Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Natural Grass or Sports Turf

Featured Replies

With the rain affecting so many key games this week, I thought I would ask the following question:

 

Do you prefer football on natural grass or sports turf?

 

I have alway stuck by the notion that football should be played on natural grass. I know as time goes on I am further and further in the minority with that opinion. It is weekends like this that make me second guess, however I still come out on the side of natural grass.

 

What are your thoughts?

  • Replies 50
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you that there wouldn't be a high school coach in KY that would not say "TURF!" tonight.

 

I just don't see how you can beat the new sports turf!! GREAT stuff!

On nights like this I would say turf, however I like to see real grass stuck in a helmet.

The sports turf really does the job. It also has the feel of real grass.

I've never played football on turf, but having played soccer on natural grass and then switching to turf, you couldn't pay me to play on grass again. With grass you ran into rocks, ditches, soft spots, hard spots, spots with no grass. Natural grass was just not nice to fall down on and I'm sure it is worse with football.

I've had the fortunate opportunity to play on both surfaces and still have no doubt that natural grass is a better suface. Bad weather is the great equalizer in football, so I would rather play on turf during the rain. Sports turf has come a long way, the only negative thing about turf is the fact that it has so much give, its too soft. This creates two negative effects, injuries and slower speeds. :thumb:

As a teacher who has computers that are so old they can't be networked and does not have enough memory to hold the programs that I need for the students to do their assignments, I can't imagine a district spending this much money on athletic turf for a short period of time.

As a teacher who has computers that are so old they can't be networked and does not have enough memory to hold the programs that I need for the students to do their assignments, I can't imagine a district spending this much money on athletic turf for a short period of time.

I am only guessing but I think most of the turf fields are constructed by donations from individuals or corporations. I am sure there are some districts that have funded the money but most IMO could not do this from a financial standpoint without outside help.

I am only guessing but I think most of the turf fields are constructed by donations from individuals or corporations. I am sure there are some districts that have funded the money but most IMO could not do this from a financial standpoint without outside help.

I understand and accept the donations issue. But those same donations sure would buy a lot of computers for the district. Sure would buy a lot of winter coats for kids who show up without any. Sure would buy a lot of pair of shoes for the kids (like the HSer I had yesterday who wore their fathers gym shoes in that were 4 sizes too big) that don't have any. Sure would buy, well you get the point....

 

I am a coach that sure likes the new things but some of the new things are just plain luxuries that we don't need while there are other populations in the building going without.

 

And let me add, if it was an adult going without, I would view this differently because they could go out find a job and get what they need. But I am talking about the 8-year-old or the 11-year-old or the 15-year-old. (And before someone starts on the 15-year-old in getting a job, in a rural county there is not public transportation to take them to and from a job after school or in the summer.)

I understand and accept the donations issue. But those same donations sure would buy a lot of computers for the district. Sure would buy a lot of winter coats for kids who show up without any. Sure would buy a lot of pair of shoes for the kids (like the HSer I had yesterday who wore their fathers gym shoes in that were 4 sizes too big) that don't have any. Sure would buy, well you get the point....

 

I am a coach that sure likes the new things but some of the new things are just plain luxuries that we don't need while there are other populations in the building going without.

 

And let me add, if it was an adult going without, I would view this differently because they could go out find a job and get what they need. But I am talking about the 8-year-old or the 11-year-old or the 15-year-old. (And before someone starts on the 15-year-old in getting a job, in a rural county there is not public transportation to take them to and from a job after school or in the summer.)

I sure hope you not doing all this weeping on an old school computer, it may blow up.:jump:
I understand and accept the donations issue. But those same donations sure would buy a lot of computers for the district. Sure would buy a lot of winter coats for kids who show up without any. Sure would buy a lot of pair of shoes for the kids (like the HSer I had yesterday who wore their fathers gym shoes in that were 4 sizes too big) that don't have any. Sure would buy, well you get the point....

 

I am a coach that sure likes the new things but some of the new things are just plain luxuries that we don't need while there are other populations in the building going without.

 

And let me add, if it was an adult going without, I would view this differently because they could go out find a job and get what they need. But I am talking about the 8-year-old or the 11-year-old or the 15-year-old. (And before someone starts on the 15-year-old in getting a job, in a rural county there is not public transportation to take them to and from a job after school or in the summer.)

Who's watching the kids:sssh:

If the field is Bermuda grass, well maintained, painstakingly monitored and very short height...then you can't beat a natural turf field.... but... if it is anything less than top quality Fieldturf is the nicest surface.

 

For the record, I prefer Fieldturf much more than Sprinturf.

 

Interesting Note: After tonight Belfry will have played 7 of their 10 games on synthetic Turf.... if they win then Belfry will play every remaining game this year on synthetic turf as well.... presumably 12 of 15 games... ironically the Pirates have not lost on synthetic turf this season, yet both defeats came on natural playing fields.

Who's watching the kids:sssh:

Yep old school computer and it is Reward Friday. The ones that have completed their work this week and had no discipline issues get to watch a movie. THis week, We are the Titans, the mighty mighty Titans.

No doubt turf. And in terms of money spent, I'd say it covers itself over time. Unless you're the kid of the old grounds keeper...

Yep old school computer and it is Reward Friday. The ones that have completed their work this week and had no discipline issues get to watch a movie. THis week, We are the Titans, the mighty mighty Titans.

You know surfing the net while at work really drops employees production.

 

Anyway back to the thread, I think sports turf is the only way to go.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.