Covington Holy Cross hires Jerry Allen as girls hoops coach.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAU is a totally different animal but he has a wealth of experience. A father who taught Jerry the fundamentals. Strong desire win but the patience to teach. Girls seem to really enjoy his style. Look forward to see how it plays out.

Totally Agree!

Panda- I respect you and your opinions and agree with you that he is a good coach. He is a great teacher of the fundamentals and I would trust him with my team any time. However, in general I do not like the comparison of HS coaching to AAU coaching. High school 90% of the time you are dealt a hand and you have to play it. AAU 100% of the time you select the kids that best fit your style and needs, those kids are easy to coach and produce results.

I would disagree 100%. Not all AAU teams are hand picked. Not even close to all. Yes your top teams in the state or the nation are for sure, but that leaves a whole bunch of kids playing AAU that we're be not " hand picked". I have witnessed an AAU coach ''dealt players" that couldn't win a single game and get blowed out by 60 in 7th grade and by the following season they were contenders in everything they played and even winning some. Season after that they won way more than they ever lost. That is a real coach in my book. Had nothing to do with high school kids or AAU, as they were both.

I am interested to see if Jerry can really coach. I think he is an okay person but never have I seen him actually coach. Another question I have is was this hire in response to Kes leaving for NDA? I know they had to hire someone but was Jerry a way of getting back at NDA.

I am interested to see if Jerry can really coach. I think he is an okay person but never have I seen him actually coach. Another question I have is was this hire in response to Kes leaving for NDA? I know they had to hire someone but was Jerry a way of getting back at NDA.

Actually if you take NDA out of the equation, it just looks like a good based on his coaching resume.

When my daughter played AAU with him as coach they were about 100 and 2. He can coach.

I coached a team 20 years ago that was almost undefeated.....didnt necessarily mean i could coach....just meant i did a poor job of scheduling because the kids needed to play at a higher level than I had them playing.

• 2 weeks later...