Covington Catholic - 2019 Schedule

theguru

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Caleb has developed in the off-season, and how he looks starting off season #2 as the quarterback. His poise in the pocket developed very obviously from week #1 to week #15 last year only as a sophomore, and I'm interested to see what he's looking like back there this year.

Jacob has added good weight since the end of last season and added some zip to the down and out routes and deep throws. If the line gives him time, the Colonels will be able to spread defenses out again this fall.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per his Twitter account, Trey Gronotte has been working the kicking camps hard this offseason. He's been posting camp videos of him hitting field goals regularly from 50+ yards off of a tee, and it's definitely looking like we can expect to see more kickoffs for touchback in the 2019 season.

Trey set a new school record for most PATs in a single season in 2017 as a freshman with 83 PATs (previous record was 57, set by Evan Talkers in 2011), and then he set a new career record last season as a sophomore when he added 71 more PATs for a total of 154 PATs. (Previous record was 135, also set by Evan Talkers, from 2009-2011). By the time he graduates, I think the career record he has set is bound to stand for a LONG while at Cov Cath.

I'm curious what will happen with his field goal kicking since Cov Cath hasn't had too many occasions where they have gone for FGs in the past two seasons, largely due to the fact that their offense has been really potent in the red zone. He only has a total of 6 field goals in his career thus far in maybe a dozen attempts - his FG game wasn't the greatest as a freshman. I'd be surprised to ever see them put him in a situation to try to break it, but that record is at 57 yards, and that was set by Shane Popham back in 2006 against Bishop Watterson (OH). No way he ever touches the single season or career records for most FGs made.

Players mature a lot from freshman to junior seasons. From what I saw one reason Gronotte has so few field goals is leg strength. He kicked extra points because of accuracy but on those extra points it looked like he did not have the leg strength to kick 30 yard or longer field goals. I am guessing that is why Gronotte didn't do kickoffs.

However, like I said, players mature a lot freshman to junior years. It sounds like he has that leg strength now. It will be interesting to see how much he has grown.

• 1 month later...
I saw that hall of fame quarterback Adam McCormack's son Liam is on Beechwood's roster this year after playing at CCH last year. They're an IHM family out of Hebron - which makes him a tuition player at BW. Looks like the sophomore class is awfully thin for CCH this year.

Ouch.

Their sophomore class is stacked from Stava on. Nice try.

I only see 7 or 8 sophomores within the entire program...am I missing something?

By my count there are approximately 20 sophomores on the team this year. If you are looking at the roster on the KHSAA website or app, that is inaccurate.

By my count there are approximately 20 sophomores on the team this year. If you are looking at the roster on the KHSAA website or app, that is inaccurate.

Good. I'm glad to hear it. The gentlemen I had talked to seemed to be people who would be in the know, and they were saying there were quite a few members of the sophomore class who had departed the football team.

Surprised CCH didn't get a complete roster to the KHSAA.

Good. I'm glad to hear it. The gentlemen I had talked to seemed to be people who would be in the know, and they were saying there were quite a few members of the sophomore class who had departed the football team.

Surprised CCH didn't get a complete roster to the KHSAA.

The KHSAA website currently lists 20 sophomores. Not sure where the surprise is coming from?

The KHSAA website currently lists 20 sophomores. Not sure where the surprise is coming from?

The roster has been updated since yesterday around lunch. If you look on the KHSAA site right now there are probably a dozen or more sophomores listed without a number on the roster. Their names weren't included at all until sometime late yesterday or today.