Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bluegrasspreps.com 2018 - Inside the 8th Region 2-12-18

Featured Replies

JohnsonQ, I joined this forum two years ago and I found out pretty quick that if you say anything positive about your home team you better be able to back it up with facts. People in general don't like the new guy and you have to earn any kind of respect. I have always tried to give my opinions without being negative towards a team and give what I believe to be the facts( my opinions). I am a human so I'm sure I am incorrect lots of times. But I genuinely watch a lot of 8 th region games and try to get a handle on who is the best in that region. When I first got on here people weren't used to anything positive being said at Spencer County and they came at me pretty hard. I think Spencer County's program has shown that it's not the same Spencer County from all previous years. You misunderstood if you thought I said WV was not a contender, because I think they are while I do not believe Gallatin County to be. No slam against them. Just my opinion. Just because they beat someone that was PREseason number one means nothing. That ranking turned out to be bogus. They did beat a Collins team early season missing some key players due to football. Playing a good team close is still not a win. I am a die hard Spencer County fan, but I picked Collins to win it all and nothing has changed. After watching a lot of basketball that is the way I see it and I could be completely wrong. It is never a personal attack with me when evaluating a team I can promise you that. My Spencer County Bears may lose to Anderson Wednesday night, but if they get by them I think they are very dangerous to anyone in the region. It should be exciting!

  • Replies 31
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JohnsonQ, I joined this forum two years ago and I found out pretty quick that if you say anything positive about your home team you better be able to back it up with facts. People in general don't like the new guy and you have to earn any kind of respect. I have always tried to give my opinions without being negative towards a team and give what I believe to be the facts( my opinions). I am a human so I'm sure I am incorrect lots of times. But I genuinely watch a lot of 8 th region games and try to get a handle on who is the best in that region. When I first got on here people weren't used to anything positive being said at Spencer County and they came at me pretty hard. I think Spencer County's program has shown that it's not the same Spencer County from all previous years. You misunderstood if you thought I said WV was not a contender, because I think they are while I do not believe Gallatin County to be. No slam against them. Just my opinion. Just because they beat someone that was PREseason number one means nothing. That ranking turned out to be bogus. They did beat a Collins team early season missing some key players due to football. Playing a good team close is still not a win. I am a die hard Spencer County fan, but I picked Collins to win it all and nothing has changed. After watching a lot of basketball that is the way I see it and I could be completely wrong. It is never a personal attack with me when evaluating a team I can promise you that. My Spencer County Bears may lose to Anderson Wednesday night, but if they get by them I think they are very dangerous to anyone in the region. It should be exciting!

 

In the aforementioned Collins game Fortner, Felt, and McKnight played and Gallatin won by double digits. That’s their top three scorers and top two rebounders and one of the top three point shooters in the state. (Gallatin also has one).

And yes, losing in the final seconds of the All A to Walton-Verona, the 8th ranked team in the Herald-Leader rankings, does mean something.

They weren’t a “contender” last season, but came within one basket of defeating the regional champs in the semifinals.

So, in review, they won by 11 at Collins, lost to WV when they missed the last shot, and lost to South Oldham on a last second shot after they trailed by 19.

If they make it to New Castle next week they could bounced in the first round for sure. But their opponent had best bring their “A” game.

I also watch a lot of basketball. I have seen your Spencer County team. They win with execution and skill more so than athleticism. I would not be shocked if they won the region. I wouldn't be shocked if they don't make the region. A motivated Penny is capable of making a run. I would pick Spencer to win that game, but who knows. Gallatin wins with grit, pretty good defense and shooting. One cold night and they are out. They do not have great athleticism either. Match ups determine a lot in high school ball. SK presents a big problem for Gallatin. Their size is a matchup concern. Collins size is defendable. If Collins and Gallatin played today you are correct to give the nod to Collins. I would agree with your assessment but it would be a fun game to watch and it would not be an upset if Gallatin won. Gallatin had boys who played football as well. Bowen had a broken finger. Hale had very few practices. Coomer was hurt as well. They thought he was playing with a broken bone in his foot.

I have no problem with your support of your team. No problem with you or anyone else having a lesser view of Gallatin. Your opinion is yours to have and it needs no facts to back it up. When you state Gallatins win at Collins doesn't mean anything, you are just wrong. It means Gallatin is capable of beating one of the top teams. Gallatin outplayed WV and lost. Stanley was unbelievable.

It should be fun to watch. District play will likely have some upsets. I think Gallatin is going to state. My opinion and I cannot back that up with facts. They could lose in the district. Good luck to everyone's team.

Us in the 8th region know that Spencer has been good before. You just seem to discredit that and the Regional final team. Also a district champion I might add and it puzzles us why you act like Spencer has never been good till now. They've been good before and they have a good team now. Loving your team is fine and we all appreciate the excitement you have for them but you just go overboard with it sometimes

Us in the 8th region know that Spencer has been good before. You just seem to discredit that and the Regional final team. Also a district champion I might add and it puzzles us why you act like Spencer has never been good till now. They've been good before and they have a good team now. Loving your team is fine and we all appreciate the excitement you have for them but you just go overboard with it sometimes

 

Spencer County doesn't have the successful history that a lot of the teams that have been at the top of the region since the beginning of time. Of course they have had a few good years with 2011 making it to the regional final and I the 1984 team winning district. But other than that it has been slim pickings. I came on here two years ago seeing the very good young talent in the program and started talking Spencer County up and I was met with sarcasm and "looked down the nose at". I think you can look back at message board history post and see what I'm talking about. 8th region Warrior--you were one of those that kind of scoffed-- so of course when I was met with that I talked up my team. You questioned pretty much every prediction and everything that I told you was going to happen with the transfer and other things at Spencer County. I'm sorry I didn't lay down and keep my mouth shut. Anyway, it is all good. Good luck to Gallatin and Walton Verona. I hope they do well.

Dare I say, the 8th region threads have overtaken the 9th region threads as “most hostile”. District and regional chatter is going to be very entertaining.

  • Author
Dare I say, the 8th region threads have overtaken the 9th region threads as “most hostile”. District and regional chatter is going to be very entertaining.

 

Ouch.

Where is the all 8th region team listed?

Where is the all 8th region team listed?

 

They have been announced today. Haven’t seen a complete list. Just four players.

1. Cobe Penny- Anderson County (Player of the Year)

2. Brennan Stanley- Walton-Verona

3. Devin Young- South Oldham

4. Jackson Gibson- Oldham County

5. Nick Fort- Collins

6. Justin Rose- North Oldham

7. Justin Rassman- Gallatin County

8. Troy Coomer- Gallatin County

9. Zach Clinkenbeard- Walton-Verona

10. Dayvion McKnight- Collins

11. Jacob Feltner- Collins

12. Zach Kelch- Simon Kenton

13. Travis Henderson- Oldham County

14. Kelly Niece- Simon Kenton

15. Zach Larimore- Oldham County

Ought-oh I noticed that one team I won't mention has no player in the top 20.

Spencer County top five in the region and no players on the all region team. Bogus. Should be good fuel to the players to prove some people wrong. Sad for the Spencer County players that earned a spot. I guess being a well balanced team with almost 5 kids averaging double figures can hurt you. Pretty disappointing.

Several worthy candidates didn't make it.

Conley and Coke from Spencer

Morrison and Hicks from South

Kitchens from Simon

Pardee from WV

I can't say that any of those picked don't deserve it. There are a lot of quality players and coaches in the 8th.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.