History Of The NKY Jack Kaelin Freshman Regional Tournament

Always wished Brossart made the cut to the 'regional' tourney that allows 8th region Simon Kenton and Walton get invited to play in.

the 2010-11 team had a 26-1 record with the only loss being to Simon Kenton in a game where a couple of players were not 100%.

Only 2 of their games that year were within 10 points and 2 frosh played up never seeing a freshman uniform.

They won the Holy Cross tourney, district, NKAC and 10th region championships that year.

Freshmen10-11-SchdleRslts

Always wished Brossart made the cut to the 'regional' tourney that allows 8th region Simon Kenton and Walton get invited to play in.

the 2010-11 team had a 26-1 record with the only loss being to Simon Kenton in a game where a couple of players were not 100%.

Only 2 of their games that year were within 10 points and 2 frosh played up never seeing a freshman uniform.

They won the Holy Cross tourney, district, NKAC and 10th region championships that year.

They used to be allowed in. Up until the mid-70s (ish) it had every NKY freshman team competing, plus a few middle schools that were allowed to field 8th grade teams for the tournament. As I understand it, the locations jumped around in early years because it was SUCH a pain to orchestrate everything around winter weather and the varsity/jv schedules, and no one would wrangle the project for more than a year or two at most. Then Cov Cath started hosting it annually, and Jack Kaelin headed up the effort. After a lot of complaining, the decision was made for the smaller schools to start having their own tournament. Cov Cath has operated on the same general cast of characters since the mid-70s.

So I've got to ask a question I posed a couple of years ago, when Holy Cross won it in 2016, they had two players score over 80 points in the tournament (Spencer Macke 89 and Ty Houston 83) and it was my theory that that must be one of the very few times, and maybe the only time that ever happened ... I figured 6 minute quarters, most kids capable of scoring 20+ PPG would have been playing up, pretty unlikely to have 2 on the same team ...

I haven’t seen anything for 1976, but I think my Bellevue Tigers got beat in the finals. I grabbed my year book and it has us with a 16-0 regular season record, Class ‘A’ champs in the NKAC and regional runners-up.

Pretty sure Michael Grimes, Bondick, Schmergee class at CovCath won their freshman year. THat would have been 2004 or 2005

This would have been the 2005 year. 2004 year would have been the team with Bovard, B. Schult, T. Jacobs (I believe he played JV though). Not sure who won the freshman tourney that year though.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1959 - Boone County
1962 - Boone County
1963 - Newport Catholic
1964 - Newport Catholic
1965 - John G. Carlisle
1967 - Newport Catholic
1969 - Covington Holy Cross
1972 - Covington Catholic
1973 - Covington Catholic
1975 - Covington Catholic
1977 - Holmes
1978 - Simon Kenton
1980 - Newport Catholic
1981 - Newport Catholic
1982 - Covington Catholic
1984 - Newport Central Catholic
1985 - Highlands
1986 - Lloyd Memorial
1991 - Covington Catholic
1992 - Covington Catholic
1993 - Covington Catholic
1994 - Covington Catholic
1995 - Highlands
1996 - Highlands
1999 - Covington Catholic
2000 - Dixie Heights
2003 - Covington Catholic
2005 - Covington Catholic
2007 - Covington Catholic
2008 - Boone County
2010 - Scott
2011 - Covington Catholic
2012 - Covington Catholic
2013 - Simon Kenton
2014 - Covington Catholic
2015 - Covington Catholic
2016 - Covington Holy Cross
2017 - Covington Catholic
2018 - Covington Catholic
2019 - Covington Catholic

Also had someone tell me that they're pretty sure Highlands won in 2001, and Cov Cath won in 2004. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks CWB. I have asked before, but any other records kept? When Spencer Macke and Ty Houston both scored over 80 points each in the 2016 tournament, I thought that had to be unmatched at frosh level. And I know that at least some years in the past CovCath has put together historical references (like Jimmy Pangallo led his freshman team to the Jack Kaelin championship and three years later led his NCC team to the Sweet 16 as the Number 1 ranked team as the state) as part of the program. I think that sense of history adds to the legacy of the tournament, just like BGP threads that reminisce about Doug Schloemer and Troy McKinley and Mike Vories and Scott Draud and Justin Doellman etc. in the Ninth Region tournament ….

98-99 at CCH............best freshman team ever!

25-2 including 4-0 in the tournament with our only losses being a fluke loss to Ryle by 5 and fluke loss to LexCath the next week baby 7. We beat two GCL teams (Elder and McNick) and beat Highlands three times.

That was with two freshmen playing JV/varsity all year (and no freshman games).

Have to agree with you TAC--Would have loved to have seen Brossart included in this tourney. The '03-'04 Brossart freshman team was clearly the best team in NKY that year; going 24-2 with the only losses to Elder at Elder by 4, and to a powerful Scott County team in Lexington by 1. Won the 10th region championship going away, and beat the Kaelin Champs CovCath by 18. Went on to be a pretty good team in '07!!