Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tubby vs. Cal

Featured Replies

I wouldn't, but I was around a lot of UK fans who said the season was a bust.

 

I haven't come across anyone like that but I sure do feel sorry for them.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there are several factors. For the record, I didn't want Tubby to go. At all.

 

1. They haven't had the same level of success. Several posters above me have expounded upon it.

2. It's fun to ALWAYS be in the conversation. It's not entirely logical, but it truly is.

3. A decent portion of UK fans are insane. I mean, there is small percentage that represents themselves rather loudly that would like to see Cal go.

4. I think it's a rather small factor here but Tubby was black and Cal isn't. Racism exists, to say it doesn't is foolish. However, if Tubby had the same winning % and got to the FF the same amount I think he would've stayed longer. Winning overcomes a lot.

However, if Tubby had the same winning % and got to the FF the same amount I think he would've stayed longer. Winning overcomes a lot.

 

I don't even think the same amount of Final Fours is necessary. If they beat Michigan State in 2005 instead of losing in Double OT, Tubby would have bought himself a few more years.

I don't even think the same amount of Final Fours is necessary. If they beat Michigan State in 2005 instead of losing in Double OT, Tubby would have bought himself a few more years.

 

Probably right.

I also think Tubby was loyal to a fault with an assistant coach or two.

 

Matt Jones has told the story of Patrick Patterson's mom calling Tubby and telling him that if he sent Reggie Hanson to make another recruiting trip to the Patterson's home, then Patrick would most assuredly not come to UK.

 

I had always heard that Tubby was told to cut loose an assistant or two and he refused, so he decided to move on.

I also think Tubby was loyal to a fault with an assistant coach or two.

 

Matt Jones has told the story of Patrick Patterson's mom calling Tubby and telling him that if he sent Reggie Hanson to make another recruiting trip to the Patterson's home, then Patrick would most assuredly not come to UK.

 

I had always heard that Tubby was told to cut loose an assistant or two and he refused, so he decided to move on.

 

I've heard that too and I'm not dismissing that as false. But I'm not sure if it wasn't a trap. I believe the administration KNEW Tubby was going to stick by them and set the ultimatum. Then they had an easy way out.

I've heard that too and I'm not dismissing that as false. But I'm not sure if it wasn't a trap. I believe the administration KNEW Tubby was going to stick by them and set the ultimatum. Then they had an easy way out.

 

I've never considered that until now, but there's probably a lot of truth in that.

I was also thinking the final two years is what people remember. He lost 24-25 games those two years? I know Cal had a couple double digit loss seasons but that was earlier in his time at UK and directly followed a NC. That buys you a lot of cushion.

 

Wasnt one of the double digit losing seasons for CAL a national runner up season. When you play 40 games in a season, that double digit loss thing goes out the window

I've never considered that until now, but there's probably a lot of truth in that.

 

I think that's kind of the case anytime those type of ultimatum's are set. The administration is giving themselves a way out. Especially when it can be a very tricky fire.

One factor that turned on Tubby and maybe why some are turning on Cal...the teams got to where they weren't fun to watch any longer. This year the UK team isn't fun to watch even when they win, Tubby's teams were like that for several years.

2. It's fun to ALWAYS be in the conversation. It's not entirely logical, but it truly is.

 

This is true too.

 

I would add to it...if you're not in the conversation and yet still make a Final Four run, that's an added bonus. The Randle/twins year & the Brandon Knight year (to a lesser degree), UK wasn't really in the conversation as contender, yet they ended up that way. I also think the memorable run the team went on during the Randle/twins year made fans forget how frustrating the regular season was. And with the Brandon Knight year, they beat one of the tourney favorites in Ohio State & then a rival in North Carolina to get to the Final Four.

 

The years Tubby's teams were not in the conversation, they lived up to expectations. Makes a difference IMO.

 

Where I credit Tubby, though, is that he never failed to make the tournament.

Almost all of CAL's recruiting classes are considered Top 2 0r 3 in the country for each individual season. That doesnt mean that every crop of freshmen coming out of HS is equal. Some classes are just better than others. Those numbers beside the names reflect where a guy ranks this year. It doesnt tell how that guy stands compared to the class the year before or the next class.

Almost all of CAL's recruiting classes are considered Top 2 0r 3 in the country for each individual season. That doesnt mean that every crop of freshmen coming out of HS is equal. Some classes are just better than others. Those numbers beside the names reflect where a guy ranks this year. It doesnt tell how that guy stands compared to the class the year before or the next class.

 

This was proven in the 2012 Senior Class from HS that was ranked at or near the top that included Noel, Goodwin and Poythress.

One factor that turned on Tubby and maybe why some are turning on Cal...the teams got to where they weren't fun to watch any longer. This year the UK team isn't fun to watch even when they win, Tubby's teams were like that for several years.

 

I don't disagree with you that some find it not as fun. Buy why is that? Don't have a three point shooter that does three goggles, shotguns or bows and arrows? No at many lobs? What makes a UK fan team fun?

 

I bet a lot of UK fans sure had fun on December 29th.

 

Where I credit Tubby, though, is that he never failed to make the tournament.

 

Speculation of course, but if Nerlens Noel doesn't get hurt, I believe you're saying the same about Cal.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.