Covington Catholic 49 Madison Southern 13 - 5A State Championship

theguru

Unless I missed something, there was zero coverage of Beechwood or Cov Cath by the Enquirer this weekend.

You missed it on the Beechwood part, Saturday's paper page 7 in the sports section, nice article by James Weber. I am guessing the deadline passed to get CCH info in todays paper, Weber was tweeting from the game, so I think it will be in tomorrows paper.

see post #20

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Northern Kentucky Tribune:

Link>>> CovCath completes perfect season with impressive victory in Class 5A state championship game

By Terry Boehmker

NKyTribune sports reporter

LEXINGTON — There wasn’t much suspense during Covington Catholic’s methodical march to the Class 5A state football championship. The Colonels won all five of their playoff games by comfortable margins, including a 49-13 victory over Madison Southern in the title game on Saturday at the University of Kentucky’s Kroger Field.

CovCath finished with a perfect 15-0 record for the first time and the program now has a 7-0 record in state championship games. All 12 of the Colonels’ wins against Kentucky opponents this season ended with a running clock that starts once a team takes a 36-point lead.

“These kids deserve this,” CovCath coach Eddie Eviston said after receiving the Russell Athletic/KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl championship trophy.

From Cincinnati Fox 19 TV:

Link>>> Cov Cath wins state championship

By Joe Danneman, Sports Anchor

LEXINGTON, KY (FOX19) -

The Covington Catholic football team completed the first perfect season in program history with a 49-13 win over Madison Southern in the Class 5A Kentucky state championship.

Quarterback A.J. Mayer threw for 337 yards, ran for 71 yards and finished with six total touchdowns as Cov Cath finished the season 15-0.

“I’m proud as heck of my team and I love my school so much,” said Mayer.

You missed it on the Beechwood part, Saturday's paper page 7 in the sports section, nice article by James Weber. I am guessing the deadline passed to get CCH info in todays paper, Weber was tweeting from the game, so I think it will be in tomorrows paper.

I looked twice and didn’t see it! I stand corrected!

Congrats are most definitely in order, this was a great football team. Can anyone stop next year's team from a repeat?

They have plenty of talent coming back with multiple D1 guys, but I believe so does South Warren and Bowling Green. Don’t know much about the rest of the state but the gap was very substantial this year. Highlands should be better as well.

Also, let’s not forget about how special a player and leader AJ was. They will have multiple QBs battling to replace him including a special Frosh, but this team I imagine will be a lot of the Casey Mac show to begin the year.