November 20, 20187 yr Just a passing thought. What did we learn from the FBI case that didn't get even a tenth of the attention it deserved? How much was being paid to kids and their families to play for high level AAU teams. What AAU team did Wiseman play for? What high school did he move 4.5 hours from home to play at? The hay is already in the barn here. It isn't that hard to connect the dots, and they aren't as simple as "well Penny coached him already,". Or maybe it is... Didn’t all this happen before there was any inkling that Hardaway would end up as coach at Memphis? The dots are pretty far apart...
November 20, 20187 yr Didn’t all this happen before there was any inkling that Hardaway would end up as coach at Memphis? The dots are pretty far apart... Kids are getting paid to play at the highest level of AAU. That is a stone cold fact. If you want to believe Team Penny didn't operate with a recruiting budget like all of the other big time AAU programs, that's fine. Not smart, but you are free to do you...
November 20, 20187 yr Kids are getting paid to play at the highest level of AAU. That is a stone cold fact. If you want to believe Team Penny didn't operate with a recruiting budget like all of the other big time AAU programs, that's fine. Not smart, but you are free to do you... Oh no, I don’t disagree with that, but my point was the AAU and high school relationships were forged before UM was in the picture. And I believe there are “assets” changing hands to get players to colleges. Some are just better at it than others.
November 20, 20187 yr Kids are getting paid to play at the highest level of AAU. That is a stone cold fact. If you want to believe Team Penny didn't operate with a recruiting budget like all of the other big time AAU programs, that's fine. Not smart, but you are free to do you... Oh no, I don’t disagree with that, but my point was the AAU and high school relationships were forged before UM was in the picture. And I believe there are “assets” changing hands to get players to colleges. Some are just better at it than others.
November 20, 20187 yr Oh no, I don’t disagree with that, but my point was the AAU and high school relationships were forged before UM was in the picture. And I believe there are “assets” changing hands to get players to colleges. Some are just better at it than others. If Penny has been funding this kid for years and then becomes a college coach and ends up landing the kid, well you know. I get you want to see it differently from the lense of a Memphis fan, but it is what it is...
November 21, 20187 yr If Penny has been funding this kid for years and then becomes a college coach and ends up landing the kid, well you know. I get you want to see it differently from the lense of a Memphis fan, but it is what it is... I see where that can be an issue even if it were not part of a grander plan so to speak.
November 21, 20187 yr I see where that can be an issue even if it were not part of a grander plan so to speak. Ya think?
November 21, 20187 yr I see where that can be an issue even if it were not part of a grander plan so to speak. Do you think Penny's grand plan didn't include becoming the head coach at Memphis? That he didn't sell the decision makers on his access to James Wiseman and every kid that played for Team Penny in the job interview? Or Mike Miller as an assistant with his access to M33M? Come on doomer...
November 21, 20187 yr Do you think Penny's grand plan didn't include becoming the head coach at Memphis? That he didn't sell the decision makers on his access to James Wiseman and every kid that played for Team Penny in the job interview? Or Mike Miller as an assistant with his access to M33M? Come on doomer... The second part is a no-brainer...of course his access to talent was his selling point. However to link this to a grand plan, maybe, but is a stretch in the time window of these particular players. That is my point.
November 21, 20187 yr Just a passing thought. What did we learn from the FBI case that didn't get even a tenth of the attention it deserved? How much was being paid to kids and their families to play for high level AAU teams. What AAU team did Wiseman play for? What high school did he move 4.5 hours from home to play at? The hay is already in the barn here. It isn't that hard to connect the dots, and they aren't as simple as "well Penny coached him already,". Or maybe it is... Which is why I don't understand why people are freaking out over this. It's not like this is new information.
November 21, 20187 yr Which is why I don't understand why people are freaking out over this. It's not like this is new information. Cal needs to sponsor an AAU team?
November 21, 20187 yr Cal needs to sponsor an AAU team? I thought he coached the Teen USA Team. Is that similar?
November 21, 20187 yr I thought he coached the Teen USA Team. Is that similar? We’ll have to ask GT but I think he flopped on that.
November 21, 20187 yr Until Cal recruits a class that isn't ranked in the top 2 or 3 in the nation, he is fine doing what he is doing.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.