9th Region stretch run predictions

You have to get to the regional first and I think the matchups favor Ryle in the 33rd district. They will get the # 1 seed and Boone C. the # 4 seed leaving Cooper and Conner to battle it out for the spot opposite Ryle in the regional. This means that one of those two teams will not even make the regional. They have split home and away and this year the district is at Ryle so their matchup will be on a neutral court. I know that home court is not as important for the girls as crowds are not usually that big of a home court factor but the court familiarity can be a factor. Conner has played the tougher schedule but the last 2 weeks they have lost 4 of 6 games against tough opponents with the exception of Notre Dame. They need to right the ship with tough games against Dixie tonight, Ryle on Wednesday, Highlands on Feb. 9th and Holy Cross on Feb. 13th. Wins in 3 of those 4 would go a long way in getting them ready for that crucial matchup with Lexi Held and company in the first round of the districts. Conner is clearly the better all around team but they need to step it up down the stretch to be ready for tournament time.

Highlands is coming on strong winning 7 of their last 8 and Jamie Richey will have her girls ready for the 35th districts and you have to think they should have no problem getting to the regional this year with the # 1 seed in that district. NCC is the clear favorite for the other spot from that district.

Dixie should be the favorite in the 33rd with a 3-0 district record and they should make the regional with St. Henry the other likely participant.

That leaves the other spots for Holmes and Holy Cross from the 34th district.

All in all it should make for an interesting 9th regional tournament with a chance for any of these teams to get hot and represent at BB&T in March.

My predictions to make it to NKU. No surprises.

33rd - Ryle/Conner

34th - Dixie/St. Henry

35th - Holy Cross/Holmes

36th - Highlands/NCC

I'd flip Holmes and HC but keep all of the same teams. Match up will become key. Everyone is going to hope to draw the 34th champion (probably Dixie) if the are on the loser side of the Districts.

NCC and St. Henry should be much easier 1st round draws if you are on the winner side.

Unless something quirky happens (and since we know they will be on opposite sides of the bracket), I see Conner and Ryle meeting for the 4th time this year in the Regional Finals

I'll take Ryle for the win and my outside shot would be Holmes.