Bobcat Sightings in Boone County

StrongSide

There were 2,198 bob cats legally harvested in the state of Kentucky last year.

2 in Boone, 1 in Kenton and zero in Campbell county. There were 7 in Pendleton where my farm is located.

Guys I hunt with have seen a few of them this year. Hunting season is open from the 4th Saturday in November thru the end of February.

I know the response is going to be "no it is a Bobcat" but I was out with some guys this weekend that have lived on a farm in Boone County all their lives and they both claim there is a Mountain Lion that came through their property, they saw it, and the Coyotes they normally hear all the time haven't been heard from since.

Owsley County, where I live, has a good population of Bobcats, and quite a few black bears. The bears have migrated in over the past 20 years from the counties south of us.

Also way too many coyotes. I wish they had stayed west of the Mississippi but it’s my understanding they crossed the frozen river during the very cold and snowy winters of 1976/77 and 1977/78. I know that there were zero coyotes in eastern Kentucky prior to the 1970’s.