October 10, 200619 yr Strive and buy a win are two different things. I don't like teams that throw cash around to buy off other teams best players when they can't financially compete with you instead of building a winner. The Boss deserves all of the success he has had this millenium.I believe Steinbrenner has 2 options, when signing as you say "other teams best players" 1) Often big money, is directly connected to "SuperStars" and they usually, provide offensive punch or quality pitching 2) His premise of management, seems to be built around "intimidation"....I brought you in for XXXX$'s and if you don't produce, I'll trade you to XXXX city....Motivation to produce, around other superstars often is contagious and the thought, of being traded to a non-contender, can have the same effect at times.
October 10, 200619 yr Justice's first year for the Braves, was '89 I think but he didn't play much until the following year. Murphy left right around '90 I believe. Wasn't Claudell Washington also in right field for the Braves? I can't remember the year.
October 10, 200619 yr Wasn't Claudell Washington also in right field for the Braves? I can't remember the year.In 1990, the Brave OF... Dale Murphy Lonnie Smith Ron Gant David Justice ....and some small player, can't remember I don't think, Washington was on that team.
October 11, 200619 yr I think A-Rod is a bargain right now for the way New York feels about him. How about Dunn & Ross for A-Rod?The Yankees wouldn't stop laughing at that offer. To get A-Rod, it's going to take at least an established quality player and a high-level prospect or two.
October 11, 200619 yr In 1990, the Brave OF... Dale Murphy Lonnie Smith Ron Gant David Justice ....and some small player, can't remember I don't think, Washington was on that team. Washington was acquired by the Braves in 1980 and later traded to the Yankees in 1986 for none other than Ken Griffey.
October 11, 200619 yr Washington was acquired by the Braves in 1980 and later traded to the Yankees in 1986 for none other than Ken Griffey.Interesting and it doesn't seem that long ago. A-Rod, is another in a long line of superstars, who have worn the pinstripes. The media coverage and attention, is overwhelming at times I would imagine but part of the day-to-day grind, that he must carry. I think the Yankees will keep him and move Sheffield or Giambi, just my thoughts and will Bernie Williams retire or look to move on.
October 11, 200619 yr Agree here also....I like A-Rod, but nobody is worth $20±mil a year...(unless they want to give it to me, for some reason) Hard burden to carry and living up to, the unrealistic expectations. What other players hit .290BA, 26 DB's, 35 HR's and 121 RBI±.....and they are considered to have had, a bad year.:confused: He had ups and downs, just like most and yes, his batting average was down but everything he does, is magnified x 10, from other players as a result of his ridiculous salary. Guaranteed contracts in general is the problem with professional sports in my opinion. If you are going to pay some of these guys the price that they bring, then there should be performance clauses in all of their contracts rather than just bonus clauses. You should have to produce, before you get all the cash. Seems like all these contracts are all one sided to me. There is not a lot of incentive to have to perform to the level of whatever numeral is afixed to the contract. Ultimately however the team owners are the ones that should be chastized for paying the outlandish salaries that players are being paid . Just because someone is stupid enough to pay AROD what he makes does not mean that AROD should be stupid enough not to take it. I dont think anybody is holding a gun to the heads of any of the team owners to offer such ridiculous numbers. Hey STRIKE3 , looks like you may have picked a winner with the guy in your avatar this time. They are looking pretty good right now.
October 11, 200619 yr Guaranteed contracts in general is the problem with professional sports in my opinion. If you are going to pay some of these guys the price that they bring, then there should be performance clauses in all of their contracts rather than just bonus clauses. You should have to produce, before you get all the cash. Seems like all these contracts are all one sided to me. There is not a lot of incentive to have to perform to the level of whatever numeral is afixed to the contract. Ultimately however the team owners are the ones that should be chastised for paying the outlandish salaries that players are being paid . Just because someone is stupid enough to pay AROD what he makes does not mean that AROD should be stupid enough not to take it. I don't think anybody is holding a gun to the heads of any of the team owners to offer such ridiculous numbers. Hey STRIKE3 , looks like you may have picked a winner with the guy in your avatar this time. They are looking pretty good right now. Well said my friend and 1-year, incentive based contracts would help all athletes and their performances. Fans bear the burden of carrying these salaries and then, often teams must be dismantled and move to the bottom of the ladder, as a result of not being able to afford players. It's been a while, for us Detroit fans since we've had something to cheer about. Leyland was the key, to what Tramel had begun.
October 11, 200619 yr Well said my friend and 1-year, incentive based contracts would help all athletes and their performances. Fans bear the burden of carrying these salaries and then, often teams must be dismantled and move to the bottom of the ladder, as a result of not being able to afford players. It's been a while, for us Detroit fans since we've had something to cheer about. Leyland was the key, to what Tramel had begun. :thumb:
October 11, 200619 yr Interesting and it doesn't seem that long ago. A-Rod, is another in a long line of superstars, who have worn the pinstripes. The media coverage and attention, is overwhelming at times I would imagine but part of the day-to-day grind, that he must carry. I think the Yankees will keep him and move Sheffield or Giambi, just my thoughts and will Bernie Williams retire or look to move on. I agree. I also think that Sheffield & Giambi contribute to a lot of the turmoil that seem to follow the Yankees. I don't agree with players calling out other players in the media. A real leader & team player does it one on one behind closed doors with the teams best intentions in mind when doing so.
October 11, 200619 yr I agree. I also think that Sheffield & Giambi contribute to a lot of the turmoil that seem to follow the Yankees. I don't agree with players calling out other players in the media. A real leader & team player does it one on one behind closed doors with the teams best intentions in mind when doing so. Not only calling out other players in the media but Sheffield was the idiot who called out Torre after game 4 and said it was his fault that the Yankees lost that game. Sheffield is a clubhouse cancer, has been ever since he entered this league. I remember back when the Braves got him from the Dodgers, he said the same thing any player says when they get traded to a good team "I always dreamed about playing for Atlanta, I was hoping to get drafted by them". Then what does he says 2 weeks before October a year later. "I question this teams desire to win in the finals weeks of the season". It's stupid things like that, that makes teams not want him anymore.
October 11, 200619 yr Well said my friend and 1-year, incentive based contracts would help all athletes and their performances. Fans bear the burden of carrying these salaries and then, often teams must be dismantled and move to the bottom of the ladder, as a result of not being able to afford players. It's been a while, for us Detroit fans since we've had something to cheer about. Leyland was the key, to what Tramel had begun. It's hard to imagine how good some players could be if they had to stay hungry each and every season.
October 11, 200619 yr It's hard to imagine how good some players could be if they had to be hungry each and every season.100% agree....:thumb:
October 11, 200619 yr The Yankees wouldn't stop laughing at that offer. To get A-Rod, it's going to take at least an established quality player and a high-level prospect or two. Dunn is not established? Ross they probably would laugh at but we may have seen his best so get while the getting is good. Heck I'm for Griffey & Dunn for A-Rod.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.