Jimbo Fisher leaving FSU for Texas A&M

UK#1fanisback

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not when your school refuses to invest the way Jimbo wants. A&M has invested a lot of money into their program.

It's still a downgrade. A&M hasn't won a conference title in nearly 20 years or a national title in almost 80 years. Three times in this century has A&M finished in the top 25. From a pure football standpoint there is almost no metric that argues that A&M is even a lateral move. Yes, A&M has some shiny new facilities.

FSU has in no way indicated they aren't going to invest in those facilities, but they didn't move as fast as Jimbo wanted. I get that, and I'm not saying he's wrong with that, but they are in the planning stages. The issue is that Jimbo has spent three years trying to leverage job offers to get what he wants. He was given a ten year contract with a buyout for the full term, which made him borderline unfireable.

And even getting past the leveraging, it's not as if Jimbo has not been without his faults. His loyalty to his assistants has made this season's dumpster fire possible, and last year not what it could have been. Their failure this year is almost entirely because the offensive line is a complete shambles, and it got their starting QB put out for the year in the first game. That after Francois spent the entirety of last season running for his life and taking brutal hits. How in the world Trickett was retained coming into this year is a complete mystery except for Jimbo simply refusing to budge. Charles Kelly has similarly been a disaster at the DC spot.

Jimbo furthermore handled this ending about as poorly as he could have, possibly intentionally so. By multiple accounts, no one on the staff has been actively recruiting for a month, and it had the look of him being evasive to the point of intentionally leaving recruits twisting in the wind. Normally, I'd fear a coach taking said recruits with him. I'm more afraid of them simply going to other schools because I do not believe the recruits are pleased with how he exited.

I don't want it to sound all doom and gloom. I am very grateful to Jimbo and how he guided the program following Bowden's exit. FSU had languished for a decade before Jimbo took over, and he immediately guided them back to prosperity, culminating in the national championship and a return to the playoffs the next year. I will probably still root for him at A&M so long as they're not playing FSU. I wish this had not happened because I had no desire for him to leave, but once the ball started rolling, it became necessary.

Fisher was unhappy with the lack of investment in facilities at fsu.

I think that's an understatement. I have not visited FSU, but by all accounts the whole football facility is just not good. I've also heard the same things about LSU. When you look at the facilities A&M has put together and I can kind of understand why he would leave. They'll spend the money Fisher wants to spend. Fisher had a couple assistant coaches in Tallahassee who most fans didn't really like. I think Jimbo is going to play it off as FSU wouldn't pay their replacements enough so he couldn't fire them.