Newport 59 Lexington Catholic 57 (OT)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not shocked at all. I've seen both play against PC over the summer and Newport looked more dangerous because they have better shooters. LC has better size and I'm sure they may have been missing a few players the game I saw but Newport can flat out shoot the rock.

Coach Snapp does a great job and this is a huge win for the cats.

One detail not mentioned thus far is that this game was won in OT.

While it was mostly a close affair, and tied at halftime 26/26, Newport did stretch their lead to as many as 9 points at one point in the 2nd half, and were up by about 6 with 3:00 to go in the game.

LexCath relentlessly fought hard to keep it a game, and the bucket that tied it dropped with the last couple of ticks of regulation. They came very close to tying it again in OT, but their last ditch efforts just would not drop this time around.

Game.

Newport by 2 in OT.

Newport can play with anyone when they hit their 3's..

This is true with a few unranked teams in KY. It's awesome to see Newport get a statement win.

It would not be fair if this went unmentioned, but kudos to the kid who amazingly went 4 for 4 from half court during the half court shot challenge.

At the break during the Brossart/Ryle game he was the first to give it a try, and just nailed it.

He came back to try again during the Newport/LexCath game, and nailed 3 more, bam bam bam, like in ain't no thing.

Truly amazing!!! :ylsuper:

I've never seen anything like it.

Sign that kid up!!! :thumb:

Newport is 6-2, with an OT loss to rival Holmes, and a tough 5 pt loss to Campbell (also ranked in the state). How are they up & down? What am I missing?

Games aren’t played on paper.

Good win for Newport.

They also had close wins against Brossart, Bone County, and Conner. All decent to good teams, but no where near Top 25 in the state, such as, Lex cath and Campbell County. Iwould think they would handle the former three better than that.

I agree, they are a good team that can be outstanding. They certainly haven't been consistent, but it is still early.