell me enough, but they both inherited huge messes. And Pederson has done a great job this year with a team ravaged by injuries. I think Reich might be on this list too, but again, 1 year doesn't tell me enough. The next tier for me are Carroll (whom I don't think is a great game day coach), Zimmer, Gruden (who I really think is overrated), O'brien, Reid and Quinn. None of which except for Carroll has won as much as Tomlin. So Tomlin absolutely fits in here. So at worst, in my eyes, he's #9. Maybe as high as 4 or 5. You simply don't win as much as he has by accident.

He didn't screw it up, he won a Super Bowl with it.

I’m not saying he did screw it up. I think the job that Tomlin fell into was borderline idiot proof. I just he could and should have done more. Couple that with a guy that has an abrasive personality and often times an unprofessional attitude.

I’m not saying he did screw it up. I think the job that Tomlin fell into was borderline idiot proof. I just he could and should have done more. Couple that with a guy that has an abrasive personality and often times an unprofessional attitude.

To believe he should have done more you’d almost have to think he is the best coach ever. How many have done more than he has? Can probably count them on one hand.

To believe he should have done more you’d almost have to think he is the best coach ever. How many have done more than he has? Can probably count them on one hand.

It’s not about who has done more it’s about who could have done more if they were in Tomlins shoes.

10-15? Based on what?

Based on my opinion? What else would it be based on? There is no way for anyone to definitively say one way of the other. All I’m saying is that in my opinion there are a lot of coaches who would have had the same success and Tomlin and likely more success if they would have been in his shoes.

Based on my opinion? What else would it be based on? There is no way for anyone to definitively say one way of the other. All I’m saying is that in my opinion there are a lot of coaches who would have had the same success and Tomlin and likely more success if they would have been in his shoes.

I know it’s your opinion but what exactly have 10-15 other coaches done to make you believe they would be same or better? I think you’re letting your hatred of Tomblin cloud your judgement. He’s won a super bowl and better than 60% of his games. What 10-15 coaches have matched that over Tomlins tenure in Pittsburgh?

I know it’s your opinion but what exactly have 10-15 other coaches done to make you believe they would be same or better? I think you’re letting your hatred of Tomblin cloud your judgement. He’s won a super bowl and better than 60% of his games. What 10-15 coaches have matched that over Tomlins tenure in Pittsburgh?

It’s not about matching what Tomlin has done in Pittsburgh. It’s about the inherent advantages that Tomlin has in Pittsburgh that nobody else in the NFL has. It’s the best coaching job in the league and it’s not even close IMO.