Dead Period...should it expand or end?

Dead Period...End, Expand, Leave Alone?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Dead Period...End, Expand, Leave Alone?

• End Dead Period
    • Expand Dead Period
    • Leave it as it is

Other then to insure that KIDS are allowed a few weeks off. There are over zealous coaches who wouldn't give their players any time off in any sport if they weren't required to do it. Personally I think it needs to be longer.

Agreed.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely nothing wrong with Dead Period. The small college levels and even the D1 schools send their kids home for periods of time over the summer.

Dead Period needs to happen.

Start practice August 1.

Season starts Labor Day weekend or the weekend after.

Play 10/11 regular season games.

Take one or at the most only two teams to the playoffs (how many true contenders are at the worst below the 2 seed in their district? Most are the district champ)

The mid atlantic and northeast states still play Thanksviging Day/weekend games even for those that don't make the playoffs.

It's a fall sport not a summer sport.

While I'm at it...middle school football needs to be backed up. These kids scrimmaging in July and starting their seasons the first week of August is the craziest crap I've ever heard.

This once upon a time was a fall sport. It's better that way.

As for vacations. I've never understood going to the beach while it's summer in Kentucky. It's 95 here and plenty of water around (lakes, your pool, a friends pool, etc). Why drive 10-12 hours to have the heat somewhere else when you have it here & while it's more expensive?

Go hot when it's not here. Fall Break. Christmas Break. Spring Break.

More and more are starting to take fall break as their open week and families from players to coaches are taking their vacations then.

Dead period needs to stay. I think it's fine the way it is. Hobbies and not being in ball mode all the time is a healthy thing.

It's almost as dumb as seeing that hashtag bull of #nodays off. What? Are you serious? That's the most irresponsible, look at me I'm a social media bad man crap there is.

Absolutely nobody suggests doing that.

Edited by Calico Jack

You could play a 10 game schedule, start Labor Day weekend, still have an Open week (if you choose, or play 11 games. Your choice), finish the regular season the 2nd Friday in November, only take the district champ to the playoffs from each district and still be finished by the 1st weekend in December like it is now and has been for years.

Don't make the playoffs? That's cool, so what, better luck next year, but in the mean time? Take a week off (current region title week) and find somebody to play a Thanksgiving Day game with somebody nearby which there will likely be many out there to choose from since only one team is going to playoffs from each district, split the gate and call it good.

So at worst everybody is still getting 11-12 games, like most get as is, and it once again becomes a fall sport with a little something extra added to winning your district along with bringing a little bit of the throwback tradition of Thanksgiving weekend games regardless if you're still in the running for a state title or not.

I disagree, it penalized the fall sports (and spring sports to a small degree). It also pigeon holds families into making vacation plans at a time when prices are at their peak due to the holiday.

When school is out prices hit their peak anyway. There is no cheap time in June or July to vacation.

You could play a 10 game schedule, start Labor Day weekend, still have an Open week (if you choose, or play 11 games. Your choice), finish the regular season the 2nd Friday in November, only take the district champ to the playoffs from each district and still be finished by the 1st weekend in December like it is now and has been for years.

Don't make the playoffs? That's cool, so what, better luck next year, but in the mean time? Take a week off (current region title week) and find somebody to play a Thanksgiving Day game with somebody nearby which there will likely be many out there to choose from since only one team is going to playoffs from each district, split the gate and call it good.

So at worst everybody is still getting 11-12 games, like most get as is, and it once again becomes a fall sport with a little something extra added to winning your district along with bringing a little bit of the throwback tradition of Thanksgiving weekend games regardless if you're still in the running for a state title or not.

I just can’t get behind any plan that only sends one team per district to the playoffs. I think you have to do two per district. I’m also not a fan of after season “bowl games”. I think very few teams would even opt to play these games. They would have to be scheduled late (or at least finalized late after playoffs are set), and carry little fan or player interest.

As far as the Dead Period, I’d like to see it expanded by a week or two. If you just get rid of it, I guarantee some coaches would start scheduling stuff, and eventually, most others will follow.

I just can’t get behind any plan that only sends one team per district to the playoffs. I think you have to do two per district. I’m also not a fan of after season “bowl games”. I think very few teams would even opt to play these games. They would have to be scheduled late (or at least finalized late after playoffs are set), and carry little fan or player interest.

As far as the Dead Period, I’d like to see it expanded by a week or two. If you just get rid of it, I guarantee some coaches would start scheduling stuff, and eventually, most others will follow.

I don’t know. I think you’d see a lot of people get into Thanksgiving Day-weekend games regardless of if you’re playing for it all or not. Fact is most of the teams in the playoffs are playing those type of games anyway. We like to think everybody has a shot, but who are we kidding? They don’t. 90% of the teams come start of the playoffs don’t have a chance.

Was there a state champion last year that wasn’t a 1 seed in their district? Even a state runner up? I dare say the majority of Region and semi finalists were district champs, especially the semi finalists.

I like the dead period as it is. Moving the dead period hurts fall sports.

I think Spring Break, week in December, Fall Break should be mandatory off weeks.

That's 5 weeks off.

How can you do that mid-season?