Three Danville Players Earn Walk-on Offers from Kentucky

Wireman

How much bigger was Craig Yeast his senior year of high school than VanCleave is now?

On the NFL website he was listed at 5-7, 167. I don't know what Van Cleave is listed at but in seeing him I'd guess he's slightly smaller than Yeast's listing (which makes sense because you asked his high school size, not NFL).

I think you've proven my point - there are guys that size, especially if they are blazing fast, who can play at UK and other high-level Division I schools. However, those schools are too often reluctant to take a chance with a scholarship because if it doesn't work there really isn't anything else you can do with a player that size.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you can play, you can play. I don't care how fast he is. And it sounds like he is exceptionally fast. UK will find a place for him if that's where he decides to go. After all, one of these guys was just named MVP of his league:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]64868[/ATTACH]

How is that an even remotely equal comparison? Those guys all play different sports and the one named MVP plays in the sports least affected by size.

VanCleave can play at any level. He isn't going to carry it 30 times up the middle in the SEC, but there are places for guys like him. He would be worth a scholarship just as a return man and to run a reverse or sweep here and there.

How does VanCleave compare to Moore at Trinity?

Moore is 5'9" 175

VanCleave is 5'7" 165

I haven't seen Moore run in person but I've heard their skill set is similar. I guess 2" equals the different in Big 12 scholarship and possible SEC walk-on. Pretty crazy if you ask me but that seems to be the issue.

Well hopefully it does become official.

From what I was told,

They discussed it to gauge if that is an option and UK will revisit in January or February to see where things stand. I believe all three players will have choices at that point and they will go from there

Moore is 5'9" 175

VanCleave is 5'7" 165

I haven't seen Moore run in person but I've heard their skill set is similar. I guess 2" equals the different in Big 12 scholarship and possible SEC walk-on. Pretty crazy if you ask me but that seems to be the issue.

Think about how many high school players are 5-7, 5-9, and then just a little bigger. If a college is going to give scholarships to five wide receivers (that may be high) it would be incredibly difficult to make distinctions between all of those guys. They typically skew toward larger sized kids, fair or not. That's why sometimes guys the size of Van Cleave end up at lower levels and then fans say "he should be at UK." It's also why sometimes guys that size end up at UK and just aren't big enough and never get off the bench and fans say "they wasted a scholarship on that guy." Its a guessing game and coaches typically guess big. They are playing the percentages.