20 Years Ago Today........

Lawnboy13

INXS front-man, Michael Hutchence 37, was found dead in his hotel room in Sydney. His death was reported by the New South Wales Coroner to be the result of suicide. Hutchence's body was discovered by a hotel maid at 11:50 am. Police reported that, "He was in a kneeling position facing the door. He had used his snake skin belt to tie a knot on the automatic door closure at the top of the door, and had strained his head forward into the loop so hard that the buckle had broken.

I was never a big INXS fan, however back in 1988 the very first concert I ever worked for the Cincinnati Stagehands was the INXS concert at the Riverfront Coliseum. I was very impressed with their showmanship and stage presence. Michael Hutchence was one hell of a front-man, one that could easily rival David Lee Roth at the time, it's a shame his life was cut short.

I've got about 20 of their tunes in my music library and I really enjoy all the songs off the "Kick" album.

This is my favorite INXS song.....

Can a Mod fix the thread title to read 20 Years Ago Today, damn fat-fingers. :ohbrother:

Thank God! I was freaking out, thinking I'd lost a decade of my life....but then thinking....retirement is right around the corner! :lol2:

I LOVED (still love) INXS.

Don't Change is my favorite of all.

Love INXS... "The One Thing" was the very first video I ever saw on MTV. Got to see them at the Nutter Center at Wright State with the Soup Dragons in 1991. Michael Hutchence always reminded me of Jim Morrison.

Though the official report on his death was suicide, back when it happened it was rumored that it had been a result of auto-erotic asphyxiation.

Here's a link of famous people who had been suspected of dying of such, and Michael Hutchence is listed among them.

Famous People Who Died of Auto-Erotic Asphyxiation | List of Celebrity Choking While Masturbating Deaths

Though never knowing that auto-erotic asphyxiation was a thing, years ago in my mid-20's I briefly hung around a hippy dude who had a permanent rope burn on his neck from doing so. As you might imagine, dude was a bit off center. I really never spoke to him about it because the whole suggestion of it creeped me out.

He was a local guy who was Gatewood Galbrath's right hand man in Covington when Galbrath was running for Governor of Kentucky on his sole platform of legalization of marijuana.

My "friend" I recall back around the time I was hanging with him was always super paranoid that his TV was spying on him and shushed me if I mentioned marijuana while in his apartment. (Funny we now have the technology for such a thing...so remarkably he was sorta ahead of the game)...

...Also funny is that he lived directly across the street from the jail, and ultimately was arrested for a huge amount of pot.

Then he moved to San Francisco and launched a big campaign for the legalization of medical marijuana out there where he again was arrested for possession.

I've completely lost track of him and can't trace him online, but he often said that he wanted to live in Holland where marijuana was legal, so it wouldn't surprise me if he moved there. Weird thing is that I did locate someone with his exact same name who is a marijuana activist, but it's not the same guy.

This hippy dude of which I speak was very much a megalomanic and while maybe not being as extreme as Charles Manson, was manipulative in a comparable way and I can just imagine how he might've been when he first moved to San Francisco to immediately try to make a name for himself there and find other lost stoner hippy kids to follow him and his causes.

Anyhow I have digressed, and was only bringing this freak up because it was through him that I had first ever heard of auto-erotic asphyxiation.

Sorry to thread jack, but thinking about this dude had me digging and digging some more to see if I could come up with anything, and after much searching I found him, and what I found is incredibly bizarre.

It seems that sometime around 2003 he moved to Thailand when he was about 40 (For what I do not know) and while there met a 25 year old woman with whom he married, and then moved back to San Francisco.

There they had 3 children, and in 2006 his Dad in Cincinnati passed away leaving the house to him.

He moved back to Cincinnati in the Hartwell neighborhood, and opened up a place called Cosmic Pizza where in 2013 a man walked into the parlor and shot and killed him.

By this time his oldest son was 8, and his wife barely spoke English, didn't know any neighbors, didn't know her address, and didn't really much know how to function because Rich did everything as well as home schooling their kids, and only fed them healthy food, and raised them with no TV and tried to protect them from being institutionalized the best I can judge, which does follow considering that he was very alternative about his existence.

When he died no one really knew who he was or the family, yet neighbors all jumped to attention helping his wife with every possible thing starting at square one to help her get on her feet, and 4 years later they'll all doing quite well and living about as normal lives as possible with the children all attending school thanks to all of the help that the neighbors granted her and her children.

He had an estranged sister who only knew of his death by googling him. The last they spoke was in 2006 when she contacted him in SF to finalize the estate, and even then had trouble locating him to do that. Turns out now she has befriended his wife and stays close to her and her family.

The photos of Rich blow my mind because the last I saw him he was a total long haired hippy freak. When I originally met him when I was about 20 he did look like a younger version of these photos yet l saw him change into a deadhead tye-dyed wearing stoner dude complete hippy. He even looks younger in these photos than I remember him from the 90's. I guess the hair and beard made him look much older.

My association with Rich was mostly related to partying, philosophizing, and listening to music (mostly the Grateful Dead because he was obsessed with them and had a billion cassette tapes of their live shows). While he was an intense character we did have some very interesting conversations. He was pretty much a wild fringe chance taker but with an entrepreneurial spirit (He designed his own tye-dyed outfits and sold them at Dead shows), and I recall that he wanted me to do LSD with him on the roof of his apartment, which I declined just knowing that it had "bad idea" written all over it. He had already been goofing around with a friend of his on the Ohio previously where his friend drowned to death, so I wasn't ever too keen on following Rich too strongly whenever he came up with a wild idea.

In some ways I'm not at all surprised that he died young, but I am rather surprised that in some ways it looks like he was actually getting his life together. Though the article doesn't mention it, there's no doubt in my mind that the dude still smoked mass quantities of pot (not that there's anything wrong with that).

This article was an incredibly interesting read for me, and I can't say since you guys don't know Rich if it would at all interest you, but it's so wild to once and for all solve the puzzle "Whatever happened to Rich Evans?"

The Evans Family is Living in This World - Cincinnati Magazine

Here is his wife's Facebook page with tons of family photos...

Somehow or another I came across his Dad's obituary (Never knew his Dad), where a childhood friend of Rich's living in Tacoma, WA wrote a comment in it 7 years after the Dad died, and it was the only comment on the obit page, but in it he made reference of Rich being murdered, so that lead me to this Cincinnati Magazine article.

Sorry to thread jack, but thinking about this dude had me digging and digging some more to see if I could come up with anything, and after much searching I found him, and what I found is incredibly bizarre.

It seems that sometime around 2003 he moved to Thailand when he was about 40 (For what I do not know) and while there met a 25 year old woman with whom he married, and then moved back to San Francisco.

There they had 3 children, and in 2006 his Dad in Cincinnati passed away leaving the house to him.

He moved back to Cincinnati in the Hartwell neighborhood, and opened up a place called Cosmic Pizza where in 2013 a man walked into the parlor and shot and killed him.

By this time his oldest son was 8, and his wife barely spoke English, didn't know any neighbors, didn't know her address, and didn't really much know how to function because Rich did everything as well as home schooling their kids, and only fed them healthy food, and raised them with no TV and tried to protect them from being institutionalized the best I can judge, which does follow considering that he was very alternative about his existence.

When he died no one really knew who he was or the family, yet neighbors all jumped to attention helping his wife with every possible thing starting at square one to help her get on her feet, and 4 years later they'll all doing quite well and living about as normal lives as possible with the children all attending school thanks to all of the help that the neighbors granted her and her children.

He had an estranged sister who only knew of his death by googling him. The last they spoke was in 2006 when she contacted him in SF to finalize the estate, and even then had trouble locating him to do that. Turns out now she has befriended his wife and stays close to her and her family.

The photos of Rich blow my mind because the last I saw him he was a total long haired hippy freak. When I originally met him when I was about 20 he did look like a younger version of these photos yet l saw him change into a deadhead tye-dyed wearing stoner dude complete hippy. He even looks younger in these photos than I remember him from the 90's. I guess the hair and beard made him look much older.

My association with Rich was mostly related to partying, philosophizing, and listening to music (mostly the Grateful Dead because he was obsessed with them and had a billion cassette tapes of their live shows). While he was an intense character we did have some very interesting conversations. He was pretty much a wild fringe chance taker but with an entrepreneurial spirit (He designed his own tye-dyed outfits and sold them at Dead shows), and I recall that he wanted me to do LSD with him on the roof of his apartment, which I declined just knowing that it had "bad idea" written all over it. He had already been goofing around with a friend of his on the Ohio previously where his friend drowned to death, so I wasn't ever too keen on following Rich too strongly whenever he came up with a wild idea.

In some ways I'm not at all surprised that he died young, but I am rather surprised that in some ways it looks like he was actually getting his life together. Though the article doesn't mention it, there's no doubt in my mind that the dude still smoked mass quantities of pot (not that there's anything wrong with that).

This article was an incredibly interesting read for me, and I can't say since you guys don't know Rich if it would at all interest you, but it's so wild to once and for all solve the puzzle "Whatever happened to Rich Evans?"

The Evans Family is Living in This World - Cincinnati Magazine

Here is his wife's Facebook page with tons of family photos...

Somehow or another I came across his Dad's obituary (Never knew his Dad), where a childhood friend of Rich's living in Tacoma, WA wrote a comment in it 7 years after the Dad died, and it was the only comment on the obit page, but in it he made reference of Rich being murdered, so that lead me to this Cincinnati Magazine article.

Very interesting story. Read the article as well about the murder and the family. Widow with now 4 kids. The community rallied around her. Good stuff.