Where does Mayfield currently stand in the hierarchy of 2A?

Where does Mayfield stand right now?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Mayfield stand right now?

• They're just as big a favorite as anyone else
    • They're still a threat, but probably a year away from putting it all together

Do you think Beechwood would be the best team in 2A?

If DeSales or Danville was playing Corbin I would make either team a slight favorite.. LCA maybe a slight underdog.. CAL and Newcath 10-14 point underdogs right now.

Beechwood...no

I agree with you on DeSales being a slight favorite but maybe not Danville.

I also believe Mayfield was two TD's better than Corbin if Mayfield could have played them at full strength and the silly trick play they ran. But Mayfield did their best and moved on.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beechwood...no

I agree with you on DeSales being a slight favorite but maybe not Danville.

I also believe Mayfield was two TD's better than Corbin if Mayfield could have played them at full strength and the silly trick play they ran. But Mayfield did their best and moved on.

Danville has a win over Boyle County who has been every bit as impressive as Corbin (if not more if you take away the Mayfield win).

I agree with that but a couple of their wins have been shaky against pedestrian opponents

Yes and no

Frederick Douglass is a team in that 10-15 range of 6A... Tates Creek as well. I think almost everyone considers both teams to be better than McCracken County.

Knox Central and Graves County are pretty comparable

Pulaski County is a good bit better thank Hopkinsville

Waggener and Tilghman are comparable teams.

Garrard County is a pretty "meh" team, but they dominated them. Let's call that comparable to Murray.

Somerset is a good team... do I consider them comparable to Union City? I have no clue. I am struggling to quantify how good U.C. really is. Calpreps suggests Somerset and Union City are comparable.

Just my viewpoint, I think Danville has played a tougher schedule than Mayfield, not leaps and bounds by any means but noticeably tougher. They also have the undefeated record whereas Mayfield took a Loss. I think Mayfield was a bit more impressive in some of their victories.

Yes and no

Frederick Douglass is a team in that 10-15 range of 6A... Tates Creek as well. I think almost everyone considers both teams to be better than McCracken County.

Knox Central and Graves County are pretty comparable

Pulaski County is a good bit better thank Hopkinsville

Waggener and Tilghman are comparable teams.

Garrard County is a pretty "meh" team, but they dominated them. Let's call that comparable to Murray.

Somerset is a good team... do I consider them comparable to Union City? I have no clue. I am struggling to quantify how good U.C. really is. Calpreps suggests Somerset and Union City are comparable.

Just my viewpoint, I think Danville has played a tougher schedule than Mayfield, not leaps and bounds by any means but noticeably tougher. They also have the undefeated record whereas Mayfield took a Loss. I think Mayfield was a bit more impressive in some of their victories.

Mayfield's loss to Corbin is better than Danville's win against Waggoner as I see it and you want to do an accurate comparison .

Union City was ranked #1 in 2A in Tennessee back when Mayfield beat them and they are ranked #2 right now with Mayfield being their only loss. The Corbin game could have gone either way and sometimes you can take a good defeat and learn from it. Graves and McCracken while they aren't world beaters they are solid teams. I also don't think anyone has great read on any team. I would put DeSales at #1 but I believe Mayfield can go toe to toe with them. Danville and LCA are the two teams to me that are hard to get a good read on.

They were virtually dead even last year, and I don't think much has changed. Both teams have an abundance of big play ability, but LCA seems a little better equipped to repeatedly move the chains and sustain drives, at least based on what I've seen. Everything I've seen on Danville so far looks like a track meet breaking out at a football game.

Mayfield's loss to Corbin is better than Danville's win against Waggoner as I see it and you want to do an accurate comparison .

The problem is you are taking by far the toughest team Mayfield played and using that game to offset Waggener.

Let's take those two games out of the equation and compare the rest of the schedule:

1. Danville win vs. Boyle, Mayfield win vs. Union City- Advantage Danville

2. Danville win vs. Tates Creek, Mayfield win vs. Graves County- Advantage Danville

3. Danville win vs. Douglass, Mayfield win vs. McCracken- Advantage Danville

4. Danville win vs. Somerset, Mayfield win vs. Hopkinsville- Advantage Danville

5. Danville win vs. Pulaski Co, Mayfield win vs. Tilghman- Advantage Danville

6. Danville win vs. Knox Central, Mayfield win vs. Murray- Advantage Danville

For fun, here are those same games with their Calpreps ranks to show the disparity:

1. #550 vs. #2889

2. #1788 vs. #4137

3. #2051 vs. #4460

4. #2756 vs. #6537

5. #4040 vs. #6763

6. #4261 vs. #10359

Whatever victory you claim from the Corbin and Waggener score you give away 4-fold in this scenario.

The problem is you are taking by far the toughest team Mayfield played and using that game to offset Waggener.

Let's take those two games out of the equation and compare the rest of the schedule:

1. Danville win vs. Boyle, Mayfield win vs. Union City- Advantage Danville

2. Danville win vs. Tates Creek, Mayfield win vs. Graves County- Advantage Danville

3. Danville win vs. Douglass, Mayfield win vs. McCracken- Advantage Danville

4. Danville win vs. Somerset, Mayfield win vs. Hopkinsville- Advantage Danville

5. Danville win vs. Pulaski Co, Mayfield win vs. Tilghman- Advantage Danville

6. Danville win vs. Knox Central, Mayfield win vs. Murray- Advantage Danville

For fun, here are those same games with their Calpreps ranks to show the disparity:

1. #550 vs. #2889

2. #1788 vs. #4137

3. #2051 vs. #4460

4. #2756 vs. #6537

5. #4040 vs. #6763

6. #4261 vs. #10359

Whatever victory you claim from the Corbin and Waggener score you give away 4-fold in this scenario.

I'm not claiming any victory but I am doing A one game scenario using Mayfield's one loss and Danville's very close game with a team that you would expect Danville to handily beat.

At this point in the season I give Danville no advantage over Mayfield if they were to meet. Same goes for any team in 2A.

Come to War Memorial...where Dreams come to Die.

I know it might seem preposterous to insinuate that the mighty Mayfield Cardinals could ever fly below the radar. But, it kinda feels like that's exactly what they're doing right now.

It seems unusually quiet on the Mayfield front since the loss to Corbin. Between DeSales/CAL last week and Danville/LCA next week, the Cardinals have seemingly taken a backseat to their 2A contemporaries for the time being. That is due, in part, to the fact that Mayfield is lacking a big time district dance partner like the teams mentioned above.

Has the loss to Corbin taken any of the shine off of this Mayfield squad, or are they still every bit the championship contender that Danville, DeSales, and LCA are?

You better believe they are ever bit the championship contender. Anyone that ever counts out Mayfield does so at their own peril!!! I expect them to be right there at the end.

Interesting thread, this Cards team has actually been a bit of a positive surprise for me after losing one of the best QB's and RB's we have had in some time. The schedule rolled out and looked to be murders row but now after having gone through the roughest part of it I cant say the same. UC, PT, Hoptown & McCracken were expected to be better and in some cases a lot better. That said, I will be surprised if this team isn't in Lexington. The Corbin game was actually a positive to me given the situation and fact that we played them even. We are a totally different team with Hurt, Halliburton, Terrell and Gutherie not hurt. Atlanta Cat and some others will be surprised, this is a really good football team that I think is better than last years edition

Union City was ranked #1 in 2A in Tennessee back when Mayfield beat them and they are ranked #2 right now with Mayfield being their only loss. The Corbin game could have gone either way and sometimes you can take a good defeat and learn from it. Graves and McCracken while they aren't world beaters they are solid teams. I also don't think anyone has great read on any team. I would put DeSales at #1 but I believe Mayfield can go toe to toe with them. Danville and LCA are the two teams to me that are hard to get a good read on.

I think Mayfield is just fine.

Graves County is 4-3 without a win vs a winning team.

McCracken is 4-4 without a win vs a winning team.

I don’t call that solid.

I think Mayfield is just fine.

Graves County is 4-3 without a win vs a winning team.

McCracken is 4-4 without a win vs a winning team.

I don’t call that solid.

I go by the eyeball test. Solid doesn't mean you will win games against good teams but that you competitive for the most part. Graves and McCracken have a few pieces missing to make them very competitive.

I figured why not just ask the players what they think. I saw several of them tonight and asked them, is Mayfield "still every bit the championship contender that Danville, DeSales, and LCA are?"

Their response can be summarized as follows: if you want some, come get some!

Interesting thread, this Cards team has actually been a bit of a positive surprise for me after losing one of the best QB's and RB's we have had in some time. The schedule rolled out and looked to be murders row but now after having gone through the roughest part of it I cant say the same. UC, PT, Hoptown & McCracken were expected to be better and in some cases a lot better. That said, I will be surprised if this team isn't in Lexington. The Corbin game was actually a positive to me given the situation and fact that we played them even. We are a totally different team with Hurt, Halliburton, Terrell and Gutherie not hurt. Atlanta Cat and some others will be surprised, this is a really good football team that I think is better than last years edition

Wow...strong words calling them better than last year's team. I know TP well enough to know that he isn't a blow hard. Having not seen this year's edition of the Cardinals (I went to their game against Corbin last year at Lindsey Wilson), TP's words give me pause. As I mentioned earlier, I think this is a toss-up among the three teams in the west. The home field advantage is big for Mayfield, although I don't believe it has anything to do with the mystique of War Memorial. I think it has more to do with a four hour bus trip the day after Thanksgiving. That's a tough task for a bunch of teenagers, especially if the Colts are fortunate enough to get that far. They are SO young. It would not surprise me if such a drastic change in routine threw them off.