Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Somerset 34 Harlan 7

Featured Replies

What did everyone think of the game.... I thought both teams hit hard and got after it. Great seeing a big crowd here for the Dragons. Good luck next week Jumpers

  • Replies 57
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good season for Harlan.

 

Look forward to seeing Somerset in the rivised 3a next season.

 

Best of luck to the Briarjumpers

Let me preface by saying that Somerset played a great game and won. The Somerset D has come a long way, and our offense really hasn't come along enough to overcome a really good D. Now the comment nobody in Somerset is going to like and I say it because it needs to be said, again and please hear me, taking nothing from the Jumpers.

 

This was one of the worst officiated games I have ever witnessed. The first two calls IMO did not change the final outcome, however, it certainly took away 2 possessions from the Dragons. The punt recovery went like this. Somerset punted. The Dragon player bobbled the ball, then fell on it. The ball and the player were down. Somerset player falls on the Dragon player, rolls him over, picks up the ball and the Ref gives it to Somerset. The fumble recovery was also down, with the Refs not blowing the whistle and several Somerset players digging the ball from the Dragon player. Both plays happened right in front of me. Its a shame this kind of thing happens. It can take the wind out of your sails.

 

Having said that(and I'm sure to take some heat for my comments), Coach Cobb had a smart game plan, playing to our weaknesses and exploiting them. Again, I think 2 things have really elevated the Jumper's game. 1. The return of Hunter and 2. The growing up of the Jumper defense. Congrats and Good Luck in Hazard. Harlan beat Hazard 34-6 early in the year. Looks like a regional trophy for Somerset. Sorry I missed you Andy!

Pappy, I will agree with you 100% that the officiating was TERRIBLE. Although I think that it was bad both ways. Somerset had 9 penalties for 95 yards in this ballgame and the officials also missed a blatent intentional grounding on Harlan and countless other penalties. You could argue the fumbles but they didn't really change the outcome of the game. But yes, we can both agree that these officials were very bad.

 

Kenny Hughes who got injured in the first Somerset/Harlan game, by getting a pretty big cut on his forearm, had a huge game. He had 11 carries for 135 yards and 3 receptions for 83 yards and 4 total touchdowns. Harlan doubled Cole and Somerset exploited that by hitting everyone else and running the football.

 

Hats off to a good Harlan football team! Harlan had a great year and a lot to be proud of.

First off I am in Atlanta and can't comment on the calls until I see the film. After the first game I said I felt like the Jumpers were 24-35 points better on a dry field and I guess this proved my point. Harlan had a really good team this year and I'm sure played their hearts out like they always have against us. However over the last 4 years the Jumpers have went 23-3 against the other teams in the district--the main reason is speed. This team has it and the rest of the district just doesn't have it top to bottom. Please don't think we don't respect the Harlan kids and fans--y'all are a class act. I've watched a lot of football over the years and Harlan was just a notch below--as was the rest of the district. I caught some heat for predicting this but after our first district game I said that the rest of the district was in a lot of trouble. Congrats to the Jumpers for growing up over the course of this year and learning how to play defense. You held a really good Harlan team to 14 points over 2 games and really improved as the year progressed. I challenged you and you more than met my expectations. Just don't be satisfied--there are 3 games left to go. Keep hitting people and don't back down, this is all up to you from now on. I'll never doubt you again, just leave it all out on the field--whether it ends next week or with a state title.

The only thing I've got left to do is find that Indian I bought the Rain dance tape from and get my money back! :D Now I do have a question, and it may be elsewhere on this forum. Why are the Jumpers going up to 3A?

The only thing I've got left to do is find that Indian I bought the Rain dance tape from and get my money back! :D Now I do have a question, and it may be elsewhere on this forum. Why are the Jumpers going up to 3A?

 

They were set to got to 2A in a district with Corbin, Middlesboro, Leslie Co. and Knott Co. Except for Corbin which is about an hour away by bus the other 3 teams are way over an hour away. They asked to move up to 3A with Wayne Co., Garrard Co., Jackson Co., Taylor Co., and Casey Co. The longest drive is right at an hour. Now as a Jumper fan the 3A district is MUCH weaker than the proposed 2A district so I think it could be a combination of the 2 reasons. I hope that it is because of travel and not team strength, Middlesboro, Leslie and Knott are a haul from Somerset.

So, SHS-Hazard is at Hazard next week, right?

So, SHS-Hazard is at Hazard next week, right?

 

Nope it is at Somerset. Somerset is the higher seed. The home field only rotates if the seeds are equal--if not it is at the higher seed. We'll welcome the Bulldogs to the 'Patch.

Nope it is at Somerset. Somerset is the higher seed. The home field only rotates if the seeds are equal--if not it is at the higher seed. We'll welcome the Bulldogs to the 'Patch.

 

OK. I was thinking I was going to be able to make another game, but I forgot about prior obligations. If Coach Cobb and Co. make it to the next week, I may try to check them out. I haven't seen those kids since they were frosh.

 

Where will it be if they win? Do they have a long travel?

OK. I was thinking I was going to be able to make another game, but I forgot about prior obligations. If Coach Cobb and Co. make it to the next week, I may try to check them out. I haven't seen those kids since they were frosh.

 

Where will it be if they win? Do they have a long travel?

 

Regardless of who wins next week the semi-finals will be held at the home field of Region 4 this year. (either Somerset or Hazard)

I forgot to mention a big:thumb: to some great folks from Williamsburg who came to the game last night to support the Big Green!

  • Author
Let me preface by saying that Somerset played a great game and won. The Somerset D has come a long way, and our offense really hasn't come along enough to overcome a really good D. Now the comment nobody in Somerset is going to like and I say it because it needs to be said, again and please hear me, taking nothing from the Jumpers.

 

This was one of the worst officiated games I have ever witnessed. The first two calls IMO did not change the final outcome, however, it certainly took away 2 possessions from the Dragons. The punt recovery went like this. Somerset punted. The Dragon player bobbled the ball, then fell on it. The ball and the player were down. Somerset player falls on the Dragon player, rolls him over, picks up the ball and the Ref gives it to Somerset. The fumble recovery was also down, with the Refs not blowing the whistle and several Somerset players digging the ball from the Dragon player. Both plays happened right in front of me. Its a shame this kind of thing happens. It can take the wind out of your sails.

 

Having said that(and I'm sure to take some heat for my comments), Coach Cobb had a smart game plan, playing to our weaknesses and exploiting them. Again, I think 2 things have really elevated the Jumper's game. 1. The return of Hunter and 2. The growing up of the Jumper defense. Congrats and Good Luck in Hazard. Harlan beat Hazard 34-6 early in the year. Looks like a regional trophy for Somerset. Sorry I missed you Andy!

 

You are right, the officials were not a very good crew. Does anyone know where they are from, someone said northern KY. I totally agree with your thoughts on the recovered fumble, I said what you did as soon as it happened to the peolple sitting around me they totally blew that call. He was on the ground with the ball under him, the play should have been blown dead. There were call missed both ways though, there was a mugging right in the middle of the field on a pass play that was interference that was missed and the intentional grounding that was missed was horrible. That said I thought both teams hit hard all night and played clean. I hope everyone had a safe trip home you are all a class act and it was great seeing a big crowd across the way.

You are right, the officials were not a very good crew. Does anyone know where they are from, someone said northern KY. I totally agree with your thoughts on the recovered fumble, I said what you did as soon as it happened to the peolple sitting around me they totally blew that call. He was on the ground with the ball under him, the play should have been blown dead. There were call missed both ways though, there was a mugging right in the middle of the field on a pass play that was interference that was missed and the intentional grounding that was missed was horrible. That said I thought both teams hit hard all night and played clean. I hope everyone had a safe trip home you are all a class act and it was great seeing a big crowd across the way.

The crew last night was from Bardstown/Etown. They were BAD!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.