Northern Kentucky Power Rankings: 09-12-18

Tonight SK had 5 starters go down with an injury they played part of the 2nd half with a Freshman qb. Turnovers killed them also. They put up more yards than Highlands. Things just didn't go their way. When that happens you lose. Highlands has some big receivers and some good football players.

You're completely ignoring my question to you.

Or are you evading my question so you don't have to say that you think Highlands would have beaten Simon Kenton if the two teams had played on September 12th?

Tonight SK had 5 starters go down with an injury they played part of the 2nd half with a Freshman qb. Turnovers killed them also. They put up more yards than Highlands. Things just didn't go their way. When that happens you lose. Highlands has some big receivers and some good football players.

You're right. Guys going out is a factor. Highlands D swarms to the ball, hits hard, and gang tackles. SK has a couple guys who are hard hitters to and I KNOW if they would have been knocking Birds out of the game left and right with hard hits, your posts would have been how Highlands can't match the size strength of SK. Maybe the Birds D is just more physical and aggressive than you want to believe. On the yard comment. Highlands special teams won the field position battle. SK had to drive the ball 75-85 yards on almost every drive because of the Birds solid special teams. The Birds didn't have to move it that far on their drives. Special teams matter.

I would take SK on the 12th.

Thinking about alternate universes can be fun but in 100 years they will look at that score and say Highlands was a lot better than SK that year. All the excuses can make it feel a little better but those wash away in a few weeks. Highlands is a much better team and that is now written in stone. SK is pretty good but they probably weren’t prepared for the physicality of the Birds and a few guys got pounded up. That is part of football.

You're right. Guys going out is a factor. Highlands D swarms to the ball, hits hard, and gang tackles. SK has a couple guys who are hard hitters to and I KNOW if they would have been knocking Birds out of the game left and right with hard hits, your posts would have been how Highlands can't match the size strength of SK. Maybe the Birds D is just more physical and aggressive than you want to believe. On the yard comment. Highlands special teams won the field position battle. SK had to drive the ball 75-85 yards on almost every drive because of the Birds solid special teams. The Birds didn't have to move it that far on their drives. Special teams matter.

You are right on the special teams. The Simon Kenton kicking game is not good.

The Simon Kenton defense played well. Their offense could not do anything against the Highlands defense. Both teams blitzed a lot and the quarterbacks for both teams struggled, in part due to the pressure. The Highlands defense has a lot of speed. Huddleston is very good at linebacker.

Highlands does a very good job with their game media production and use of their video board.

The Ohio University band halftime performance was great.

Is the cannon back, or is that something else they are using to generate the big boom on touchdowns?

Turnovers are as much caused by the defense as they are “given away” by the offense. I’ll never buy the argument that a team gives a game away or would’ve won “if we didn’t have turnovers”. It’s a lame excuse that only is said to discredit the team that beat you.