Will Pittsburgh Fire Mike Tomlin?

The guy has won 65% of his games, with 11 or more wins in half his seasons, won a Super Bowl, while playing in Conference with the biggest NFL dynasty in history his entire coaching career. Maybe you could argue he should have won another Super Bowl. But guys whos teams choke every year in big games like Andy Reid get called geniuses, while Tomlin gets criticized for not doing enough. I don’t get it.

The talent Tomlin has had in Pittsburgh has been second to none.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the talent he’s had? Lots more postseason success.

I think people get overwhelmed by the "Big 3" on offense but their defense has not been great for several years. I'd like to see some sort of numbers to back up the fact that their talent has been second to none.

Regardless of that, it's the NFL. The league is designed to pull everyone back to the pack and have equality. They have been as consist as anyone outside of New England (and doing it in THEIR conference). I don't see "lots more" postseason success being realistic in the N.E. Dynasty era.

I don't see why you blow it all up and start over. Out of Cincinnati, stability at the HC position usually breeds success.

Isn’t it obvious?

Yes, rings. Again, they are in the same conference as the longest running dynasty in NFL history. New England has been the best team in the NFL for all of Tomlin's run and has probably cost him a ring, maybe two, because they have been a great team in a terrible division and always have home field advantage. In this league, I don't see why you blow this up and start over.

I think people get overwhelmed by the "Big 3" on offense but their defense has not been great for several years. I'd like to see some sort of numbers to back up the fact that their talent has been second to none.

Regardless of that, it's the NFL. The league is designed to pull everyone back to the pack and have equality. They have been as consist as anyone outside of New England (and doing it in THEIR conference). I don't see "lots more" postseason success being realistic in the N.E. Dynasty era.

I don't see why you blow it all up and start over. Out of Cincinnati, stability at the HC position usually breeds success.

When Tomlin got there he had multiple HOF players on defense. Stability doesn’t always breed success. Eventually everyone’s message gets stale with the exception of Belicheck. Challenging the status quo breeds success. See Eagles last year. See Rams, Chiefs, Saints, etc. this year. You can’t keep doing the same thing year after year and expect to see success. Andy Reid is a fantastic coach, but wore out his welcome in Philly. Goes to KC and has reinvented himself twice. Sean Payton won a Super Bowl, bountygate happened and the Saints were mediocre for a few years. Payton reinvented himself and now they are the best team in the league. What has Tomlin done? Not a thing. He’s still the same unprofessional, classless coach he was when he became the Steelers HC, he just doesn’t have a HOF defense to bail him out anymore.

Yes, rings. Again, they are in the same conference as the longest running dynasty in NFL history. New England has been the best team in the NFL for all of Tomlin's run and has probably cost him a ring, maybe two, because they have been a great team in a terrible division and always have home field advantage. In this league, I don't see why you blow this up and start over.

I guess it depends on what the goals of the organization are. Do you want to add more Lombardi’s to the trophy case or not? Tomlins message has become stale, the defense is but a shadow of what a Steelers defense should be, and the offense despite putting up monster numbers continuously comes up short when needed the most in the playoffs.

When Tomlin got there he had multiple HOF players on defense. Stability doesn’t always breed success. Eventually everyone’s message gets stale with the exception of Belicheck. Challenging the status quo breeds success. See Eagles last year. See Rams, Chiefs, Saints, etc. this year. You can’t keep doing the same thing year after year and expect to see success. Andy Reid is a fantastic coach, but wore out his welcome in Philly. Goes to KC and has reinvented himself twice. Sean Payton won a Super Bowl, bountygate happened and the Saints were mediocre for a few years. Payton reinvented himself and now they are the best team in the league. What has Tomlin done? Not a thing. He’s still the same unprofessional, classless coach he was when he became the Steelers HC, he just doesn’t have a HOF defense to bail him out anymore.

Understand all of that and agree. I guess 9-6-1 is stale and needs to be replaced. Btw, with no other changes and a kicker who kicks like he did the year before, they're likely 11-5. Sounds like this is more of a personal dislike than anything else.

With the talent he’s had? Lots more postseason success.

Meh. You obviously can never have too much postseason success. And I can't really argue that maybe, he should have another Super Bowl win. But he's been to two Super Bowls, and during his tenure, no coach not named Bill Belichick or Coughlin has won multiple Super Bowls. And during that time only one other coach has went to multiple Super Bowls, Pete Carroll (who Tomlin has more wins than in fewer games coached). One can easily argue that no other coach currently in the league has had more playoff success than Tomlin. Reid? Nope..only one Super Bowl appearance and 11 playoff wins in 20+years. Payton? Only 6 playoff wins, and has missed the playoffs in half his seasons. Mcarthy?--oops he got canned. Harbaugh? He does have a ring, and more career playoff wins, but he's done very little in the 5 years since winning the SB. And after these guys, there isn't another active coach in the league with a track record as long as, or even close to better than Tomlin. It's really, really hard to win playoff games in the NFL and have a playoff record much better than .500...11 teams take a playoff loss every year, and most teams end up at 0-1 or 1-1

I'm not saying Tomlin is the best coach in the league. But honestly, based on numbers, there isn't anyone who's been better or accomplished more outside of Belichick over the time that Tomlin has been in charge in Pittsburgh.

Except, Reid still hasn't won anything in KC....0-4 in the playoffs, the Rams are limping to the finish line this season, and Payton has had less success overall than Tomlin during the same time period. Also, while that Steelers defense in 2008-09 was really good, calling them HOF is a bit of a stretch. Outside of Polomalu and Harrison, no one else on that defense is HOF caliber.

Understand all of that and agree. I guess 9-6-1 is stale and needs to be replaced. Btw, with no other changes and a kicker who kicks like he did the year before, they're likely 11-5. Sounds like this is more of a personal dislike than anything else.

You’re right about me personally disliking Tomlin. Everything he does and says has always rubbed me the wrong way.

Except, Reid still hasn't won anything in KC....0-4 in the playoffs, the Rams are limping to the finish line this season, and Payton has had less success overall than Tomlin during the same time period. Also, while that Steelers defense in 2008-09 was really good, calling them HOF is a bit of a stretch. Outside of Polomalu and Harrison, no one else on that defense is HOF caliber.

Oh yes so outside of 2 HOFers the defense was just above average. That defense was legit only team that could rival it was Baltimore.

If Mike Tomlin should be fired, every coach in the NFL not name Belichick should be fired. :lol2:

The Steeler hate is so real.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think Tomlin should be canned if they fail to make the postseason. That’s inexcusable with the talent level they have.